old AREXX script never updated?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2004
old AREXX script never updated?

greets.

Way, way back on the Amiga version of LightWave, there was an AREXX script which covered an object with randomly scattered points. It was called (ahem) "prick".

When LightWave was ported to the PC, AREXX did not go along with it, so scripts had to be ported to C (this was well before LScript). The C port of prick, called "randprick", was botched so that the points were cut into the existing object instead of putting the new points in another layer. This completely destroyed the utility of the plug, of course. I have been searching for a replacement for this script ever since, with no luck.

Does anyone know of a script, plugin or whatever that functions EXACTLY like the original AREXX prick?

03 March 2004
and did I mention that I'm almost ready to kill to get this functionality back? Every workaround I've come up with, or alternative plugin downloaded, in the last ten years, has some annoying limitation or another.

03 March 2004
I vaguely remember it. My useless answer is no, I don't know of any replacement.

My second answer is, surely there's a whole ton of ways to get this functionality with other plugins.
The first thing I can thing of would be to subdivide (with smoothing - it's up to you) a copy and put it on another layer.
Then use that recent "random point picker" plugin (or whatever it was called... it's on Flay very recently), invert the selection and delete.... job done no?

Sorry, not what you were hoping and I'm sure you've tried an arse load of alternatives, but that's my first thought...

03 March 2004
well, that "random point picker" does sound like something I'd want anyhow, so that's cool.

part of the problem is that I'm at work. I have Polas' Leaves Generator at home, and that does do the trick... I just need a non-commercial equivalent. I should write him and ask if that part of LG can be separated from it and released freely.

03 March 2004
a similar plugin was converted from AREXX to LScript:
it's the free MFC-hair plugin (mfchair.p) from Virtual Visions.
It can populate a mesh with points, polyline, or curves.
I can't find any web page actually but i got a version somewhere.
Send me a email PM and i will send it to you.
hope it help.
a++

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread