RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
MSNBC: Recruit More Women Developers, Attract Women Gamers?

Quote:
"Last month's E3 did little to dissuade the stereotype that the only women working in video gaming do so in camouflage bikinis.

Touring the show floor with several female students, Jason Chu, chief operating officer with the DigiPen Institute of Technology, got a taste of the backlash to the industry's testosterone-laden sensibilities.
"We were looking at these posters of women in outfits," Chu recalled. "And one turned to me and said, 'This is why women aren’t in games.'"

Blame gaming's nerdy male history or even society's expectations on what men and women can do for a living, but there's no denying that the people who create games are overwhelmingly male.

The times, they are (finally) a changing, however. Already well-represented in marketing and public relations, women are now moving into the creative areas of coding, design, art and production.

Advocates say it's about time. The industry needs not just gender diversity, but a diversity of ideas they hope will lead to new types of games and, ultimately, new players. The challenge is finding the talent.

"
>>Link<<

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
PhilWesson
PSNID: Dynamodave

portfolio
Philip Wesson
Marketing
Stamford, USA

Check out http://www.womengamers.com. It's a really informative site with most of the articles written by women and taking a woman's perspective on many popular games out there.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:35 PM   #3
Synkronizer
Veteran

Doesn't this apply to every type of game?

The whole concept of women playing any game seems weird to me.....correct me if I'm wrong.
Games seems in nature to be a man's thing.
Women play games too, but other ones. Psychological games. With real people!

But that's just my opinion

Old 06-22-2004, 02:34 PM   #4
PhilWesson

portfolio
Philip Wesson
Marketing
Stamford, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synkronizer
Doesn't this apply to every type of game?

The whole concept of women playing any game seems weird to me.....correct me if I'm wrong.
Games seems in nature to be a man's thing.
Women play games too, but other ones. Psychological games. With real people!

But that's just my opinion

jumpin' jesus on a hot-plate, tell me you're joking.
I know women that game more than men, and not just psychologically.
Most of the girls i know play a good deal of games like starcraft, splinter cell, lotsa FF and others.
Wouldn't be fair to say that gaming is just a boy's club.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:55 PM   #5
ThePrintMaster
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by david225
jumpin' jesus on a hot-plate, tell me you're joking.
I know women that game more than men, and not just psychologically.
Most of the girls i know play a good deal of games like starcraft, splinter cell, lotsa FF and others.
Wouldn't be fair to say that gaming is just a boy's club.

My experience in the world of women and gaming says this.

(this may come off as a flame but i assure you...it isnt)

Games of that caliber that are played by girls are played by dork girls.

Believe it or not, but i know a ton of girls who are what most people perceive to be as hot. None of them play video games nor would be caught dead playing them outside of the occasional mario on SNES.

You are forgetting that in order for a girl to do the same things on a technological basis as a guy, her geek factor has to be sky high. And it seems the dual X chromosomes have a resistence to geek factor. Even in the hoggish and dorkish chicks i know, the extent of their games are online games on aol.

But thast just my experience.

Oh! I know one girl who plays her brothers copy of kingdom hearts but shes a very overwieight lesbian girl with a gimped arm. What do the girls that you know play those games look like? Do you have pictures?

Old 06-22-2004, 09:39 PM   #6
PhilWesson

portfolio
Philip Wesson
Marketing
Stamford, USA

yeah, i do as a matter of fact, PM me and i'll show ya

Old 06-22-2004, 10:15 PM   #7
Synkronizer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrintMaster

Oh! I know one girl who plays her brothers copy of kingdom hearts but shes a very overwieight lesbian girl with a gimped arm. What do the girls that you know play those games look like? Do you have pictures?

OK, this isn't quite what I meant, but I stay by my opinion.

David225: I don't say gaming is a boys club because we want it to be. It just seems to turn out that way....

I know a girl that plays alot of games too. She isn't a big fat ugly lesbian with a disability, in fact she's quite pretty! But then again, she also rides a motorcycle.

Old 06-23-2004, 07:41 AM   #8
PhantomDesign
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jonathan Griffin
3D Production Artist / Automotive Designer
Detroit, USA

Send a message via AIM to PhantomDesign
Consumers don't know who makes the games, so adding unskilled workers to the already overcrowded market won't help. The stereotype that needs to be changed is that gaming is a geeky thing.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:09 AM   #9
gnarlycranium
Big Giant Heed

portfolio
Leah Cooper
Student
Academy of Art University
San Francisco, USA

Quote:

If you're going to start up about 'geek factor'... do recall that the guys who play games a lot have plenty of their own dork genes. And since you're here... you obviously must be one of them. Therefore your 'experience' is seriously suspect-- a theory further supported by all this chauvanistic BS you're spouting. 'Hotness' and geek factor are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Hell, according to most folks around here, geekness seems to actually contribute to a woman's appeal.

Me, I've been gaming as long as I can remember, and I'm definitely not a gimpy lesbian-- but no, I'm not sending you my picture. And I hope one day a gimpy lesbian frags you mercilessly.

As for why, in general, girls don't tend to like games much-- I tend to agree with the ones quoted from that article. The big boob big gun chicks get old fast. Very, very old. And that probably has much more to do with it than any 'geek factor'.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:02 PM   #10
ThePrintMaster
Frequenter

were all geeks. I have no problem admitting it. If you do, you're in denial.
There are stereotypes for a reason. The reason is, theyre mostly true. Sure we will come along and find a non dork occasionally but for the most part, were all dorks, geeks, and nerds. Most stereotypes follow this trend.

There is no sense in denying that. If you are on CGTalk, and playing games......the odds are extremely high that you are a dork. The question is, how much of that is conveyed to society? and to chicks that matter?

But I guess to prove that theory you should just run out to your local bar and find the first attractive girl you can find, buy her a drink, then ask her to come back to your place to play halo. Try that, then come back and tell me how it goes.

Old 06-23-2004, 03:39 PM   #11
baoling
Frequenter
Singapore

I'm 22 yrs old married female from Singapore. I Want to be a work at home mummy. Does anyone has the stories about successful work at home woman in 3d area? Or it doesn't matter female or male, just any stories that work at home in 3d industry.

Old 06-23-2004, 03:50 PM   #12
baaah888
It's a me...

Tom Pickard
3d Artist
Sega - The Creative Assembly
Horsham, United Kingdom

Quote:
were all geeks. I have no problem admitting it. If you do, you're in denial.
There are stereotypes for a reason. The reason is, theyre mostly true. Sure we will come along and find a non dork occasionally but for the most part, were all dorks, geeks, and nerds. Most stereotypes follow this trend.

There is no sense in denying that. If you are on CGTalk, and playing games......the odds are extremely high that you are a dork. The question is, how much of that is conveyed to society? and to chicks that matter?

But I guess to prove that theory you should just run out to your local bar and find the first attractive girl you can find, buy her a drink, then ask her to come back to your place to play halo. Try that, then come back and tell me how it goes.

LOL, Well i wouldnt call myself a dork, but i do have the inherent history of thinking wargames were cool and loving computergames whilst others were into playing tag.

I may just try that last paragraph although, the way i'd say halo might sound a bit perverted, "so baby you wanna come back to to mine and play some halo" "It's all played inside a giant ring" .....I'll stop now, and get my coat before im slapped.

Old 06-23-2004, 03:55 PM   #13
baaah888
It's a me...

Tom Pickard
3d Artist
Sega - The Creative Assembly
Horsham, United Kingdom

I was going to tag this on the end of the last post, but that was comedy this is more serious,

I think more woen in the industry will be a great thing long term, But I can't see it changing quickly, and i still think booth babes are going to be the way to advertise at the next 10 E3's since it sex sells and too a mainly male demograph of consumers it'll take a big movemennt inside and out of the industry to make it less chauvernistic and male orientated.

I think theres absolutly no reason women can't do just as well in the industry, but i think the main market will always be male, so the type of games and stuff will only shift a tiny bit towards female orientated games.

But that may all change in the future, you never know. Its going to be an interesting ride. (metaphorically that is)

Old 06-23-2004, 04:13 PM   #14
Spankspeople
*blink*
Tom B.
Freelance Nuisance
Ottawa, Canada

Send a message via ICQ to Spankspeople Send a message via MSN to Spankspeople
Quote:

Believe it or not, but i know a ton of girls who are what most people perceive to be as hot. None of them play video games nor would be caught dead playing them outside of the occasional mario on SNES.

You are forgetting that in order for a girl to do the same things on a technological basis as a guy, her geek factor has to be sky high. And it seems the dual X chromosomes have a resistence to geek factor. Even in the hoggish and dorkish chicks i know, the extent of their games are online games on aol.

Hmm... I have a friend who I would probably label as incredibly attractive who's probably clocked more hours in Diablo 2 than everyone else I know combined. I know another who is a Morrowind addict.

One of my friends met his wife through a MUD...

And the only person who will actually sit down with my Gameboy and play as Tingle in Wind Waker(okay, maybe that's not saying much) is far cuter than any of my male friends... =P

Granted, those are the only ones that I personally know, but that's mainly because I know maybe a dozen people...

*shrug*

No pictures, though. Dun' like posting pictures of people without their permission. MAYBE if this thread is still, for some reason, around come Canadia day I'll get a group shot at the BBQ. =P

Last edited by Spankspeople : 06-23-2004 at 04:16 PM.

Old 06-23-2004, 06:23 PM   #15
cool breeze
holding the world in hand

Full time student

Quote:

WOW! I do find that a little funny never the less. It's nice to know how some men see us. i will amit i am not the a pencil thin bueaty
queen ( i what they classify as cute )but iím not a Amazon looking lesbian either. This is why most women donít play game. My cousin love games and she is what you call girly girl (hair makeup a diffrent outfit for every day in the month) but she will not play games around guys because of this same reason. But I also have to remember that this is also an American man point of view.

Thread Closed share thread