lips are on the top of my "hate modeling" list, help!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2004   #1
lips are on the top of my "hate modeling" list, help!

I have been working on this model since February a few times each month, restarted it at least 3 or 4 times. The lips have always driven me nuts, and I can't seem to fix them. I detached the head and have been working on it lately. Sorry for the bad lighting. Please help, and of course any crits about the head itself too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (62.3 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (63.9 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (63.8 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by hpslashluvr : 07 July 2004 at 09:01 AM.

Old 07 July 2004   #2
Hi hpslashluvr, I think your work not bad, just relax, and what i think is you just need to sculpture her buttom lip more closer upper lip. good luck,
btw, you made it by NURBS, right?

R-

Old 07 July 2004   #3
hpslashluvr,
Lips suck a lot indeed (>_<) They're almost inposible. I'm working on a model myself and I've been tweaking the lips for like uhm ... i dunno... MANY HOURS! It ended in a result I was fairly happy with.
Anyhow, check out some wires! They're a big help. I did it the way of secondreality --> http://www.secondreality.ch/

good luck!

Old 07 July 2004   #4
If nurbs have anything to do with editable mesh and editable poly, sure...but otherwise I know nothing about them

i wanted to model her with her mouth opened, but i might just close it if it is easier

if anyone can draw over my picture to see what is wrong, that would be nice

Old 07 July 2004   #5
You should try to define the facial areas better in general, they look kind of undefined/blurry (don't mean the screenshots).

I modeled the lips closed as it's easier to see what looks natural, an open mouth and all the deformation it causes on the face brings in too many factors to keep in mind.
Also, defining them clearly with some edgeloop helps you see what's really wrong with them.

My topology isnt necessarily the best, didn't read up or follow any tuts on the topic which wasn't my smartest decision.

Old 07 July 2004   #6
There's another post on here with the same trouble with lips. Here's a tut that you may have seen before, but seems to deal with the lips and other body parts very well.

http://mr2k.3dvf.net/tutorials/max/tutorials_joan.htm

Marc

Old 07 July 2004   #7
Hey hpslashluvr!

I had a lot of trouble with lips as well till i saw Dave Black's timelapse vid
you can check it out here - http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=137804
Also look at a bunch of wire frames from other models and see how the lines flow in the lip area.

Now i'm know expert but heres a bit of advise don't define the the lip lines to much remember your trying to creat the illusion of mass / volume, look at your face and keep in mind the "fatty" areas.

Hope this helps!
-Mray-

P.s. nurbs have nothing to do with E-poly or E-mesh

Last edited by MRAY : 07 July 2004 at 05:22 AM.

Old 07 July 2004   #8
Lips aren't harder than other areas but I know where you're coming from,I've had my share of frustrations with human heads.

Define the 'hard-edged' contour and the interior segments first so you can have a good idea of their thickness(v.important)...

Then it's just a matter of beveling the in-between loops...Works good for me.

StrageFate:Awesome face m8,the ear's a bit unsmooth though but it's not the EOTW

Old 07 July 2004   #9
thanks guys, i haven't had time to redo the lips yet but i will

and i've never learned what nurbs were, so i couldn't tell you if i used them or not

Old 07 July 2004   #10
BTW: Dave's lips are good looking but the bottom contour is too shap and it's in a very weird opening position...I haven't been able to recreate it with my own real mouth.

Old 07 July 2004   #11
I checked out dave's video, and I'm slowing it down right now, I had the slower version, but to study it well, I need a slower version. I've watched it and it looks relly good! Will be a lot of help, thanx MRAY!!!

Old 07 July 2004   #12
Yeah Dave's lips are a little on the "stylized" (did i spell that right hehe ) side but
the concept and layout is pretty solid.

By the way don't thank me thank Dave Black for making the vid he's awsome and always helping people out.

-Mray-

Old 07 July 2004   #13
I thank you both, I had an issue with the lips too, after studying the video, it was fairly easy to make lips. The video shows it really well. So thank you for posting this great link and thank dave for making the video

Old 07 July 2004   #14
Awsome glad in helped!

-Mray-

Old 07 July 2004   #15
I think I'm having seizures from that timelapse...o.O

Even the slow version is wayyy too fast for my old head haha, I wish someone would make a very very very slow one with narration. But pausing it every once in a while works too

thanks for the help guys

but how to fix the problem of her looking like she is pulling her head in? (like double chin thing almost) I am sure it is a prob with the neck connecting with the head

Thread Closed share thread