Color theory advice

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2004
Color theory advice

Alright, and I might be going out on a limb here, but I want some advice on where to start if I want to improve my color work. I'm not even sure if thats how to phrase my question really.

My deal is this. I'm an entirely self taught artist who has rode for a long time professionally on my technical skills and my ability to define form and render surface texture well. However, my color work is fairly flat in my opinion and I'm looking for a place to start that gives me a structured way to approach how I work with color.

The best way to elaborate I guess would be to compare a flat drab approach like Splinter Cell against some of Blizzards work. Both are technically sound, however Blizzards work is far more compelling visually. I understand there are a lot of elements that play into this and comparing the two is a bit odd, but I'm abstracting the two art styles out to color choices and composition and I want to know if there are any publications or works that can help me to understand how to work with color to get that more dynamic visual impact.

I hope that made sense, thanks in advance.

-L

03 March 2004
Sorry I can't realy get what you are looking for. Is it this: http://www.colormatters.com/colortheory.html
BTW: you can try to search google.

03 March 2004
most definite

there are books on color theory at Barnes and Nobles, and probobly other large name book stores. They are normaly next to the art section. Sometimes it seems like those books are not giving me the information I'm looking for. I understand. Study (if that word turns you off, at least take a look at) impressionist masters like Cluade Monet. Having such a strong understanding of color allowed him to produce fantastic looking work with not much detail to the shapes. You have to understand how the human eye sees the color and what it inturrperets it as. An idea might be to look for some books that break down and explain expressionism, making sure they talk a lot about color.

As far as games go, another great choice is Metal Gear Solid 2. Look at the sky in the oil rig level. It almost looks plain. But it looks really nice. The rest of the textures in that game are very flat too, and some of the level textures don't have much detail. But when your at a distance......they look fantastic

03 March 2004
Heh, I have the Johhanes Itten book on its way now. I'm very excited to dive into it given the high praise its gotten.

I've read lots of online texts that try to delve into working with color but none of them spark any understanding that comes out in my work. I'm wondering whether or not I just wasn't meant to use color. Which would be fine with me, I just need to sort that out. I'll post some work in the WIP section here in a bit after I tackle some of these books I've ordered.

Thanks all.

-L

03 March 2004
"book" doesn't always mean good

there are a lot of books out there, nobody said they are all good, or they might read the way you would want them to read. Don't let the idea that you haven't found a book that teaches what you want to scare you off from color. Please don't do that!!

03 March 2004
Oh I'm far from giving up on color. As a matter of fact I'm hell bent on making color my b&#h >=] Or something to that effect...

I also understand that some people just aren't good at some things so we'll see

Like I said, posted work is imminent, even if it looks like crap.

-L

03 March 2004
There's an interesting little discussion over here:

http://forums.sijun.com/viewtopic.php?t=35695

There's a particularily interesting point about lightsources and area's of colour saturation.

03 March 2004
2 cents

I took a similar path starting from the technical side of things and very much self taught. In college I even skipped over the foundation drawing and painting courses in favor of the 3D and Illustration application courses because I was very capable in those environments. I regret having wasted the time putting the cart before the horse and afterward went back and took the foundation courses which included color studies. My work from then on went to a whole new level.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread