Game Art Comp #9: Submissions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2004
Game Art Comp #9: Submissions

Please do not post comments in this forum.
Post comments in the individual participant's threads, or the guidelines thread.

Deadline for entries: Sept. 5th 11pm EST

Your final images (all in the same post) should be posted here for judging. Posting a descriptive link to the images is fine and encouraged, with atleast one image displayed in the post to show off...preferrably the beauty shot.

THE SUBMISSION THREAD:
Requirements:

Info:
1) Short Description of your Character, Uniform, and Period of Time represented.
2) A link to your original thread showing progress.
3) The polygon count (in triangles) of your completed mesh.

1) A concept image of your selected character and selected uniform. The concepts can be a quick doodle, but should be as clear as you can get them, showing as much of your idea as possible. A reference image of the uniform may also be helpful.

2) 1 orthographic front view, 1 orthographic back view, and 1 orthographic side view screencaps of the model. They should be viewport captures of the solid wireframe view mode (or equivalent), with no texturing visible. Compile the 3 views into one image.
Make sure you use default viewport lighting and hide any items that may obscure these screencaps (bones, lights, cameras etc..)

3) Selection of perspective images showing off your character at different angles, or in different poses (if rigged). Images should be compiled into one picture, and it must be no bigger than 1024x768.

4) Show us the texture for the character.
One image showing the color texture used. If you want, you can overlay the UVs on top to show them unwrapped. Also provide links to any other maps used.

5) The beauty shot. Pose your character somehow, and place him in his enviroment. The character can simply be standing at ease, but try to avoid a stiff, lifeless pose used during the design. Render it as you see fit, and use whatever methods you feel will portray it well. Make the image no bigger than 800x600.

JUDGING:

3 points for 1st place
2 points for 2nd place
1 point for 3rd place

Judges are asked to give focused critiques in the areas of:

1. Mesh construction, flexibility, polygon density, topology.

2. UVW mapping and texture painting and manipulation, effective use of normal maps (if used).

3. Unique presentation of the character and accuracy of the uniform, and overall artistic result.

Current judges are:

ElysiumGX
Andy H
Hanzo
Bentllama
Dtrimble
LeeSalo
Dargon

Good luck.

Last edited by ElysiumGX : 09 September 2004 at 01:42 PM.

09 September 2004
Russian Raccoon Soldier
2892 tris
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=157724

The raccoon was always picked on by the other animals for being messy and having no self respect, for digging in trash cans. So he went off and stole a soldier's uniform in an attempt to look formal and gain respect. Well despite his best efforts he still can't resist digging into the first trash can he can find. He took up the Bazooka in an attemp to look cool, despite teh fact that his uniform doesn't match with the weapon choice. Another poor decision by a simple minded creature.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(down-sized from 1024x1024)

Last edited by Neil : 09 September 2004 at 03:55 AM.

09 September 2004
Gorilla- Mughal Empire
3118 Triangles
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=160415

In the early sixteenth century, descendants of the Mongol, Turkish, Iranian, and Afghan invaders of South Asia--the Mughals--invaded India under the leadership of Babur. Two centuries later --The Mughal army is on the move again, Courageous and noble Gorilla is leading his troops through extraordinarily rich architectural majesty, which includes the Taj Mahal and the city of Delhi, on their way to conquer the Deccan and the northwest beyond the KhyberPass.
Uniform: 18th Century suit of green velvet inlaid with gold.

09 September 2004
Rabbit- WWII German soldier
2244 tris

CGtalk WIP thread:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=165766

Story (for those who like to read)
This rabbit is the result of yet infamous and in fact very strange plan of the
Germans (invented during the World War II). At the beginning the plan
was quite simple- the Germans planned to send rabbits in the enemy territories.
The rabbits should had eaten all the carrots in these territories before the German
armed forces have arrived. Carrots are very important because they contain
vitamin “A”, which is important for the vision. No vitamin “A” meant no good
vision of the German’s enemies, which meant victory. But nothing goes as it’s
planned- the Germans soon realized that the rabbits prefer cabbage… So they
decided to create mutant rabbits. This part was successful- the mutants were
very smart, in fact they learned how to fight, talk and even smoke cigarettes.
They received their own uniforms and weapons (MP 40). The rabbit forces
were called “Wabbit SS”. Everything was arranged (even propaganda
posters). But the plan failed again- it came out that the mutation was
only temporary. But it was too late- the rabbits were already sent. So
when the wagons arrived they were full with ordinary rabbits. The Germans
quickly forgot about this unsuccessful plan.
But some of the rabbits remained mutants. They escaped in the mountains.
People call them “Big Foot” (their feet are really big). They do exist, really!

Beauty shot:

"One rabbit, one target (aim), no carrots!"

PS: I apologize for any bother which the signs may cause.

Last edited by Tzax : 09 September 2004 at 12:30 PM.

09 September 2004
British Bulldog Sargeant from the period of the peninsular war (1808-1813).

WIP THREAD
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...13&page=1&pp=15

3348 tris

09 September 2004
Revolutionary Soldier Eagle
2440 tris
Original Thread

I basically wanted to do an all american bald eagle revolututionary soldier.
The clothing is kind of a generic combination of a few different uniforms. The website with my reference decided to go down right when i began to texture.

Original concept

Wires

Poses

Unwrap

Final shot

09 September 2004
Oryx (gemsbok) American Indian Warrior (navajo)

3411 tris

Wip thread

Being the only gemsbok on the North American continent at the time, not to mention the only half gemsbok half human, the Gohwayh tribe saw this legendary warrior as a god. Who led them to victory time and time again.

Original Concept

Body Textures

Weapon Textures

Orthos

Various Views

09 September 2004
Crusader White Lion

3494 tris

WIP thread

A devoted soldier fighting in the name of the cross,marching to Jerusalem......

Wires, Orthos and Concept

Maps

Poses

Good Luck to everyone!

09 September 2004
African/Roman Rhino Gladiator
WIP thread
3483 tris

Fun competition everybody, some really cool entries. Hopefully next time I'll get to spend more time on my entry :(

I did a captured African Chief turned Gladiator -

Didn't do a formal concept drawing, just little doodles here and there, hope that's no big deal. Most of my ideas for the character were taken from this website .

ORTHO:

Poses:

MAPS:
the body map is 1024x1024. The armor map is 512x512. Downsized for display.
diffuse and normal
bump

beauty render:

Last edited by KolbyJukes : 09 September 2004 at 09:57 PM.

09 September 2004
German World War 1 Panda Flametrooper
3494 Tri's - WIP - Thread

CONCEPT DRAWINGS:

ORTHOGRAPHIC VIEWS:

PERSPECTIVE VIEWS:

TEXTURES: (main body 1024 - diffuse + alpha, weapon 512 - diffuse + alpha)
Main body texture downscaled for display.

Posed Render: (Thanks ElisiumGX! )

Good luck to all!!!

Last edited by Serul : 09 September 2004 at 09:58 PM.

09 September 2004
TRIBAL WOLF WARRIOR
Pawnee Tribe

"
A member of the Pawnee tribe, with his mighty fangs and sharp teeth the wolfman striked fear into the hearts of his enermies. Fighting using both his natural weapons and a sharp spear, the wolfman was an unpleasant foe to face..."

3216 triangles (including props) & one 1024x1024px diffuse texture.

Link to work in progress thread

All right, this is it. Unfortunately I didn't have time to finish his totempole/spear-combo in time for the deadline... I had planned to use my 512px texture for that weapon..

Concept Art

Beauty render

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wolf_back.jpg (69.9 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg wolf_wire.jpg (50.2 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg wolf_texture.jpg (44.7 KB, 355 views)

09 September 2004
The deadline has past. We now have 10 submissions. Not bad.

Judges please take time this week to post your critiques for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. View the concepts and renders as a means to judge artistic ability...but focus your critique on the game asset itself (in other words, don't take away points if they forget to post a concept or beauty render). You may post critiques for all 10 entries if you like, or simply reply in the WIP threads.

I'll judge last and announce the winners.

09 September 2004
I broke it down by judging 4 points for each catagory, Possible 12 points for the model that has everything. From these totals I decided who gets my vote for first, second and third.
I was very tough on giving out points.

Neil-Russian Raccoon Soldier
----------------------------
1. Mesh construction...
I like the slump of the neck and head, gives him a cool gesture. The legs and torso are kinda looking flat in the side view.
You where way under the max polycount, and maybe putting more detail in the legs or feet,
or use them in the torso to form a more round one, would be good.(I could see him as a pear shape) The fingertips
look dark in the renders, maybe this is a smoothing issue? I do like your use of opacity maps.Also, he seems to have good leg
deformation in the view of him kneeling. (2points)

2. UVW mapping and texture painting ....
.I Love the raccoon parts of this texture, great job on them. The details on the eye and the
garbage are nicely done too. The clothe could use a few more folds painted, and some attention
to the back of him could be done(detail in the back of the coat, ect...), but it's looking good.(3points)

3. Unique presentation....
He's pretty unique, and I can definitly tell he is a Russian soldier. I like what you wrote about him, but I
wouldn't from just looking at him think of him as simpleminded. Nice lighting in the final render.(3points)

Total(8points)

Monkeybot-Gorilla- Mughal Empire
1. Mesh constru...
The forms are really well defined in this model, and I like how you did the clothe.(3points)

2. UVW mapping...
The texture looks a little flat, and the repeating texture of the clothe doesn't look to have any folds or anything
to break up the pattern.(2point)

3. Unique presentation...
The concept and model are great, the texturing needs just a bit more work. I can see what you are going for with multiple guys standing there in the last render, but they are all standing the same angle, and it is confusing. Also the painting of the background looks unfinished.(3points)

Total(8points)

Tzax-Rabbit- WWII German soldier
1. Mesh construct....
The mesh looks clean, but the shapes look kinda unrefined(as far as the silhouette.) (2points)

2. UVW mapping...
The map looks realy good on the model, and the hands and boots really stand out as well done.
The eyes could have been brought out, with some highlights.(4points)

Although creating a Nazi soldier is a very common theme because they make good bad guys, you have a very unique spin on it with your backstory. The poster is just cool.(3points)

Total(9points)

Funkyrayuk-British Bulldog Sargeant from the period of the peninsular war (1808-1813).
1. Mesh constru...
You have a lot of good shapes starting, but some things stand out as needing work: knee/Leg muscles,
shoulders(too wide,) hat rim. His gesture is nice in all the views though.(2points)

2. UVW mapping...
The texture stands out as very fun. There is a lot of unused space though.
Also, in the renders you can see a seam on his left leg.(2points)

3. Unique presenta...
It is a cool concept, and a very recognizable costume. The final render is a good idea, but his placement looks kinda strange(maybe a composition issue.)(3points)

Total(6points)

Digdoug-Revolutionary Soldier Eagle
1. Mesh constr...
You kept the polycount low, and really, he doesn"t look lower than some of the higher poly entries.
The hat could have used a little more detail to hold the curves, but very nitpicky type stuff.(4points)

2. UVW mapping...
Great Map! I think it may be a good thing your reference went offline, cause you map has style!
Layout looks good too.The map really helps him look like a completed ingame model.(4points)

3. Unique presen...
Your poses look more interesting than your final shot, and he isn't the most original idea, but your overall presentation was very tight. The character also looks to have a lot of personality.(3points)

Total(11points)

Devised_Poly-Oryx (gemsbok) American Indian Warrior (navajo)
1. Mesh constr...
Your mesh has a lot going for it, it is very round where it needs to be in the torso and face,
and I like the way you used opacity maps to make the headdress and feathers. His shield stands out as blocky, and his legs and arms, and hands could use some more shaping(anatomy!) (2points)

2. UVW mapping ...
The texture has some parts that stand out as well done, (the detail in the torso, and the feathers) but there is color bleading under his pecs, and the shading and detail isn't consistant. Also on his arms you can see some hard edges making seams, I can't tell if this is due to smoothing groups or to a texture seam.(1point)

The concept is sound, and the uniform looks accurate. Unfortunately, I don't see a full shot of the front of him with the texture on him, so it is a bit hard to judge the overall model. I would have loved to see him in a battle pose,or dancing or something.(2points)

Total(5points)

terraarc-Crusader White Lion
1. Mesh constru...
While the mesh looks good overall, and defintely the mouth is sweet, there is just some things off about the modeling of the muzzle (sideview.) Also, his clothe over his armor looks kinda flat, no overlapping over his belt,or folds like you see in the reference. The armor on his shoulders is cool, and seems to deform well in your renders. (2points)

2. UVW mapping...
The texture has a very realistic theme, and the detail is pretty consistant and working well. As I said in the no.1 catagory, I would have liked to see some clothe like wrinkles, and the shield come out as a little undetailed(even with your good spec map,) but still great effert on it!(3points)

3. Unique present...
The concept is not very unique, but the execution was very good. The action shots show he has the potential to have a variety of expressions on his face, and the shots are exciting.(3points)

Total(8points)

Kwak-African/Roman Rhino Gladiator
-----------------------------
1. Mesh construc...
Great shaping, deforms good in the rendered shots, not much more to comment on.(4points)

2. UVW mappin...
Normal mapping really helped him. The painted map works well with it. There is a few spots where the detail thins out- his face(especailly his lips,) the pec muscles, the finger and toe(No nails.)(3points)

3. Unique presenta...
Although presentation is good; the very small amount of costume required to be considered a gladiator has not helped the Uniqueness of your character.Also when i was looking at him I can't help thinking of the cave troll from Lord of the Rings. The final shot is very nice, especailly the blood from the arrow wound. (3points)

Total(10points)

Serul-German World War 1 Panda Flametrooper
1. Mesh construct...
Looks good, great shapes, I don"t see much you could change.The gasmask eyeholes are
looking a little lowpoly.(4points)

2. UVW mapping...
Very clean map, but not a lot of detail, as far as shading, but it works well with your character.(4points)

A lot of flamethrower characters have been created, but I never have seen a panda one. Even though it is not a requirement to have him rigged for a beauty render, I would have liked to see him holding the flame thrower and posed.Also, I think a little more thought into what a panda flametrooper would carry with him could have pused the Uniform in a more creative way(like does he carry a pack of smokes or a picture of his wife,a med kit for his burns, ect..)(2points)

Total(10points)

Sysop-Tribal Wolf Warrior
1. Mesh construct...
The legs are a little odd, I think the lowest part of his leg could be more thin, showing the bone makeup. Everything else looks good to me.(3points)

2. UVW mapping...
The texture is very nicely painted, but there are seam issues(the feet, where the arms meet the torso.)(2points)

Whenever you do a wolf with human characteristics, you are going to run into the problem of him looking like a werewolf, and this guy just looks like a werewolf to me. the concept painting was cool, and the costume is good, but he needs some
work to bring out the uniqueness of the design. The render of him make him look viscious, I think the totem pole weapon may have helped him look a little more like a
tribal warrior.(2points)

Total(7points)

So my votes go as follows:

1st Digdoug-Revolutionary Soldier Eagle
2nd Serul-German World War 1 Panda Flametrooper
3rd Kwak-African/Roman Rhino Gladiator

Honorable mention to Tzax for his great texture work.

09 September 2004
Once again, its a bit of a disapointment that so few could make the (ludicrously generous!) deadline.
There are some great entries here, so im gonna be extra critical and picky.

Neil - Racoon soldier
Great, simple concept with a funny backstory. Nice clean wires, if a little sparse around his hips / crotch. This creates a problem when it deforms a few of the poses. The proportions and the posture / placement of the head go together really well. Nice textures, with good layout and UV distribution, but i feel that some of the cloth textures are a little plain with not much emphasis on light and shadow, dirt or creases. Good presentation.

Monkeybot - Mughal gorilla
Original choice of warrior, if a little predictable having a gorilla as it. Good geometry, with sensible mesh flow - particularily on the cloth on his shoulders. I think the head could definately use fewer polys, and more could be used on the hands, which dont seem to have as much definition as the rest of the body. Poses are average - i wouldve liked to have seen more of the gorillas natural stances in them - he looks too human - especially on the walking pose. Functional textures, if a little basic. More shading and detail would be nice - especially on his skin and fur, and more variation on his clothes. Poor beauty render - multiple clones of the character positioned badly, and all in the same poses. The lighting doesnt match at all, and the photoshopped background doesnt fit.

Tzax - WWII Rabbit
Nice topology with a neatly modeled gun. The porportions are dissapointingly standard (man with an animals head) and seem very chunky and shapeless for such an agile creature. Textures are excellent - by far the best thing about it - really brings it to life. Nice colours too. Good beauty render. An excellent piece only slightly let down by the chunky arms and legs and small head.

Funkyrayuk - Bulldog
This piece has improved a lot since you started it, and i feel that you learned a lot. Good proportions and posture, but the arms and legs seem a little bendy. Functional mesh, with few wasted polys. nicely unwrapped UVs, but i think some of it is a bit wasteful - the giant space allocated to the eye for instance - yet you cant make out any of the detail on the final piece. Textures are painted ok, if a little too blurry and over saturated. More detail on the clothes would improve it. Beauty render is ok, but the lighting doesnt match, shadows look too sharp and the pose seems a little limp, but its a nice idea. Placing game characters into photographs is always a tricky business.

DigDoug - Revoloutionary eagle
Excellent design with very good proportions. Good topology, with a well modeled head and legs. Nice poses, but the eyes look kinda dead, like they cant move around. superb uv placement, colours and painting skills - especially on the feathered areas and the feet. Not sure what kind of pose hes striking in the beauty render - it looks kinda awkward and unnatural, and the fingers look really blocky - even for low poly.

Devised poly - Navajo Oryx
Clean mesh with good muscle definition. The legs seem a little shapeless compared to the well made shoulders and arms. Proportions are a bit too 'man like' in my opinion. well painted textures - especially for the weapons but the body texture seems a little simplified though - almost like its cel shaded or something.

Terraarc - Crusader lion
Nice idea and concept. Good geometry, but i think his chest is unnaturally wide on the front view, yet the shoulders are not. I think broader shoulders wouldve made this look better. The whole torso seems really straight and flat, and its difficult to tell where his waist is. Nice cat-like feet. Excellent, detailed textures - especially on the head and arms. Overall, a great model, with a few flaws on the body shaping.

Kwak - rhino gladiator
Brilliant mesh with equally brilliant poly distribution and proportions. Good muscle definition, especially on the arms and legs. Good design, with nice asymmetry - he LOOKS strong and mighty. Incredible textures! Some of the best ive seen - up to pre-rendered quality. Good beauty render - shows off the model really well, but it also hilights a lighting/ texturing problem with the mouth.

Serul - Flametrooper panda.
Probably the best design in the competition - its just great! Original animal and weapon choice. Fantastic proportions and a really tidy mesh with very nice hands and shoulders. Good uv layout with well painted textures. I think that the maps could use more shading and detail especially on the jacket and fur. Thats the only lil thing that could improve it.

Sysop - Tribal wolf
Well realised concept painting, that is very close to the final model. Great proportions, with very well modeled arms and legs. The chest muscles are well defined. Outstanding texture painting, with amazing looking fur all over and shading and fake shadows that really add to it. Great colours too. Fantastic beauty render that really gives him a prescence and shows off the whole thing well. Its a shame he couldnt be posed. The only faults i can see is that the skull on his shoulder could do with rounder eye sockets, and sharp edges on the teeth. The top of the feet have a rather unsightly seam, and the eyes on the character look a little too glowy as well.

Ok here we go! It was extremely hard deciding between sysop and seruls entries, but kwak's was definately my favourite.

1st place - KWAK - Rhino gladiator - 3 points
2nd place - Sysop - Tribal wolf - 2 points
3rd place - Serul - flametrooper panda - 1 point

Congrats to the winner and to all who finished!

09 September 2004
Totally dont agree with the first round of judging,

I would have to agree with the second judge...

The rhino is the best for sure I think.

Last edited by roarty : 09 September 2004 at 04:31 PM.

Thread Closed share thread