Just Joined The XSI World - Officially!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2004   #1
Talking Just Joined The XSI World - Officially!

Hey SI'ers!

Thought I'd drop in and say "Hi!"

It's been a while since I participated in the Softimage forum. I was using EXP off and on for the last couple of years but ended up buying LightWave because at the time the price was right and I couldn't pass up the Digital Fusion bundle deal. XSI is extremely nice but the pricetag wasn't.

But thanks to the recent XSI price cuts I've just placed my order for Foundation! One day perhaps I can upgrade to Essentials (or to dream - Advanced). Hope to get the parcel in a couple of weeks but apparently I can download the licensed version upon authorization from Avid. Can't wait to get into it and all those DVDs!

I plan to continue to use LW and incorporate XSI into my workflow. Hopefully DFX+ can be used w/ XSI for compositing.

Listen: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Last edited by Signal2Noise : 08 August 2004 at 06:47 PM. Reason: fixed a typo.

Old 08 August 2004   #2
Welcome aboard mate

Don't forget to leave time to go through those DVD's. I've been watching them for what seems like days, and I've only just got onto the second one

Old 08 August 2004   #3
you know the sound your mouse made when you clicked on the checkout button?
that was the sound of inevitability.

welcome.

Old 08 August 2004   #4
Hey welcome dude (officially and all heh !) We need more signal here anyway...

Old 08 August 2004   #5
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: you know the sound your mouse made when you clicked on the checkout button?

You crack me up Raffaele

Cheers
Bernard

Old 08 August 2004   #6
Talking

welcome my friend

Old 08 August 2004   #7
It's going to take weeks for you to get your package? Was there an option for like 3 day service or something? Just curious, cause I want to get it but I don't feel like waiting weeks...

What's this download thing you mention? Full version?

Old 08 August 2004   #8
power where are you mines only took a week after ordering

Old 08 August 2004   #9
according to the Avid site, they aren't starting shipping until August 16th

Old 08 August 2004   #10
Originally Posted by powerwave3d: It's going to take weeks for you to get your package? Was there an option for like 3 day service or something? Just curious, cause I want to get it but I don't feel like waiting weeks...

What's this download thing you mention? Full version?

From the Softimage Store page:

"Please Note: This product will only start shipping the week of August 16th, 2004. Upon purchase, you can download, install, register and start using XSI Foundation immediately!"

Old 08 August 2004   #11
Welcome, yet another LightWave user adding XSI to their toolset

Hmm interesting that you can download and run a version already... I wonder how they set that up without the dongle.

Old 08 August 2004   #12
i was gonna buy it - but then i realised i dont have a credit card and they dont accept paypal :(

Old 08 August 2004   #13
Originally Posted by Leigh: Welcome, yet another LightWave user adding XSI to their toolset

Hmm interesting that you can download and run a version already... I wonder how they set that up without the dongle.

AFIAK the new low price foundation version doesn't have a dongle, it only runs off a serial number. i guess that was one way to cut it's cost...

Old 08 August 2004   #14
Originally Posted by tachy0n: AFIAK the new low price foundation version doesn't have a dongle, it only runs off a serial number. i guess that was one way to cut it's cost...

its probably the same as the demo i just downloaded - when i started it up it asked me to enter a serial number or continue evaluation

Old 08 August 2004   #15
When I got home from work there was an email from Softimage waiting for me with my order confirmation and serial number. However when I got to download Foundation via the link provided in the email I get a message that I'm not authorized to do so. Maybe it takes a while for it to get all set?

[EDIT] After a bit of Doom III and near cardiac arrest I took a break to try downloading Foundation again. It worked! 178MB later and I'll be XSI'ing!

Last edited by Signal2Noise : 08 August 2004 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Update

Thread Closed share thread