can't get my comp to boot from cd???

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2004
can't get my comp to boot from cd???

hey!!

how do i get my computer to boot from the cd?
i have set up the bios so that the boot order is now....

1. floppy
2. cd-rom
3. hdd-0

i get a little message saying "boot cd" or something similar.
but then the computer just boots normally.
i have the xp disk in the cd-rom, i was told that if i boot from this disk then i will get options to re-install windows, change partitions etc.
what am i doing wrong?
any ideas?

Cheers!!

08 August 2004
I recommend creating a boot floppy (6 discs I think) and boot from that. That almost never fails and at some point the boot floppies will ask for the CD to finish whatever you are doing.

You could also try changing the order so that the CD drive comes before the FDD, though it shouldn't matter.

08 August 2004
I had simillar problem couple of days ago when I had to re-format and re-install XP. What worked for me was changing the order CD first, then floppy and disabling HD (from within BIOS). It will force your comp to read CD since it can no longer see HD. After installation and first re-start, re-start your comp again and re-enable your HD in BIOS. That's it At least it worked for me.

08 August 2004
Damn I've posted my reply but it's not here ok one more time.

Change order of bootable devices to 1.CD - 2.Floppy - disable HD - save and restart.
It will force your comp to read from CD. Re-enably HD after installation.
It worked for me.

08 August 2004
Every system is different but...

If you already have an OS installed, most systems will check the hard drive for a viable start.
When you first see Boot from CD-ROM, hit any keyboard key. This should get you through to the CD-ROM.

richcz3

08 August 2004
hey!!

thanks for the replies guys. i will give your suggestions a try.

cheers!

08 August 2004
hey!!

i still can't get the computer to boot from the cd.
do i have to disable the HD as a boot device? or do i have to completely disable the hard drive?

if i have to completely disable it, where in the bios would that usually be?
i can only find an option to turn off the write cache. is that it?

thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

cheers!!

08 August 2004
hey!!

ok. so i finally got the computer to try and boot from the cd by completely disabling the HD.
but now i get an error saying "Boot Disk Failure, insert system disk." i'm guessing that means that the disk i have isn't a bootable one?

any one know how to create a xp pro boot disk?
and is it quite easy for someone who doesn't really know that much about computers?

thanks.

cheers!!

08 August 2004
is your XP disc an upgrade disc?

08 August 2004
hey!!

no, it's not an upgrade. it's the full version

i can't even make a floppy boot disk coz i ain't got any floppy disks :(

cheers!!

08 August 2004
Looks like you will have to get some Floppies, fortunatly they are cheap, you will need 6.

The article on Microsoft's site: http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;310994 has the download file and the instructions for creating the boot floppies.

Excerpt:

Create the Setup disks
When you download the Setup disks, the download contains only one large program file. When you run the downloaded file, it extracts the files. You receive the following prompt: This program creates the Setup boot disks for Microsoft Windows XP. To create these disks, you need to provide 6 blank, formatted, high-density disks.

Please specify the floppy drive to copy the images to:

Type the drive letter for the floppy disk drive (this is typically drive A). After you type the floppy disk drive letter, you receive the following prompt: Insert one of these disks into drive drive letter:. This disk will become the Windows XP Setup Boot Disk.

Press any key when you are ready.

When you press a key, the downloaded file starts to extract and copy the files. Continue to insert the blank disks as you are prompted to do so until all six disks are created. If the process is interrupted, you must run the downloaded program file again to create all six disks.

Make sure to label each disk appropriately with the number that is specified by the program. You must use the disks in the correct order during the Setup process.

Use the Setup disks

After you create all six disks, insert the first disk in the floppy disk drive, and then restart the computer. The computer must be configured to boot from the floppy disk drive. You may have to modify the BIOS settings on your computer to do this.

The Setup process starts. Insert the other floppy disks as you are prompted to do so. You must use the Windows XP CD-ROM to finish the Setup process.

Last edited by Velk : 08 August 2004 at 02:34 PM.

08 August 2004
http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#wxp
this works.

08 August 2004
YOu tried everything that had to be tried and it still doesn't boot. Looks most definitely like a non-bootable CD to me.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread