Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Nathaniel West

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2004   #1
Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Nathaniel West

Nathaniel West has entered the Machineflesh 2D Challenge.

Old 05 May 2004   #2
Concept Sketch: Pirate

Hello everyone! I've joined a little late, because I just stumbled upon the contest a few days ago. Looks like alot of fun, which is the most important thing.

So I've decided to depict the coolest organism of all time--a pirate!!!!

I'm not sure yet if he's going to be a typical pirate, or more of a captain, but I know that his arm was blown off by a cannonball, which was one of the more common hazards of the job. And because his arm is gone, he had to replace it with a mechanical one. This was also a common practice. It is little known, but pirates invented lots of cool stuff besides the mechanical limb....such as chopsticks, the telephone and velcro. Most people just don't know this though. It's also rumored that pirates were the first to utilize democracy. Pretty cool huh? So enough with historical accounts, here's the first image. Keep up all of the good work everyone!!!!

Nathaniel

Old 05 May 2004   #3
Concept Sketch: Mechanical Arm Sketch

This is the arm at the moment. I've roughly sketched in what I'm thinking about here. I don't want it to be too flashy, but more hand beaten metal and gears. Basically, this isn't a totally futuristic arm, but uses pumps and pushrods and such. The pirate's hand is connected to the mechanism, as it was salvaged during the cannonball incident. Let me know what you think and what else you think would be fun to do. I would really appreciate any feedback.

Old 05 May 2004   #4
Concept Sketch: Pirate Arm Sketch

Here's another version of the arm. I apologize for those first images being so big. I will post a little smaller from know on.

The elbow has a ball joint instead of gears, and they would mimic the motion of actual forearm bones. The rods would also connect to the pirates' bones. Up top the shoulder is comprised of little pistons things that mimic the muscles of the deltoid. They would connect to the strands of the pectoral muscle, and the whole armature would be bolted to the clavicle. Let me know what you think.

Old 06 June 2004   #5
Concept Sketch: arm

Here's some value on this one. I'd love some input on this please.

Old 06 June 2004   #6

Last edited by NathanielWest : 06 June 2004 at 05:11 AM.

Old 06 June 2004   #7
Concept Sketch: arm update

Here's somemore value.

Old 06 June 2004   #8
The mechanical arm is always a fun thing to base an idea on. I like where you are taking it. Don't get much beter than machines and pirates, unless you threw in some ninjas too. But, anyway...looks good. I like how you are working out all the mechanics to be based on actual anatomy. I'd like to see some sort of part that represents the brachio-radialis also. It makes the forearm look a little too flat.
I think that in the final design it would be cool to make the arm either brass and gold like pirate telescopes and maybe some jewels to show off how much booty he has....or, maybe go the other way and make it really dingy and iron like a cannon.
I don't think this is a big issue, but you have seen treasure planet, right...and realize that they have a concept very similar to this. There is a good "art of" book for that. I actually like the book better than the movie.

Old 06 June 2004   #9
I like the idea, exspecially I'm working on a 3D version in the other side of this contest! Keep up!

Old 06 June 2004   #10
Illustr8r--thanks for your thoughts on this one. I appreciate it, and I agree with you about the choice of style. I hesistated to do the pirate arm because of Treasure Planet, but it's all about the fun, and pirates are exactly that. I definitely don't want to do a high tech arm though, and would like it to have a Jules Verne feel to it--kind of worn and handmade technology. But maybe this won't work, and it's just too much like Treasure Planet.

I also had an idea of adding a robotic parrot attached to his shoulder which acts as a replacement voice box for a damaged neck. I think it would be different and fun, but might look a little clumsy in the end. Plus, he wouldn't sound very menacing if he sounded like a parrot.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'll proceed with those excellent points in mind. Take care!!

Old 06 June 2004   #11
Really interesting!More technical.

I'm waiting for next step .

Old 06 June 2004   #12
Good for you, this is going to be quite interesting. Personally I would love to see the mechanical parrot, I'm qurious to see how you would draw it, good stuff

Old 06 June 2004   #13
Concept Sketch: The Parrot

Okay, here's some ideas for the parrot, which I've decided to include. Basically, it would rest on the pirate's shoulder, and it would be hooked up to his voicebox to emit sound when he speaks. And of course the mouth could move and all that, and he'd sound like one of those people that has smoked way too much and has to hold that thing up to there necks to talk...you know what I mean? Very menacing and kind of disturbing whenever I see that.

Anyways, the parrot would be made out of carved wood with brass ornamentation...nothing too sci-fi, but more fitting to the period. I like the idea that the head has the feel of a skull with deep eye sockets and all. The mechanism that connects to the pirate wouldn't be anything fancy, just some sort of tubing. I'll get into the pirate's design in the next day or so, and I'll figure out what his neck will look like.

Notice the old paper? I'll keep the rest of the drawings on this, because it gives it that old pirate feel which I think is cool. Also, because I'm so dedicated to getting into the character of the project, I will be drinking only quality rum while I work on this project. That's love right there, no?

Let me know what you think please!

Last edited by NathanielWest : 06 June 2004 at 04:38 PM.

Old 06 June 2004   #14
Very interesting idea. And i love the technical explanation.
I'm curious to see your final image.

Old 06 June 2004   #15
This is a great idea! I can't wait to see it.

share thread