Inquisitor Space Marine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2004   #1
Inquisitor Space Marine

Ok this is my first time posting a "Work In Progress" project. This sketch and the ones to come are just a test to a larger project of the color and style I would like to get in the next project.

Ok here is the project. I love the Warhammer 40k World and I thought I would give a good try and make a Character Design of what I thought I Inquisitor in space marine armor might look like. I also used a chain sword insead of a power sword becuase I like the thought of using something like that on the battle field. Its mean and meaty. If any of you have used a chain saw to cut a tree down or anything like that you know what I mean. I also but my Character in a really cool postion and angle to show his profitigence at using the sword.

Ok what I need some help on is how to make the armor look like either silver/gold or some other nice looking shiny material. Know I have Photoshop and I know how to use it quite well, since I use it everyday to do graphic design. But for some reason I can seem to get the material I want. So any help in that department will help me out alot.

So with out any further due. Here is my start of this project.

Old 08 August 2004   #2
Good start - I would change his eyes. He seems a bit bored. Also its unclear what he is doing with his left hand. Looks like he's about to toss a coin

Old 08 August 2004   #3
well the eyes I am going to fix in the painting stage of things. The hand problem will also get fixed in the painting stage as well. That hand is there as a block function. As you sweep the sword across or stabe the other arm will act as a shield or at the very most parry the next enemy blow.

I am almost done with the Head and will be posting a update soon.

Again thats for any help or further help with this project.

Old 08 August 2004   #4
Update time boys and girls. Feast your eyes on this. Please give me your ideas for changes thank you.

Old 09 September 2004   #5
here's what i'd do:

Set the pencil drawing layer to multiply, and make a new layer under that one.

Paint your colors the lower layer with dark colors, and add some highlights here and there.

Flatten the image, then use "smudge" on your sketch and paint to make a nice, fluid drawing. Lightly smudge on the lines, and harshly on the insides.

When you're happy with the smudging, start coloring using hard round brushes at about 10-20 percent opacity for smoothness and nice color blending. If there's ever too much banding, use smudge (again)

To highlight metal, the Dodge tool set on highlight is best. To make it look old and worn, take a one pixel brush at about 60-90 percent opacity and add scratches and smidgons of gunmetal at the edges of plates, and the plate seams.

Old 09 September 2004   #6
this is what I came up with for the final render of the head. From this point I am going to do the armor.

Old 01 January 2006   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread