WETA to release Massive Freeware

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2002   #1
WETA to release Massive Freeware

Computer Graphics World reports that Massive, the now famous Crowd scene software, will be available commercially AND as Freeware from the soon to be opened Massive Software website.

The freeware version will reportedly lack features sported by the commercial version, however the move appears, on the surface, to motivate 3D Artists to familiarize themselves with the software on a grand scale.

Massive was used by WETA to create the battle scenes in Lord of the Rings in what can only be comparered to a very high end Artificial Intelligence that some games sport.

Reportedly, Charcters, or "Agents" are assigned several motion sets and turned loose with a tag similar to a military I.F.F. wargame tag so only the "enemy" is attacked.

Press release and a full story on http://www.cgw.com

Massive Software site is not yet operational, but will reportedly be http://www.massivesoftware.com

Old 07 July 2002   #2
Cool

I can't wait to read up more stuff on this. I will probably never use it but its cool just to read about.

Old 07 July 2002   #3
My guess it that WETA's thinking is that the more people using it, the more experince out there, the more likely Studios will take advantage of that experience and use their software in production work...

I think it's a good supposition

So they're probably hoping you'll play with the freeware version a bit....

Old 07 July 2002   #4
Sounds interesting, wonder how it stacks up against the AI.implant from BioGraphic Technologies...?

www.biographictech.com

Would be interested to see someone review the two against each other someday...

Old 07 July 2002   #5
Took a cursory look at the site and the content, I couldn't get any details as to how it works save for that it's a plugin for Maya and LW.

Fortunately, with Massive, we've been given some of the details about what's involved in construction...

There was apparently an article about it in 3DWorld, but no text that I could find...

Old 07 July 2002   #6
Sounds great and definitley somting to work in if your trying to get into that specialty (AI/ group simulation) Looking foward to it.

Farley13

Old 07 July 2002   #7
I wish ILM would release Deep Canvase ... ...I have heard that program is everything Deep Paint should be ..

Old 07 July 2002   #8
I'm no fan of Deep Paint.

BodyPaint gives you plenty of capabilities at a fraction of the price. You have to buy Texture Weapons just to get decent UV editing functions.

Overpriced and a resource hog, not to mention that damn dongle...

Old 07 July 2002   #9
ya...but only if bodypaint had a better interface ( more photoshop-ish )

it takes about 2 minutes to get familliar with deep paint. mmm.
( btw. deep paint 2.0 isnt nowhere near as much of a resource hog as it used to be.

Old 07 July 2002   #10
<---actually thinks UVMapper is a better value than any one of them.... http://www.uvmapper.com

The neat thing about it mainly is that it forces the user to learn the ins and outs of UVMapping and why it works the way it does...

The only real problem with it's function is that you have to use a 2D paint program, such as photoshop, with it, and that won't paint on multiple channels.

Other than that, it's just fine for most texture work.

Old 07 July 2002   #11
>>I wish ILM would release Deep Canvase ... ...I have heard that program is everything Deep Paint should be ..

That is Disney that made Deep Canvas, and not ILM. The big thing it was popularized on was for Tarzan doing all the tree's.

Old 07 July 2002   #12
<---just read an article about that last week

didn't put two and two together.

Now one thing I don't understand. Deep Canvas, wasn't that also an old disney technique for set design back in the days of yore when everything was hand drawn?

Old 07 July 2002   #13
Quote: Sounds interesting, wonder how it stacks up against the AI.implant from BioGraphic Technologies...?

I'll go out on a limb and say Massive would hand AI Implant it's ass. Not because AI Implant is bad, but because Massive has proven itself in one of the largest FX productions ever undertaken by Hollywood. If AI Implant were up to the task, WETA would probably have used it. They seem to try to use offf the shelf solutions wherever possible to cut costs.

I have no use for this plugin, but I can't wait to check it out.

Quote: Originally posted by Grey
Now one thing I don't understand. Deep Canvas, wasn't that also an old disney technique for set design back in the days of yore when everything was hand drawn?

Yeah, I don't think Deep Canvas is a particular piece of software, but a process. From what I gather they are using PaintFX or a custom software very similar in methodology.

Last edited by MDC : 07 July 2002 at 06:09 PM.

Old 08 August 2002   #14
Talking Re: WETA to release Massive Freeware

Quote: Originally posted by Grey
[B]Computer Graphics World reports that Massive, the now famous Crowd scene software, will be available commercially AND as Freeware from the soon to be opened Massive Software website....

that is very true, but according to the massive software website they are not releasing a freeware version... check out http://www.massivesoftware.com/faq.html

and contory to popular opinion massive is not a plug in for maya or anyother program but a stand alone programme!!!

wher does baby oil come from?!?!

Old 08 August 2002   #15
:(

Oh well...

I still think we're looking at the future of 3D Character Animation...

Everybody and his brother will be trying to replicate that technology.

Thread Closed share thread