Cinema 4D R20

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
Cinema 4D R20

https://www.maxon.net/en/products/n...e-feature-list/

Last edited by Bullit : 2 Weeks Ago at 04:22 PM.

1 Week Ago
That's a pretty big update. Most significant imho:

- Node based shading
- The powerful new CAD file importers
- Funky new volumetrics options
- New Mograph fields

Overall a pretty good update.

The only thing I am missing is built in fluids...

Last edited by skeebertus : 1 Week Ago at 12:36 PM.

3 Days Ago
I don't know. This is really a case of "too little, too late" imo.

For example, node-based shading is nice, but this is literally something that users have been begging MAXON to include for about 16 years now. They had the perfect opportunity to include this feature in 2002 with R8, which was a pretty radical update. At that time, they went for the modular approach. One of those modules was Advance Render. While it gave users stuff like GI, it mostly padded out the feature set by bundling in plugins such as Pyrocluster and Smells Like Almonds. It was a missed opportunity.

Ever since then, users have been going, "Okay. Maybe next version." Guess what? Most of those users who repeatedly defended MAXON and looked to the next release for relief have since moved on to other apps. It's a shame. I was one of those users from WAY back. MAXON stopped listening to its customer base. It stopped focusing what they wanted and needed. It instead focused on building Cinema4D into a MoGraph focused app, which really catered only to a small minority of the users. They carved out a niche for themselves, but at what price?

Nah. R20 isn't a big step. Not really. It's back pay. The few remaining loyal customers from way back when are still owed a lot more.

It's only when you look at what C4D does what it can do that you realize where it falls short. C4D has fallen far behind the competition in many key areas. Node-based materials is a step, but it's one of many - most of which have yet to be taken - to bring the app up to snuff. Far too many of C4D's features have either gone updated or allowed to rot. Off the top of my head, I would love to see MAXON work on the following:

- Upgraded UV system, which now feels super old and clunky
- Upgrade to BoydPaint, which looks like a toy in the age of Substance Painter
- Ditch and replace the current pyroclastics system, which is slow af.
- Project management. C4D is, right now, better suited for individuals than teams.
- Interoperability. Get C4D to play nice with other apps, which it doesn't always.
- Improve the character animation tools, which have fallen behind the competition
- Editor speed needs a boost. It's fine to a point, but then starts crawling even on high end machines
- Improved sculpting. Including the feature was a start. Now build on it.
- A few tweaks and updates to the GUI. It's still nice, but its age is showing now. It's a little too 2001 in some respects.
- Features like xrefs could still be greatly improved. Even with the last overhaul of that system, it's still a misfire. Clunky and behind the times.
- REAL parametric surfaces. It's nice that they have basic lofts and extrusions, but they've always relied on plugin developers to do spline patches and NURBS. By and large, C4D is still mostly a poly modeling tool. Give artists options. That stuff can speed up the process in many cases.
- Upgrade the darn cloth system already. When it debuted, it was nice and even close to cutting edge. Even under the current dynamics system, it's still old and inadequate.

I can keep going on,, but you get my point. There's a HUGE list of features that users have been clamoring for since R8. Cinema4D took a weird turn after R12 or R13, sharply ignoring the paying customers, and they've been playing catch up since. MAXON didn't have one single "LW CORE moment," but did have many small ones instead. I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but clearly something has moved C4D away from being a legit Maya killer to simply being a really good second fiddle alternative. It's sad.

I get that many people will disagree with me. I respect that. This is just my perspective as somebody who started using the app right around the turn of the millennium and stuck with it for a good decade plus. I held on for as long as I could... until I couldn't.

Too little, too late.

reply share thread