CGTalk > Challenges > Past Mini Challenges (Archives) > Unofficial Game Art Challenge Archive
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-19-2004, 01:45 PM   #1
Isabelle
Frequenter

isabelle ohlsson
Sweden

Game Art Comp 9: Nightingale, CrimeanWar Nurse

I will create an english nurse from the Crimean War. This was the first war in wich the brittish army used female nurses. Those where led by Florence Nightingale. So I found it apropriate to do my nurse as a little nightingale.

(History lesson: Crimean war, 1854-1856. Russia on one side, England and France on the other)

Last edited by Isabelle : 07-19-2004 at 01:48 PM.

Old 07-19-2004, 03:17 PM   #2
Isabelle
Frequenter

isabelle ohlsson
Sweden

Nightingale references

Lets se..if this works, there should be a reference image showing below...

Old 07-19-2004, 03:25 PM   #3
Isabelle
Frequenter

isabelle ohlsson
Sweden

sketsh

Hmm.. hard to do a bird in a long dress and still keep it birdy! My sketsh looks like a duck, instead of a nightingale. Whith so little showing of the bird, I will have to do a much morr acurate modelling of the beak and the shape of the head..

Last edited by Isabelle : 07-19-2004 at 04:49 PM.

Old 07-19-2004, 03:32 PM   #4
kinkypuss
Frequenter
Roman T. Tassios
3D Artist
Greece

looking interesting Isabelle
nice idea

Old 07-20-2004, 01:32 AM   #5
Neil
Rollin in 5th gear

Neil Meskauskis
Interactive Designer
NYC, USA

you could make it looks more 'birdy' if she didn't have such distinct shoulders. opposite of a bird. i would make them more winged and less arms-like. and to incorporate the dress, just have holes in the fabric where the wings stick out?

Old 07-20-2004, 03:12 AM   #6
ElysiumGX
Swashbuckler
Will Cox
Cary, NC, USA

Send a message via AIM to ElysiumGX
Nice bit of history. Unique choice of character. I would make a decision with the concept. Looks odd for her to lean over like that. Very nice entry.

Old 07-20-2004, 07:41 AM   #7
Isabelle
Frequenter

isabelle ohlsson
Sweden

Thank you! I just hope I can make the best of my idea, and that the finished modell wont disapoint you.

Neil: Acctualy I went in the other direction and made the wings more armlike. I will post an image soone. And you are right about the shoulders.

Elysium: I have started to modell. One thing that instantly improved the charachter, in compare whith the concept was a straighter line from the neck down to the "waist" of the bird. In straight word, no breasts.. It seems more birdy that way, and more balanced.

Last edited by Isabelle : 07-20-2004 at 11:36 AM.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:00 AM   #8
Isabelle
Frequenter

isabelle ohlsson
Sweden

This is what Iv made so far. Its quite Beatrix Potteressq. More animal than human, that is. (http://wiredforbooks.org/kids.htm )

First I made a modell as close to a real Nightingale as possible. Then I tweaked the wings, to make them look more human, but most of all, to make them able to preform human motions. I alls straightened her back a little. And if someone peeks under the skirt they will only se lacy underpants!
All is quite lowpoly this far. I will work a little on the uv:s and the texture now. Which, with the low poly count will be nice and easy! Later on I might add some more polys. But not much. Shes only a small bird afterall.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:07 AM   #9
kinkypuss
Frequenter
Roman T. Tassios
3D Artist
Greece

I like what you've done so far Isabelle, nice work
can you post a close up on the hands..?

DWII entry

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Old 07-23-2004, 11:17 AM   #10
Isabelle
Frequenter

isabelle ohlsson
Sweden

hands!

A closup on her birdyhands! The "standard" is 3 fingers and a tumb. So Im thinking of adding a finger. What do you think?

Old 07-23-2004, 11:26 AM   #11
kinkypuss
Frequenter
Roman T. Tassios
3D Artist
Greece

if you're ok with the poly count, another finger would be more suitable i think.. go for it

DWII entry

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:07 PM   #12
AndyH
Polymonger

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Andrew Hickinbottom
Character Modeler
London, United Kingdom

Looking great so far - Nice costume, and the the posture and figure is still 'birdlike' rather than just a cheap cut and paste job with the head onto a human body. Nice head geometry.
The only thing i dont like too much is the arms / hands. They dont seem bird-like compared to the rest of it. Maybe make the hands bigger and get rid of the wrist.

Old 07-23-2004, 03:09 PM   #13
ThreedyModeler
Pixel Pusher

portfolio
Shane Taber
Creative Director
ECS, Inc.
Orlando, USA

Send a message via AIM to ThreedyModeler Send a message via Yahoo to ThreedyModeler
The model is looking great so far- as for the hands, instead of adding a third finger, perhaps you can extend the second finger wider and longer, to look more like a wingtip... so it will be like a thumb, index finger, and a "mitten" shape for the other fingers (that resembles a wingtip and feathers) Something like this:

Great work. Keep it up!

MadCat/Timberwolf Mech WIP

Old 07-23-2004, 04:54 PM   #14
dtrimble
Polygoofball

Customer support, Aspiring Artist, hire me!

Nice job so far on the modeling. I really like the proportions, she has a lot of appeal already.

Crit:I think she could have more defined eyelids, it looks like the geomitry is already there, just make them thicker, and think about how they are going to open and close. Try making the side of the face and/or eye so they are not so close to a 90 degree angle to the front of the face and see if this helps the front view. Also, again just my opinion here, but if she is going to administrate medicine hands may be a better choice than the half hand wing digitalskunkwurx suggested. Or you could make some cool tools for her to use with her beak to do the patchwork

Old 07-23-2004, 07:02 PM   #15
Isabelle
Frequenter

isabelle ohlsson
Sweden

Hurray! I got a lot of replays and advice. Thats nice!

I still dont know what to do with the hands.
I like DigitalSkunks suggestion. But then there is as Dtrimble said the question of use.
Initialy I was going to do wingpens (I think thats the world in english). But they should have been useless for carrying stuff so I added a tumb. Then it became more and more handlike.

Well, while Im thinking, I have started doing some work on the uv-mapping. Its coming along well. The only thing Im unsure of is what to do whith the skirt, how much uvspace to give it. At the moment it uses up a lot... I might fold it a second time. Im not sure.

Thread Closed share thread