ILM Reporting for War of the Worlds VFX Duty?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2004   #1
ILM Reporting for War of the Worlds VFX Duty?

Quote:
"It looks like the heavy vfx duties on the new WAR OF THE WORLDS feature from Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks will be done by vfx supervisor Dennis Murenand Industrial Light & Magic, according to the HOLLYWOOD REPORTER. Steven Spielberg is directing the remake of H.G. Wells’ novel with Tom Cruise set to star in the pic stet to shoot in November 2004.
"
>>Link for more<<

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 08 August 2004   #2
9/10 Spielberg uses ilm

Flickr

MDI Digital

Old 08 August 2004   #3
I still think they do the best work. Weta is of course geat, but as far as creatures, I still think ILM and Framestore do the best work.

Commence bashing...

Old 08 August 2004   #4
I didn't know an adaptation was being made. I wonder if it will be set in mordern times? After Mask Attack and Sky Captain they wil have to come up with something quite original.

Old 08 August 2004   #5
ILM still rule the roost.

And I believe this production of WOTW will ditch the Victorian setting for modern-day wherever-in-the-good'ol-USA...

Old 08 August 2004   #6
I didn't know an adaptation was being made

i think Tom Cruse will star

Flickr

MDI Digital

Old 08 August 2004   #7
yeah... uhhh... this is a surprize? hehe. FX-heavy Spielberg flicks always require the assistance of the big guns (ILM).

Old 08 August 2004   #8
<<I still think they do the best work. Weta is of course geat, but as far as creatures, I still think ILM and Framestore do the best work.>>

Tippett Studios!!!...Don't forget them.They do awesome creatures too!

Old 08 August 2004   #9
yeah... uhhh... this is a surprize? hehe. FX-heavy Spielberg flicks always require the assistance of the big guns (ILM).

Not only the FX heavy, but most of his films "non-FX", including Amistad, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan and Empire of the Sun, though lately he has been turning to boutiques for the smaller projects like Asylum in CatchMe If You Can.

Old 08 August 2004   #10
Re: Codenamejyn.

Of course - Phil Tippet pretty much made his name at ILM!

Old 08 August 2004   #11
Originally Posted by bobzilla: I still think they do the best work. Weta is of course geat, but as far as creatures, I still think ILM and Framestore do the best work.
not bashing but are you forgetting gollum....the hulk or any of the creatures in the star wars movies...they are not better then gollum....I'm not putting them down by any means but people need to start looking at the talent not just the name....alot of people go with ILM because they are ILM....Weta needs to be looked at more so that they do more then just the movies for Peter Jackson...thats all I'm saying...

Old 08 August 2004   #12
codenamejyn: Tippet Studios...yes...absolutely. From stop motion to GoMotion to the digital realm...I remember the journey...

idigm: Yes...Gollum was amazing. Definitley in a class by itself. The compositing for him was about even with the animation to me in the "wow" department. I think compositors are the unsung heros of the VFX world.

With ILM, I think the dinos of Jurassic Park still stand up well today, which is pretty amazing in the hi tech film industry. So does T2 and even the psuedo pod from the Abyss.

Old 01 January 2006   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread