Frightened Knight, Laverdet (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2004
Frightened Knight, Laverdet (3D)

Title: Frightened Knight
Name: Laverdet
Software: Zbrush2

hello!... modelled in rhino and zbrush 2, and rendered in zbrush2... I was interested by the obvious deplacement of the composition, wich is at the frontier of composition's mistake, and, (I think) works anyway... it's always fun to play with aesthtic concepts, such as dynamic symmetry, and lettering-like composition, to "disturb" these concepts and goe on something different:!...ps/ I hope I am understandable, because I speak a so poor english, and loose my dictionary!... so I try to talk with a little dozen of words, which is contracting the sense, I'm afraid! maybe there is french on this site, and it can be in different langage?...

08 August 2004
Originally Posted by celmar:

Title: Frightened Knight
Name: Laverdet
Software: Zbrush2

hello!... modelled in rhino and zbrush 2, and rendered in zbrush2... I was interested by the obvious deplacement of the composition, wich is at the frontier of composition's mistake, and, (I think) works anyway... it's always fun to play with aesthtic concepts, such as dynamic symmetry, and lettering-like composition, to "disturb" these concepts and goe on something different:!...ps/ I hope I am understandable, because I speak a so poor english, and loose my dictionary!... so I try to talk with a little dozen of words, which is contracting the sense, I'm afraid! maybe there is french on this site, and it can be in different langage?...
Don't worry ,
i understood what you meant !
And it looks awesome ! On this site there are so many people who are VERY good , that's why i can't give much critique , because i am NOT that good YET ..

08 August 2004
simply awsome. only crit would be that the specular on the metal is a bit high. other than that it's perfect. can we see a wireframe?

08 August 2004
Yeah , awesome work but i think the metal and chains are not so real like the guy.....

4 stars from me

08 August 2004
wow, love the face... one of the most realistic i've seen. But yeah, the chains mainly could look more real.... four stars, for sure though...

08 August 2004
thank you for your comments!.. and yes, there is a trade off, around the render engine of zbrush: it allows an incredible level of precision and detail,which is perfect for pôrtrait, but don't allow hdri or environnement mapwhich is bad for metal... here, it's a pure zbruish render... more and mopre, on that sort of picture, I use to render once in zbrush, and once in carrara, where hdri is very fine rendered; then "mix" in phototshop; a little bory, but by the "direct application" of the color allopwed by zbrush, you can really achieve a unique photorealism...I join the "white" step, before coloring, in zbrush... it's not wireframe, but you can have an idea of the modelling... I'll find the 3d tools for wireframe...

08 August 2004
Very realistic face... but probably too realistic for the rest of the render. I think you should cut down the specular lighting on the armor and improve the DOF. Maybe darken the background some too.

Also, the angle of the knight's head bugs me. It looks like his forehead is tiny or has been cut off. Maybe you should try angling it foward or something.

08 August 2004
i still can bliev the face is not a photo. even in zbrush. The fact that its a zbrush render shows though on the metal but the face is perfect. I would sugest more focus on the face maybe some radial blur (aslo sugests fear) and have the camera allitle tighter on his face. The problem is that there is specular in zbrush bit no reflection which would be a must for realistic metal.

i still cant get over that face. The face is so good and... I just still cant get over it. its too good. wow the skin around the eyes just has that limpness and the color. How was the hair achieved. Great work.

08 August 2004
very realistic face. Did you use a reference.

08 August 2004
I agree with others - very realistic face, not very realistic armour. But don't get me wrong - I like it a lot.

08 August 2004
Geesh! That head is so real it looks out of place. Maybe some lighting attention would help convince me that the head and the armor are part of the same image. A rim-light definitely could help-- so you'd get nice bright highlights on his left side.
hen

08 August 2004
wonderful face!!!
I think the face is super much better than the armour~
good job.
Life is so short...Dance naked

08 August 2004
that face is so realistic-one of the best I've seen..just can't understand why the armour
doesn't quite match the realism in the render, but then I have no idea how Z-Brush works.
fantastic job otherwise

08 August 2004
the face looks superb. only thing is the metal tho. otherwise fantastic.

08 August 2004
effectively, you make me the envy (? not sure of the world) to re- render it in a different manner... once again: the way you apply the color on the geometry, in zbrush 2, allows a so precise position, and so "saturated", that render portraits, or organic pieces, is perfect... but on metal, you have, more or less, what you have in other softs if you desabbled Hdri, or environnement map... it's why I 've choosen in that picture a black painted armour, in the 16eme century style, which didn't reflected too much...it's always the same trade off with the render options of zbrush, which are the best on some "things" like mainly organic, and far less appropriate for metal, ar anything with reflection, transparence or refraction!...

Thread Closed share thread