Game Art Mini Challenge #2 - Gate to a Tomb

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2004   #1
Exclamation Game Art Mini Challenge #2 - Gate to a Tomb

THEME: Create the gate to a tomb, under PS2 restrictions

Welcome to the 2nd mini challenge! This time we're going to tackle something everybody can join in on, and many really should join in on, an environmental set piece. The challenge, to model a gate, or impressive doorway, to a tomb (burial chamber, catacomb, crypt, mausoleum). The style of the game, cartoony, realistic, illustrative, is up to you, but you have to state the style you're going for. That's just so if you say realistic, and it looks cartoony, you'll get appropriate critiques.

RULES/GUIDELINES:

Your mesh must be no more than 600 triangles. The trick is going to be to make it look special mostly with the textures. You can include some of the wall if you want, but all you really have to create is the gate itself, inlcluding what it immediatly connects to.

We want to keep this simple, so we'll assume whatever the game is you're working on, your company wants to squeeze in as many AI as possible. So you get 1 128x128 bmp, and 2 64x64 tga's (with alpha channels), and that's it!

HINT: Tile your textures, and re-use them as much as you can. Clever UVing is going to be the key to this one.

You can post a concept sketch, but you don't have to. If you want to post a concept sketch before submitting your finished work, do so in your WIP thread.

Post your finished pics in the Final Submissions thread, whenever you finish them. Only one post per entry, but you can enter many times if you wish. Feel free to add comments about others work, but as for questions, please PM me, so we can keep this fairly clean (I'll edit this post if the question warrants it). You may make a WIP thread if you wish, but you don't have to.
Posted pics must be no larger than 640x480, or 480x640. You can have larger images if you put a link to them with a thumbnail.

For any submissions, you must include the following:

Screenshot of the mesh without maps, wireframe showing

Screenshot or render of Base mesh with textures applied

Triangle count of base mesh

Which Software(s) you used

This challenge starts right now, and ends on October 17th. That gives you a little under a month and a half, to find time for this, but really it shouldn't take more than a day or 2, that's the point of a mini challenge.

The main challenge will continue to happen as usual, simutaneously with this one, so if you want to enter the main competition, I suggest finishing this one up while we wait for all the votes to be in, and the winner picks the next subject manner.

WIP (work in progress) threads should be labelled as "Mini Challenge #2 - (your user name)". For example, mine would be labelled:

Mini Challenge #2 - Dargon

We need judges! PM me if you're interested in doffing the cap. I'll edit this post as the judges come in.

Judges so far:

Dargon
Supervlieg
Prs-Phil
Artbot

This challenge will be mirrored much like the last one at gaming artist. The prize will be announced if one exists, when I know the details. Check here for details.

Check out the mirrored comp HERE.

For help on Vertex Lighting go HERE.

Last edited by Dargon : 09 September 2004 at 09:26 AM.

Old 09 September 2004   #2
Hey just in case I dont make it in time I'd like to volunteer to pass some judgement around here.

Old 09 September 2004   #3
Great challenge, I love how you came up with an original concept. I'll start sketching some concepts tomorrow or so, cause I'm in!

Old 09 September 2004   #4
i was gonna try but i think i am blind after reading all that bright green text

Old 09 September 2004   #5
So just to clarify... the gate and it's connections (ie hinges etc) is 600 tris? Or if we make a wall section for the gate to be in is that included in the final count?

Old 09 September 2004   #6
Originally Posted by Sheep Factory: i was gonna try but i think i am blind after reading all that bright green text

Fair enough

Quote: So just to clarify... the gate and it's connections (ie hinges etc) is 600 tris? Or if we make a wall section for the gate to be in is that included in the final count?

600 tris whether you add a bit of wall or not. Really what I had in mind was the archway that the tomb gate is attached to, but if you have something really complex in mind, poly wise, just having the door itself would be OK. Much like actual environment modelling, the trick is to make the most out of what you have to work with.

If you were to imagine that you've designed this to work within the poly budgets, and you put the whole 600 into the door itself, you'd be pretty much limiting yourself to a hole in the wall to put it in. If you want a more grandiose setting for the door, incorporate it into the design.

Old 09 September 2004   #7
Originally Posted by Dargon: Fair enough

600 tris whether you add a bit of wall or not.

If you want a more grandiose setting for the door, incorporate it into the design.

Splendid! Just making sure I had the spec right.

Old 09 September 2004   #8
just a note,
the technical limitations on this one seem a bit harsh for todays game engines..

Old 09 September 2004   #9
Tombie

Ok, I'll bite

Model:

havent done the uv's yet. (oh its maya btw)

Last edited by ZeroNeuro : 09 September 2004 at 03:43 AM.

Old 09 September 2004   #10
i am in for it...

Hey can anyone enlighten me on PS2 limitations .. thanks

Old 09 September 2004   #11
Originally Posted by Tad: just a note,
the technical limitations on this one seem a bit harsh for todays game engines..

Seems pretty reasonable to me. The PS2 hardware hasn't gotten any better in the past 4 or 5 years, so you can't really consider it one of todays game engines.

Old 09 September 2004   #12
I love the idea, but I think that the specs are even a little low for the PS2, I mean I can tell that just by playing Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy X, etc etc etc... but that doesn't matter much, I will participate in this challenge in any case...

Old 09 September 2004   #13
hi great i wanna join how do i entre do i need to fill out a forum or what are the steps i never entred a mini contest

Old 09 September 2004   #14
Just my opinion but pretty lame challenge ...how come it's never something like ( Dragon Rider )..... gate to a tomb ??? ... ..and the specs ? I think most people look to put challenge pieces in there portfolio but this does not come off as a good portfolio piece ..anyways

Old 09 September 2004   #15
Originally Posted by pogonip:
Just my opinion but pretty lame challenge ...how come it's never something like ( Dragon Rider )..... gate to a tomb ??? ... ..and the specs ? I think most people look to put challenge pieces in there portfolio but this does not come off as a good portfolio piece ..anyways

prove us wrong.

Thread Closed share thread