Game Art Comp 8: Shredder - TMNT

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2004   #1
Game Art Comp 8: Shredder - TMNT

Man I haven't been around in a while, but I really want to be an active part of the community again. I'm gunnah give this challenge a try with Shredder from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Ill be back with updates later.

Here's some reference

Old 06 June 2004   #2
Nice choice! Very clean referece for doing the major armor outlines and such. Lookin forward to this one!

Bartek

Old 06 June 2004   #3
Thanks!

I started modeling the head tonight, I tried to keep it under 450 polys.

This is what I have so far

Old 06 June 2004   #4
Looking good. The Shredder was the first character I ever tried to model. I hope yours turns out better than mine did.

Old 06 June 2004   #5
Just a thought - you might want to angle the helmet out, a bit. It's looking a bit scrawny, right now.

Old 06 June 2004   #6
yea I ended up beafing it up after looking at it. I was concentrating on the geometry and forgot about the proportion

thanks!

ill some new updates soon

Old 06 June 2004   #7
looking good, keep it up

Old 06 June 2004   #8
thanks!

I got a little further in the model

Old 06 June 2004   #9
hehe I know Shredder isn't the most original/ coolest baddies around, but I thought it would be fun. Definetly for next competition I will do something more original. I'm just glad to be a part of this community finally. Anyways I was really motivated to keep going with the model when I woke up. Most of my time is with making sure I'm using every triangle to its potential (which I'm not by a longshot, but its getting there) Crits are much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by DougG : 06 June 2004 at 11:45 PM.

Old 06 June 2004   #10
Judging by the ref pics I'd say you need to increase the size of his helmet and pull verts on it further away from the head. I think you could cut back on some areas to add on those pieces of armor you still need to throw on. Parts of the body that are very smooth at the moment may not even be seen once those are on.

Nice work so far.

Old 06 June 2004   #11
Originally Posted by Gamoron: Judging by the ref pics I'd say you need to increase the size of his helmet and pull verts on it further away from the head. I think you could cut back on some areas to add on those pieces of armor you still need to throw on. Parts of the body that are very smooth at the moment may not even be seen once those are on.

Nice work so far.

Thanks! I definetly need to make the helmet bigger, that was one of the things on my to do list. As for lightening up the poly count in some areas I def agree. Thanks again... I'll be back with an update later

Old 06 June 2004   #12
quick update :

Old 06 June 2004   #13
ahh man making this model is harder than I thought. This is the first time I took on creating a game model (which is pretty stupid seein as how I want to end up in the business, anyways thats a whole nother story lol) Anyways I'm glad I'm finally back on track. Right now I'm running out of room and I still need to add a few things. I only have 12 triangles left to work with! AHHHH! Man this is fun though.

Any idea's on how to drop some triangles?

I gunnah take a break and watch Learning Character Animation with Jeff Lew. It just came in I can't wait to sink my teeth into it.

Thanks again for everyone's interest. With so many other great entries this competition is alot of fun!

Old 06 June 2004   #14
I need to put all of the spikes on his armor, but I'm not quite sure on how to do it. If I model each spike with the lowest amount of triangles possible (12) they add up to 216 triangles. Is there an easier way to do it such as opacity maps and if so would you be able to see the spikes from both sides?

edit : I actually solved the problem with help from Anurizm, thanks!

Last edited by DougG : 06 June 2004 at 06:00 AM.

Old 06 June 2004   #15
this is pretty much the first time I'm unwrapping the textures and everything, so its a learning process for me. I only did the bottom half so far.

little update :

Thread Closed share thread