Scary Weird Paintings

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2004   #1
Scary Weird Paintings

HI everyone ,
I am trying to search for artists works that potrays something really weird and horrific.
Thanks in advance for the links.

Old 07 July 2004   #2
The only obvious artist I can think of right now.
H.R Giger

Old 07 July 2004   #4

Old 07 July 2004   #5
Joel-Peter Witkin
This guys photography is bloody incredible.. Just click on the pictures to go forwards in the gallary

*edit* Just wanted to mention.. I would assume that most people looking at images in this topic are gonna be prepared for the worst.. but just incase, be warned that theres some pretty graphic stuff in the above link..
"Dreaming and evening, so are we twins! Listen, I whisper, your lips, how they twitch! The doorway is swarming with larva today, squirming and screaming as friendly men play! Thou art the empty, I am the thin! We are the bending blade stuck in your ribs! Thou art the tempest, I am the wind! We are the fallen man, tortured and skinned!" - Lindsay's Trachea by Cinema Strange

"He still used a scythe, he'd pointed out, while the Deaths of other worlds had long ago invested in combine harvesters." - The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Sciatica : 07 July 2004 at 12:50 AM.

Old 07 July 2004   #6
heres an artist thats amazes me with his artwork.
Beksinski

Old 07 July 2004   #7
I would definitely say Giger. Also look at the surrealist artists like Dali and Magritte. Also have a look at Hieronymous Bosch. Heres one of his works: Hell http://www.artchive.com/artchive/b/bosch/delightr.jpg

Old 07 July 2004   #8
Ivan Albright.

If you have a chance, go to the Art Institute of Chicago and see his work. He was a medical illustrator during the first World War and apparently saw some things he could not let go, which stuck with his work. He used combinations of very dark and very bright colors and when you see his paintings up close there is an almost psychotic attention to detail in them. You look at his paintings and get a feeling he was really disturbed by something and vented it with a paint brush. You can find pictures of his work online, but looking at even high res photos does them zero justice. The first time I saw his work was like 20 years ago and it made a huge impression on me. He clearly wasn't doing this work for anyone but himself, and you get the impression that he really needed to do it. His subject matter isn't gory, or shocking or full of meaningless symbolism, just disturbing when you try to envision the mindset of a person who paints the way he did.

Old 07 July 2004   #9
Mark Ryden

http://www.markryden.com/paintings/index.html

Brilliantly weird. Amazing art IMHO. Make sure to look at the meat show.

Last edited by Pin_pal : 07 July 2004 at 08:01 PM.

Old 07 July 2004   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin_pal
Make sure to look at the meat show.

Holy Lord that was awesome.

Old 07 July 2004   #11
this guy always gets me goin.. amazing painter.. still alive

if you've ever seen "The Cell".. alot of the dreamscapes are based on Odd

Odd Nerdrum
http://www.nerdrum.com/

edit: hah woah Ryden.. great stuff... ive had wallpapers of his stuff before but never new the artist name.. gotta mark that down

Last edited by mmkelly011881 : 07 July 2004 at 04:32 AM.

Old 07 July 2004   #12
I clicked on all links. Ok time to go now before i get depressed.

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

Old 07 July 2004   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciatica
Joel-Peter Witkin
This guys photography is bloody incredible.. Just click on the pictures to go forwards in the gallary

*edit* Just wanted to mention.. I would assume that most people looking at images in this topic are gonna be prepared for the worst.. but just incase, be warned that theres some pretty graphic stuff in the above link..

dont click that link... or at least dont go throught the whole gallery

Old 07 July 2004   #14

Old 07 July 2004   #15
WOW I love such work
I am actually inspired instread of depressed!
Keep em coming! this thread is surely in one of my favourite links!

Thread Closed share thread