Foundry Announced Modo 11

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2017   #1
Foundry Announced Modo 11

Modo 11:
Performance and efficiency improvements
Modeling workflow enhancements
Better out of-the-box experience

more info

Old 04 April 2017   #2
and subscriptions.

Old 04 April 2017   #3
and not offering upgrades to those who bought the $1000 full version of modo back in October when it was on sale so now we are forced to spend $600 only 6 months later. So we essentially paid $1000 for 6 months of Modo use.

Come on Foundry, when you offering something for sale it is supposed to be a way to entice people to join, not a backhanded attempt to extract more money from them than what they will ultimately end up paying.

Old 04 April 2017   #4
Techmage, $599 is the sub price. If you own 10 (or any prior version) you can purchase maintenance for $399.

I wouldn't expect a free upgrade after six months. 30 days, sure......but half a year?

Last edited by Roger Eberhart : 04 April 2017 at 12:27 AM.

Old 04 April 2017   #5
Damn, are they taking modo subscription ONLY? That would be a disappointment and it's unclear from the promotional material on the splash page whether modo 11 can be outright purchased.

Old 04 April 2017   #6
Originally Posted by Imhotep397: Damn, are they taking modo subscription ONLY? That would be a disappointment and it's unclear from the promotional material on the splash page whether modo 11 can be outright purchased.

No, it's not sub only. You have a choice between perpetual + maintenance or subs.

Interview with Foundry peeps describing the licensing options here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEjGk5CZiWA

Old 04 April 2017   #7
I kind of feel bad for Modo Indie users.

First their biggest advocate on the inside, Brandon R. Reddick (BladeEvolence), leaves the company. Then the Foundry itself posts a comment suggesting that they're reevaluating their relationship with Steam and how, in light of subscription-based licensing, they might move forward with the Indie version.

I can't imagine that they'd get many takers for a Modo Indiie subscription. They've tried that tactic on Steam for the past 2 versions, offering Modo Indie for $15/month, and it hasn't gone over too well.

Modo Indie v9 garnered less than 3k owners while the v10 Indie barely scrapes above the 2k mark. When you consider that Blender has 960k owners on Steam alone and 32k of them are active users, that looks terrible for Modo Indie. Hobbyists and low volume pros apparently don't even want a $15/month subscription.

Those low numbers might also say a little something about popular opinion too since the Foundry has consistently offered an inexpensive, non-subscription Indie license. Not a whole lot of takers for Modo Indie even when a permanent license is on the table.That speaks volumes.

The Foundry claims that they're committed to "a" Modo Indie, but I don't feel too inspired by that particular phrasing. Personally, I don't think that the Modo Indie version is long for this world. I can't see how they can make it work. The Steam numbers are terrible regardless of license type or price point.

Old 04 April 2017   #8
In the beginning their releases were really great, Modo looked like something might be a good replacement for Autodesk products, but these two releases showed Modo became mature way too early.

Old 04 April 2017   #9
Nice features, but far too expensive for what it does.

Old 04 April 2017   #10
Originally Posted by Roger Eberhart: Techmage, $599 is the sub price. If you own 10 (or any prior version) you can purchase maintenance for $399.

I wouldn't expect a free upgrade after six months. 30 days, sure......but half a year?

Oh I see now...

the system was broken yesterday and was saying my perpetual license couldn't have maintenance attached to it

Old 04 April 2017   #11
This release seems to be a joke. When The Luxology joins to The Foundry, I thought that MODO will have a boost in a development. And 10's release was solid enough and give us a hope.

Performance improvments are nice. But there is no features most people want at all. This release should be just a service pack. And that subscription options.. They want to add less and less features and want more and more money like AD? Sorry, that was a bad choice for all of us.

I was additced to MODO in my workflow, but now is seems like it bought by AD ))) Blender seems to be evolved much faster.

Old 04 April 2017   #12
i would say thats a normal behavior... if you have to deal with complex code development does get slower... and a commercial tool does not have the freedom to do what ever they want like the blender devs... and some features take much longer to develop than one year...

Old 04 April 2017   #13
Originally Posted by MagmaTheJudge: This release seems to be a joke. When The Luxology joins to The Foundry, I thought that MODO will have a boost in a development. And 10's release was solid enough and give us a hope.

Performance improvments are nice. But there is no features most people want at all. This release should be just a service pack. And that subscription options.. They want to add less and less features and want more and more money like AD? Sorry, that was a bad choice for all of us.

I was additced to MODO in my workflow, but now is seems like it bought by AD ))) Blender seems to be evolved much faster.

11.0's focus was bug squashing and performance. Not sexy, but long overdue. More exciting features will crop up in 11.1 and 11.2. If you don't like what is being offered in 11.0, just wait for now and re-evaluate when 11.1 comes out. They're currently on a cadence to release updates every 3 to 4 months.

Old 04 April 2017   #14
Originally Posted by Roger Eberhart: 11.0's focus was bug squashing and performance. Not sexy, but long overdue. More exciting features will crop up in 11.1 and 11.2. If you don't like what is being offered in 11.0, just wait for now and re-evaluate when 11.1 comes out. They're currently on a cadence to release updates every 3 to 4 months.

That's a bit strange way to sale new version of product. Usually new features are included to major release then it's just polished by minor releases. Should I wait for improved rigging and animation tools in 11.1 relese if it's has not been annouced with 11?

How many people do use Mesh Fusion as primary tool and how many people want to rig and animate their charactres without a pain? I think Mesh Fusion fixes could be included to 11.1 or 11.2, but not to 11 as one two of primary features (the preformance 'boost' is the other one).

Old 04 April 2017   #15
Originally Posted by MagmaTheJudge: That's a bit strange way to sale new version of product. Usually new features are included to major release then it's just polished by minor releases. Should I wait for improved rigging and animation tools in 11.1 relese if it's has not been annouced with 11?

How many people do use Mesh Fusion as primary tool and how many people want to rig and animate their charactres without a pain? I think Mesh Fusion fixes could be included to 11.1 or 11.2, but not to 11 as one two of primary features (the preformance 'boost' is the other one).

What you're describing is how Foundry (and Luxology) used to operate, prior to version 10. The problem with cramming all the new features into one release was a buggy product that wouldn't get stable until a couple of service packs were released. Starting with 10, they split up the new features and it has been much smoother sailing in terms of bugs since then. It seems like Autodesk is doing a similar thing with Maya (although with less success in making the product stable from what I've heard). By switching from an upgrade license model to maintenance/subs, I expect this trend to continue.

I wouldn't expect to see Modo devs spending too much time on rigging/animation tools until they further improve deformer performance. It's a bit of a bottleneck at the moment (which they're aware of and working to resolve).

Sorry, I'm not super familiar with Mesh Fusion or it's outstanding issues. As a game artist, I never use it. I get much faster and easier results using Tor Frick's rounded edge shader workflow.

reply share thread