Challenge Announcement

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
Challenge Announcement

AMD Radeon Pro, CGSociety and Kitbash 3D are giving away 3 AMD cards, challenge assets and packaged kits from Kitbash3d starting this Wednesday. The challenge will end December 15, giving you just enough time to win a holiday treat!

Radeon™ ProRender is AMD’s powerful physically-based rendering engine that enables creative professionals to produce stunningly photorealistic images.  You can download AMD’s free Radeon™ ProRender plug-ins for 3ds Max, Maya, and Blender here. Radeon ProRender is also integrated into Cinema 4D R19.

As a Special Gift out Kitbash 3D will be providing some amazing demo kits for the categories of Matte Painting and Rendering, and will be providing second place prizes for all categories.  

The categories are:

Character Art 
Show off your sculpting and Texturing Skills with 3 WIP images along the way before posting your final image. Character or Creature modelling with the best reward going to the best looking model and theme around it. (A completed model with texture and lighting).1st Place wins a Radeon Pro WX 7100. 2nd Place Wins a Full Kit
From Kitbash 3D

Matte Painting 
 Alien Civilization, Destroyed City or Default Castle on a Hillside. Get creative and choose a topic. Include a few 3d elements and a Camera Move.1st Place Wins the latest Radeon Pro WX 91002nd Place Wins a Full Kit from Kitbash 3D.

Render and Lighting
Too often the technical gets left out but not this time! Show us your lighting and rendering skills with a finished render and 2 variations to Win a Radeon Pro WX 7100, Second Place wins a Full Kit from Kitbash 3D.  

A CGSociety Exclusive sample kit will be provided to all registered users of CGS and Kitbash 3D. Make sure to swing by and say thanks and check out their amazing selection.  Judges from AMD, CGSociety, Epic Games, Blizzard, Id, Bioware and Legacy FX will be announced this week.Jump in and check on your work and drop some feedback for those looking for help along the way.

All entries must contain 3 WIP images prior to finish. Create a thread in the and pro challenge forum with a thumbnail and full name for entry. 
 Please let us know what render hardware and software you are using. A release form will be provided to artist for the entries that AMD chooses to use for promotional purposes

3 WIP Images, with 3000 Pixel Final Image Minimum, Variations, Iterations, and comparison renders between software renders are a + 

Last edited by Travis : 6 Days Ago at 07:05 PM.

1 Week Ago
I don't see any rules and regulations other than sharing WIP images before sharing final one.
Can we participate in 2 categories? like character/creature and matte painting where the character is placed in the environment created with matte painting?

1 Week Ago
Yes cross competitive post and multiple entries are valid and welcome.  Note that a character in an environment will still be judged on the completed character. Entries must be origional to this challenge.  

1 Week Ago
When can I start sharing WIP´s and where? 

1 Week Ago
Hi Isai,

Here is an example thread.

First and Last name_ Category_ Project title

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...235#post8352235

1 Week Ago
So there's no theme or art direction involved for the character art competition?
You can use any renderer, or make it a realtime game art or high end rendered piece?
Is fan art allowed?

1 Week Ago
Can i use a model i finished a couple of years ago or does it have to be something i'm working on now?

1 Week Ago
Excited to participate in the Lighting and Rendering challenge. Do we need to use the AMD Radeon ProRender for rendering, or can we use anything we would like?  

Thanks!

1 Week Ago
 How much does composition matter when setting up a character render and does the presence of a background influence the final score?

1 Week Ago
Hey, I am exited with this challenge and also grateful for the opportunity so count me in. I already have an idea for a character but I also want to know if I can use any raytracing software for the model category and the minimum and/or maximum resolution for the final  image. To be more specific with the rendering I want to try Octane, and my alternative is Mental Ray on Maya.

1 Week Ago
"So there's no theme or art direction involved for the character art competition?
You can use any renderer, or make it a realtime game art or high end rendered piece? 
Is fan art allowed?"

"Excited to participate in the Lighting and Rendering challenge. Do we need to use the AMD Radeon ProRender for rendering, or can we use anything we would like?"  

It's a render challenge so the theme is open.  The Character Challenge will take a look at your materials and the complexity of rendering and lighting your character. We recommend using the AMD rendered but you are free to use any other. Let us know what hardware and software you use in your WIP thread in the challenge forum here.  This is a skill challenge so Original concept or Fan Art take second place to thinking about the render and light set up.

"Can i use a model i finished a couple of years ago or does it have to be something i'm working on now?"

Kitbash 3D will be providing a kit for challengers and you may use existing models,  however showing wip and creating an origional piece for this challenge are required.

How much does composition matter when setting up a character render and does the presence of a background influence the final score?

The Character Category will focus on materials and difficulties facing an artist in production when it comes to character renders, Realistic Skin or materials complexity. Background Composition is not required. Each Category presents it's own set of hardships in production. In choosing your category worry less about cool and think about what works best to impress or complete a scene for a studio.

We will bring in some of the judges in the next few days to give some tips and hints  

Thanks for the Questions and feel free to set up a WIP Post to get started. In your WIP you can talk about your approach or why you are choosing a specific category and what challenges you plan on facing. 

Octane or Mental Ray are Fine just let us know which you make your final render with. It would be a good idea to set up the same render in AMD's software as well for a side by side. Variations might give you an advantage 

3k image Minimum 

Last edited by Travis : 1 Week Ago at 01:35 AM.

1 Week Ago
I am eagerly waiting for the Kitbash 3D demo kits for the categories of Matte Painting and Rendering...
...sorry, very impatient
When can we expect to get them? and where will we find the link?

1 Week Ago
¨Kitbash 3D will be providing a kit for challengers and you may use existing models,  however showing wip and creating an origional piece for this challenge are required"

where or when can i download the kit from kitbash 3D? 

1 Week Ago
Once you create your entry thread you will receive a link to the download kit for kit bash 3d. Looking forward to your entry 

4 Days Ago
1.Can i use characters from character generator softwares for the Character Challenge?
2.Is this a disavantage to use NVDIA hardwares?

reply share thread