CGTalk > Technical > Technical and Hardware
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-30-2004, 07:03 PM   #1
Lawsy

Graphics cards

I am pretty new to the whole microsoft computers and widows things, and I don't know what graphics card my PC has and I was wondering how to find out on a computer that runs windows XP home edition 2002. I cannot get Halo to work on my PC, apparently because of my graphics card. I went down to my local PC shop and asked them what graphics card would be the best to buy. He said it depends if your computer is old it might not support the new Nvidia graphics cards and will only run them at half the power, or something. Do you know what specs I would have to have to run the latest graphics cards and my PC. If you do that would be a real help.

- Lawsy

Old 08-30-2004, 08:40 PM   #2
T[iNs]S
Veteran

Go to your control Panel -- System-- Hardware tab -- Device Manager and click on display adapters. This will tell you your graphic card. If your PC is an OEM (HP, compaq, Dell, etc) and is not brand new, there is a good chance you don't have a AGP slot (Accelerated Graphic port). I you don't, I'm sorry to say you will have to forget playing halo on this computer because it will not run any decent 3d card.

Hope this helps

EDIT: I guess a computer with an AGP 4x slot and a good power supply will be able to run any new graphic card.

Old 08-31-2004, 12:44 AM   #3
lots
Lord of the posts

simply right clicking in an empty space on the desktop and hitting properties.. then clicking the settings tab will bring up the video card name and model as well..

Also you need to find out your CPU speed and ammount of ram (just good things to know..) because you will want to be able to match your hardware with the best possible graphics card for your system.. this doesnt always mean the greatest and best thing there is out there..

To find out how much ram you have and what type of CPU, just right click on "my computer" and hit properties.. a window will pop up showing you the version of windows and some basic specs about your computer (cpu and ram)

judging by the fact you run XP, and im assuming this was a computer purchased from best buy, like a HP or Compaq.. you will be able to add most any modern graphics card.. but keep in mind im only speculating based on what little information you've provided with your computer

if you could post the brand name and model number of the machine that would help too...

Old 09-01-2004, 09:29 PM   #4
lui 2.0
Veteran

Lui Fontillas
Manila, Philippines

??

sup m8s! im also new to customizing pc parts and now im looking for a good graphics card to work with. im not really into gaming but more into video editing, photoshop, painter, and to 3ds as well. Any good graphics card for me? and oh, how about a motherboard? im actually looking for a system that can be overclocked. help please? sorry i just use PCs but i never really learned fixin it.

thanks

Old 09-02-2004, 04:53 AM   #5
maninflash
Frequenter
Michael Lee
Animation Student
USA

Nvidia graphic cards are usualy good and stable as far as 3D goes. you could check them out on www.nvidia.com , The Quadro series, specificaly 1100 works fine with Adobe Premier, photoshop, Maya and Combustion that we have here and I have tested. Most softwares would give you a list of their supported graphic cards, so check their website.

Regarding motherboard, it really depends on what CPU you plan to use, Intel or AMD, once you decided that, then you could do a search in google and read some benchmarks to find the best boards.

Assuming that your next question will be about CPUs! AMD 64bit CPUs have better memory bandwidth and faster bus, which on 3D and video application that demand a lota ram to work in real time, would actualy be a plus, they do, however, get very hot, so you need to install exhaust fans on your case, which would make some noise. Intel, on the other hand, has Hyper Threading built in which would make a virtual CPU and present that to your operating system (keep in mind that WinXP home can not see more than one cpu, so you need to have XP Pro), so some applications like mental ray, photoshop (using most of its filters) would benefit from having 2CPUs (or four if you have a dual intel xeon). My personal suggestion would be AMD 64bit, even thou I work with Dual Xeon!

Old 09-02-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
lui 2.0
Veteran

Lui Fontillas
Manila, Philippines

thanks dude. im not really sure what to get (pentium or AmD) tho my real concern is the speed and then im really intrigued by the term "overclocking" which seems to be interesting. i dunno what thing is to be overclocked and the requirements/compatibility issue. please advice

thanks

Old 01-19-2006, 03:00 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread