new NVIDIA GeForce 6 series

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2004   #1
Talking new NVIDIA GeForce 6 series

They were introduced last night and now I'm seriously starting to consider building a cheap Athlon 64 machine. (I'm a mac guy)

My question to all of those techies here is this:
How do these cards compare to the quadro series?
I was initially going to go for a Quadro Fx 500 ( is all I can afford right now) Do these offer any significant improvements for content creators or are they mainly aimed at gamers???

(I plan to use one mainly for MAYA and XSI)

http://nvidia.com/object/IO_12687.html

Old 04 April 2004   #2
Re: new NVIDIA GeForce 6 series

Quote: Originally posted by eple
Do these offer any significant improvements for content creators or are they mainly aimed at gamers???
[/url]

It's up in the air really, who knows. These cards aren't meant for DCC but they work with it.

The 6800 has an onboard video processor which would be a god send for video encoding and decoding.

I am thinking of buying it too, but it's a risky investment.

If you get the quadro your not risking much, you know it will work and be stable.

You get the geforce, it could work, only thing that stops me from buying it is all the games are DX9 now, and Maya and XSI are pure open GL apps, so my guess is Nvidia is going to put all there brain power and software engineers on optimizing for DX 9 (like ATI did), and Open GL apps (like maya and XSI) could suffer because of it, they might abadon ALL support for geforce in Maya XSI (not that there is much now, but at least they update the odd time for fixes to maya and xsi) and just tell people to get Quadro's....I hope that dosen't happen, but you run the risk it could...

Who knows though, only time will tell.

Old 04 April 2004   #3
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2023

Wow..look at that cooler....hahaha

Old 04 April 2004   #4
I wonder also how it will work with 3dStudio, I read that someone meant that it would be even better than a quadro 3000! Can that be true???

Old 04 April 2004   #5
well....evertime when nvidia starts a new graphiccards line you read alot bullsh... When they introduced the gforce fx you read that it would be 100% faster then ati......but after they released it the fx wasn't that great....

but hey....if it is really that great it would be nice

Old 04 April 2004   #6
The FX series was a total flop, however the new GF6 series is definitely the top right now. I don't care how optimized the Quadro's are, when you compare the 4 pixel pipelines of the high-end FX series to the 16 of the GF6 who do you think is going to be faster?

I no longer read anandtech for graphics, they are well-known to be nVidia-biased. The only site that I know of that manages to maintain objectivity is beyond3d.com and here's the link you want.

Old 04 April 2004   #7
Quote: Customers who end up buying this card will most likely need to upgrade their power supply as well.

this thing sucks up more watts then my vacuum cleaner. looks they should package new power supplies w/ the card. but then again, its so damn powerful, who cares. if the computer crashes, you might need to jump it w/ your car's battery to get it going again.

Old 04 April 2004   #8
nVidia recommends at least a 480W PSU. If you're running dual CPU's then you can look forward to buying an even bigger one.

Old 04 April 2004   #9
Interresting reviews. I've now read 6 review sites which all show identical benchmarks. Are these actual reviews or just the marketting BS that nvidia sent them?

Old 04 April 2004   #10
truth be told, most reviewers don't "waste" their time running benches themselves. instead, they just take PR's numbers and repeat them. Look at the B3D article, I know Dave did his own testing.

Old 04 April 2004   #11
I find it funny that Guru3D.com, Beyond3d.com and NVIDIA's N-Zone are all down/running slow today. NVIDIA did a good job with the hype this time around

The video processor is very intriguing as I do a lot of video editing. My system (dual-CPU) can currently handle video encoding with most formats in real-time and sometimes greater though. But it would be great to be able to have a video encode going on the GPU in real time and still be able to work with the system.

I look foreward to more benchmarks. The numbers so far are pretty impressive, with a pretty good margin (30% or so at the least) above ATI's 9800XT. The resolutions that the card can spit out at playable framerates are very impressive.

From a preformance perspective it is going to be even more interesting when ATI's next gen-stuff comes out.

As for the cooler, NVIDIAs marketing pics show a single-slot design. The huge thing is just an engineering sample.

Based on the preformance in OpenGL games NVIDIA is still on top when it comes to OpenGL support. Supposedly the card is 100% OpenGL 1.5 compliant.

Gallery Pages
SFS Forum is here. 2MB attachments are allowed on these forums.
SFS Gallery is here. 50MB free display space for your artwork.

Last edited by stephen2002 : 04 April 2004 at 06:58 PM.

Old 04 April 2004   #12
Quote: Originally posted by stephen2002 I look foreward to more benchmarks. The numbers so far are pretty impressive, with a pretty good margin (30% or so at the least) above ATI's 9800XT. From a preformance perspective it is going to be even more interesting when ATI's next gen-stuff comes out.
you really shouldn't be comparing the GF6 to a Radeon 9xxx and nor should reviewers. The R3x0 is a previous generation product not the GF6's competition, and doesn't belong there.

Quote: As for the cooler, NVIDIAs marketing pics show a single-slot design. The huge thing is just an engineering sample.
actually, the "huge thing" is not an engineering sample, it's the reference board. The engineering samples (the ones that were circulating at CeBit) were running at 475MHz and the reference boards are running at only 400. Of couse, the boards that actually get shipped from some manufacturers will likely be fitted with several different (though similar) cooling solutions, just as with the FX series. I suggest you read the B3D article as is explains all of that rather well.

Old 04 April 2004   #13
Quote: Originally posted by 3Dfx_Sage
The FX series was a total flop

You consider greater than 65% market share for the DX9 class market segment a total flop?

Pretty big complement to nVidia that when they don't get 80 to 100% marketshare for a new generation it is a failure.

What will be interesting to see is how much of a hit ATI takes for their next card only being the same (partial) Shader Model 2.0 architecture versus a next generation Shader Model 3.0 architecture.

ATI's focus was to release a new R3x0 chip with some tuning and a native PCI-E interface. I think that may end up costing them. Their only hope is if R420 is much faster with older and current DX9 Shader Model 2.0 games so they can focus on that and overpower this not being a new architecture and the fact that they have no support for DX9 Shader Model 3.0 features coming out.

Last edited by CgFX : 04 April 2004 at 11:33 PM.

Old 04 April 2004   #14
Another interesting point is that R420 was to have a large chunk of its pipes disabled and hidden as they felt they could beat NV40 with 8 or 12 pipes. After Game Developers Conference it came out that they were going to light up all 16 pipes from the get-go.

Clearly an "uh oh!" move based on developer feedback as they were hoping to reserve those pipes for a later fight with NV45 or later but need them now to compete with NV40.

Should be interesting.

Old 04 April 2004   #15
http://www.overclockercafe.com/

Have a pretty big set of reviews there, a few (such as the bit-tech one, as well as other places on the web) show the retail version with a cooler that only needs one slot.

Quote: you really shouldn't be comparing the GF6 to a Radeon 9xxx and nor should reviewers.

What else can they (reviewers) compare it to right now? They're obviously not saying it will be better than the R420, because they don't know for sure, just for a comparison of speed increase between generations. They have to compare it to something, or else a lot of people won't know whether the numbers they're giving are fast or not.

Most of the results show it seeming to be more than 50% better when it comes to 4x AAing, 8x (or 16x) AFing, and 1600x1200 res than the 9800 XT (again, just for reference). Unfortunately, as it uses [what is it called, super sampling?], the 8x AAing makes a huge performance hit.

What I'm really waiting for is seeing some benchmarks of the 6800U running in Doom 3 or something, in "32x0" mode.

I'm also concerned about nVidia stopping support of Maya/XSI with gamer cards, but it seems unlikely they'd take it to the extent that ATI has (in consideration that, supposedly, even the FireGLs suck in Maya and XSI).

And the million dollar question, how long till the NV40 based Quadro cards?

Last edited by Novakog : 04 April 2004 at 03:37 AM.

Thread Closed share thread