Game Art Comp 9: Lion - Roman Empire

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2004
Game Art Comp 9: Lion - Roman Empire

The first thing that popped into my mind were gladiators, and the lions and... yeah.. I ended up with this idea. This'll be fun!

I'll get started on searching for references and getting concepts done right now!

Edit: This is a little harder than I expected, does anyone know any good animal reference sites?
If anyone has references for roman armor, that would be much appreciated.
'Nuff said.

Lion Gladiator Gameart Comp Entry

Last edited by DaemonMagus : 07 July 2004 at 01:44 AM.

07 July 2004
Furry animals are tougher to find good anatomy reference of, but usually you can find a grip of great images on Google's image search, especially now that you can limit searches to "large" images.

07 July 2004
awesome idea! soooo much potential, very excited to see this one develop....

07 July 2004
This is one of the ideas I hoped someone would try. A Lion as a Gladiator. Perfect. Good luck with this. Alpha channels would look great for the mane.

07 July 2004
Here's my WIP concept. I wanted you guys to know what I'm goin for before I start on my model.

Edit: Oh yeah, and he'll have a tail, I just haven't put it in the concept yet.
'Nuff said.

07 July 2004
i remember Hero's Quest III had a whole class of lion warriors. Try doing some searches for that if you need inspiration.

07 July 2004
Here's my progress on the model. I'm fairly new to modelling so I'm kinda slow and I don't really know how far I can go with the polycount. After I'm done modelling it I expect to do a lot of optimizing. I'm trying to do it for facial animation, but I've never modelled an animal head before. I still have a lot to go as you can see, and the arms require heavy tweaking.

'Nuff said.

07 July 2004
I did the legs, shoulder pad, eyes, tail and made the arms a little shorter. Still need to do the thumb, feet, more armor, sword n shield, mane and the end of the tail. The polycount is 1994. Please crit away!

Edit: Small update, critiques would be very much appreciated. If any anyone has advice on how to do the mane, that would really help.
'Nuff said.

Last edited by DaemonMagus : 07 July 2004 at 09:41 PM.

07 July 2004
use a series of planes and apply alphas to them.
did you want a more descriptive answer?

07 July 2004
I've done some stuff, all I really need to do is add detail and the mane. I haven't done the mane yet because that's the thing I have the least experience in doing and I didn't want to impair my progress on other areas. It's at 2518 tris. Unless this is the best model you've seen in your life, I'd like to know how I can make it better.

'Nuff said.

07 July 2004
i think his waist could be a smidge thicker and higher, and some more detail could be spent on the tip of his toes there (not much, just a bit). the head isn't especially convincing as a large cat - it might be easier to look at a picture of a cougar or mountain lion to see the skull structure a little easier (soemthing without a mane you know). His eyebrows, forehead and cheeks need the most attention i think. I'd like to see his wrists, hands and ankles be a tad bulkier as well...lions and tigers are kind of famous for having very large powerful paws, and this would be a cool thing to include i think. His neck could probably stand to be bulkier too, but that may be hidden by his mane? not sure.

very cool model! i only gave so many crits because you asked for them

07 July 2004
just 1 thing i notice that hasn't been mentioned- his thumb seems a bit short and thin, also are u gonna give him claws?

07 July 2004
I'm gonna bulk up the whole upper body, and I may reduce the number of fingers and make them more paw-like. I removed the strap on the sheath and just made it attach directly to the model so I can texture it on. I'm gonna do a little re-designing of the weapons and his general proportions to make em look more aggressive. Thanks for the crits guys, and about the thumb, I was kinda annoyed with it so I left it a little deformed. I'll get back to that once I get to the hands.
'Nuff said.

Last edited by DaemonMagus : 07 July 2004 at 08:38 PM.

08 August 2004
Very good mesh bro, r u gona put any more details or you are on the poly verge? How many poly is it again?

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread