Whats up with the lack of XSI books?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2004   #1
Whats up with the lack of XSI books?

Hi, I'm transitioning out of LW into XSI. Why on earth can I not find any good XSI books? The few books I've seen are for XSI 1 or 2. I've gone to 4 different bookstores and I'm never at a loss for Max, Maya or Lightwave books, but I'll be damned if I can find an XSI book

Are there any worth recommending (that can be found)?

Old 05 May 2004   #2
yah xsi's user base is alot smaller then the other apps, its gaining though

Ive never read any xsi books, but i would recommened the video tutorials from 3dtutorial.com, as cheap as books, and very good training

Old 05 May 2004   #3
What about the video tuts at http://www.3dtutorial.com!
They are very good end good priced too.
I come from a Max/Maya and learned alot from those and ofcourse on www.xsibase.com the forum is much more active

Aydin

Old 05 May 2004   #4
hell... what have you done to you avatar

ya. the user count is the smallest of the biggest id say.

/fox

Old 05 May 2004   #5
Coming June 9th, not too long to wait I hope?

http://www.course.com/catalog/produ...n=1-59200-210-2

This book should rock.

Old 05 May 2004   #6
XSI hasn't been around that long. It takes a long time to write a book. (Believe me, I know.) However, I have an XSI book that I've been working on. No idea when it will come out though. (I need some spare time to put it together.)
- www.EdHarriss.com

Old 05 May 2004   #7
Quote: Originally posted by EdHarriss
XSI hasn't been around that long. It takes a long time to write a book. (Believe me, I know.) However, I have an XSI book that I've been working on. No idea when it will come out though. (I need some spare time to put it together.)

Thanks for teasing me

Old 05 May 2004   #8
Yeah the lack of books is something that struck me when I started using XSI last year. But I found that I didn't need books in the end - there is plenty of good stuff available online and since I'm so used to working in 3D already I found the program easy to learn

Shade01, since you are also coming from LightWave, you should find the program intuitive already...

At any rate though, I am using XSI for my next book

So that makes two of us, Ed

Old 05 May 2004   #9
Why must you torture us so! Great news about your upcoming books. Any teasers as to what topics will be covered? Ed? Leigh?

At any rate, can't wait for these books to come out. I've already pre-ordered the Experience XSI 4.0 book, which i think will be super sweet.

God Bless,
George

Old 05 May 2004   #10
Quote: Originally posted by XsifoX
hell... what have you done to you avatar

/fox

lol,

now if i can acualy manage to ever finish somehting ive made ill use that but until then your stuck with the bird or wahtever else i might see

and thats great news Ed and Leigh about the books

Old 05 May 2004   #11
Quote: Originally posted by Grgeon
Why must you torture us so! Great news about your upcoming books. Any teasers as to what topics will be covered? Ed? Leigh?

Of course, it will be on texture mapping with XSI's awesome UV editing tools.

Old 05 May 2004   #12
I am always looking for XSI books at book stores(there are a few) but I can never find any and end up reading something about lightwave of photoshop....

what a sad and deprived life we XSI users live. O well, at least we have Ed to right books....

Come on man, stop posting here....get to work ;-)

Old 05 May 2004   #13
Quote: Originally posted by EdHarriss

I actually started my 3d career with Softimage 3d back in '94/95. Talk about a lack of learning resources for it back then. It was just little ole' me and three huge volumes that read like a phone book. I managed somehow. Too bad I couldn't afford it back then when I left that job. Things are looking more reasonable now ... and XSI is calling me back to my roots.

Old 05 May 2004   #14
Gary,

Roots are a good thing...don't resist it!

Anyway, I actually prefer videos to books. I find watching a person acomplish something so much easier to learn then having to read the book and then trying to follow with the app.
For that purpose I'm also transitioning from LW and I found the 3DBuzz videos great for starters (right after Will's LW2XSI guide) and now I'm enjoying the 3DTutorial videos which I'm finding great value.
Also the manuals are simply great (especially when compared to LW's...)

Old 05 May 2004   #15
yeah, it's strange... few books for a massive appz like xsi....

out of topic (?)::
I'm wondering also why XSI has only one forum while all the other appz, here at cgtalk, have their specific multi forums... and don't tell me that there's a lot of other sites that better fill the request.. coz is the same also for the others appz ... I'm wondering also why the first name in the forum statement is softimage|3D and not only softimage|XSI... .. a matter of edition.. -so why the editors are so reluctant to give xsi all the space it deserves ??

ciao
francesca

Last edited by francescaluce : 05 May 2004 at 01:09 PM.

Thread Closed share thread