Character: Alien Beast Enemy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2004   #1
Character: Alien Beast Enemy

Me and another buddy of mine are making the same thing and this post is here for the public to evaluate us. Its a friendly challenge if you will. Below is the concept we are working from. I have added the color for the scheme that i'm going to work with.

SPECS: 500 polys, 128x128 text map.

Concept is done by: Nick Kondo

Another: enemy i did for the same reason is located at:http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=158920

Old 08 August 2004   #2
That looks sweet, I cant wait

Old 08 August 2004   #3
500 triangles

Old 08 August 2004   #4
Looks cool... where's your friends?

nice concept

Old 08 August 2004   #5
Looks great, good use of polys, and bang on 500

The only problem for me is that it isn't as true to the concept as I expected. In the concept the creature is very low and heavy looking at the front, and I'm not really getting this from the model. Maybe you could spread the front legs/arms a little more and make the knee/elbow stick out more. Also, the "poison sac" on his back is not as rounded in the concept, and it doesn't span the creature's whole back. I think you should try moving some verts round to get it the right effect.

Can't wait to see some textures and I'm looking forward to seeing how you get that webbed look on the hind legs

Old 08 August 2004   #6
Wow, yet another one, man you bang these out with no problem, I like the Illustration and your models are always clean, I wish you could share some modeling techniques, the Metroid Prime monster was dope and now this one, very clean, I can wait to see the texture on this (your making me work even harder )

Old 08 August 2004   #7
uggly :

Old 08 August 2004   #8
OLDBEAN: Good eye and nice crit. Your are 100% correct

MINDROT: My Buddy has not posted here yet, but you can find our work at http://drewshy.com/aftermath/viewtopic.php?p=788#788

THE ROOKIE: While your sleeping somone is getting better than you. That mean work untill you go crazy, become 300 pounds, and ordering a pizza is your excersize because you are too busy and lazy. My secret to modeling:

1) make a lot of models first.
2) Make ORGANIC, TECHNICAL, ENVIORMENT, CHARACTERS, and FANASY
3) when you have three points and the point in the middle is not sticking out, delete it.
4) Triangles are your friend, not everthing has to absolute quads
5) Do not make anything ANIME. You may like it but the professional world will not hire you on your FF9 character making skills. You will never get a job in Japan.

Here's my test to you, THE ROOKIE. design a tribal tatoo and make it in 3d. It's real easy.

Old 08 August 2004   #9
i dont know what im doing! HELP ME!

Last edited by Folliculus : 08 August 2004 at 07:31 PM.

Old 08 August 2004   #10

This is my first post on here, im sorta dumb so im having a hard time figuring out how it works, ha.

Last edited by Folliculus : 08 August 2004 at 07:33 PM.

Old 08 August 2004   #11
Thanks YerEvilTwin, I'm actually upset that I even slept last night, I hear you on the anime stuff, loud and clear, I have been given a task thoe, but that will be discussed later in the future, a tribal tattoo... hmm... I can do a flat ass design, but I think I'm going to have to flesh it out better than that, my problem is, I'm still getting use to polys and trying to make them clean, or at least model it clean, I was a Nurbs maniac, until I seen what was being done with polys and how clean they are, and now there machines that can handle them, also I'm using Maya, so learning the tools and techniques has taken a little bit of time, I'll get there, but the texturing on your model is dope , very clean, I'll keep watching, and I'll take you up on the tribal tattoo thing, I have been modeling in quads, which is not a problem but jumping right into tri's and attempting to model with tri stripping in mind has become a little hard, but I'm figureing it out, it's just unbelieveable how clean your geometry is and a low count, I have learned to understand the poly limit and how to work in that parimeters, but this is the cleanest I've seen so far, especially the Metroid Prime Character/ Monster, I'll get there

Old 08 August 2004   #12
nate whatareyadoin. Crop your images. put them all on a nice 800x600. One with the texture and one with the wire.

Old 08 August 2004   #13
Once again pretty dope and pretty clean, are you guys working with the Game Cube in any way form or fashion (Still excellent regardsless)

Old 08 August 2004   #14
ha, sorry about the "newbie post" fellas, these "computers" and their "rules"

Old 08 August 2004   #15
my color scheme

Thread Closed share thread