Chrono Trigger 3D canceled

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2004
Chrono Trigger 3D canceled

A 3D remake of Chrono Trigger, made by fans (and that actually looked GREAT) has been canned because Square-Enix wasn't happy about the idea.

I don't understand this. If they wanted to release it for free, I don't see how it is illegal. It's like if I draw pictures of Mickey Mouse and give them away, or make a 3D Mickey Mouse game and give it away for the fun of it, with no commercial/monetary kickback.

09 September 2004
Thats sucks. All their hard work for nothing. I was thinking that it got shut down so they could make the remake themselves and it seems the article agrees with me. So heres to hopeing that they do make a remake.

09 September 2004
How ridiculous for a company to put down their own fans.

I see this as prevention: I think Square are saying "maybe sometimes we'll do it" rather than having the project currently underway.

09 September 2004
The same thing happened with a fan based sequal to Space Quest, which is now owned by Microsoft. Its not like they're going to lose money anyways. I think that they should keep making the game and just bring it out as a download on some site.

09 September 2004
Holy crap! I'd never even heard of this project! It looks incredible!

I wonder if the team offered the assets to Square-Enix to finish it off. Now THAT would be ultimate fan devotion!

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by Phil "Osirus": I don't understand this. If they wanted to release it for free, I don't see how it is illegal. It's like if I draw pictures of Mickey Mouse and give them away, or make a 3D Mickey Mouse game and give it away for the fun of it, with no commercial/monetary kickback.
Money is the smallest issue here. You miss the real point. The fans hold absolutely no intellectual property rights to these characters. Just because most companies don't sue or threaten legal action doesn't mean they can't. A copyright holder does not need to enforce their legal rights in order to maintain them. The fans making this remake are stepping on Square-Enix's proverbial toes. The fans did not create the source material and thus have no legal right to create derivative works, even if it is a not for profit creation.

Let me put it in another context. Suppose you create a fantastic CG short film. You've labored over it day and night for a full 2 years. It's an utter work of art. 5 years pass by. Technology is way advanced. Now, some hotshot fans of your short film decide to remake it. Essentially, they deprived you of the opportunity to remake it yourself. Furthermore, any positive or negative press thrust on them can directly affect you. A bad remake could, in theory, tarnish your reputation. If they create a great remake they stand to benefit from your original 2 years worth of work. You'd probably be pretty upset. The fact of the matter is that the copyrights belong to you and you alone for "x" number of years (determined by your country).

In the software world, some fan made remake have been happily tolerated. A perfect example? Wings3D. Originally a clone of Nendo, Izware didn't shut it down because it kept Nendo & Mirai fresh in people's minds. However, they could have killed the project in a heartbeat because it infringed on the design principles set forth by Nichimen.

On the other hand, a developer could choose to shut down a clone project with very little thought. Example? YzDock. Even though it was freeware, Apple threatened legal action because it too closely mimicked OSX's dock.

The tide can turn either way. It doesn't matter if it's fan art, fan fiction, or game remakes. If the rights aren't yours then you always risk legal action.

09 September 2004
Releasing this remake, even for free, would be on par with distributing illegal copies of the original game. Even if you're giving them out for free, it's still stealing. Maybe the engine is different, and it looks nicer, but the game itself is basically the same. They're not just selling the engine and graphics, but the story and music as well. Maybe if the project did not use ANY of these things it would be okay, but then it wouldn't be a Chrono Trigger remake either.

09 September 2004
It's their intellectual property. They can kill the project if they want to.

YouTube Channel
Char Maya Character Rig

09 September 2004
square should have sponsored them and promoted how dedicated their fans are..I mean how old is this game? THey could have really made a great pr move/supported the fan base, instead of being corporate jerks.

I feel bad for the guys working on it, but I think they should do an original project, as they are obviously skilled.

*shamless plug alert* Check out my Character Modeling / Texturing DVD's

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by Floyd Bishop: It's their intellectual property. They can kill the project if they want to.

Wow, you're grumpy. I for one would have loved for a remake. The orginal SNES is going for over $100. I would love to play that game for under $50.

peace,

Lu

09 September 2004
Man how long has this project been going on? ......It looks amazing they realy nailed the style of chrono Trigger.
It does seem a shame to shut down the project this late in the develoment stage they obviously put a lot of hard work into this. I would probably finish it anyway even if it did not get distrubuted.

09 September 2004
I think they've done maybe 0.1% of the entire game. Cutting the project now, doesn't seem all that bad.

edit: The house looks really nice though.

Last edited by creative destructions : 09 September 2004 at 12:57 AM.

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by ntmonkey: Wow, you're grumpy. I for one would have loved for a remake. The orginal SNES is going for over $100. I would love to play that game for under $50.

peace,

Lu

Heh heh heh! I managed to grab it for $5 in Japan! (Although the limited gold edition was around $700).

09 September 2004
I'm at a moot point with this. For one, Square-Enix does have the right to ask for ceasation on exploitation of their own creation. It is very possible that they are currently working on a port of chrono trigger for the GBA and don't want a free version of one of their most popular games out there for the common market. It is similar to an emulated version of the game, and such high level of reproduction when the game is still under copyright is not a good idea.

However, the resurrection project is spectacular (except maybe for the animations), and I think Square-Enix could have at least commended them for such good work. Maybe they did, who knows?

I would love to see the game redone (as well as Secret of Mana), but I would like it done with the care and finesse that Squaresoft are reknown for. The fan work is the most devoted reproduction I have ever seen.

Thread Closed share thread