Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Simon Chataway

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2004   #1
Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Simon Chataway

Simon Chataway has entered the Machineflesh 2D Challenge.

MachineFlesh entry: No Strings Attached

Old 03 March 2004   #2
Concept Sketch: characters

these are the two characters, working on a theme of kids playing cowboys and indians. The weapons are mechanical attachments to the characters, whether by bio mechanical glove, or armor(the vest of the indian... The cowboy has an unfair advantage (as usual), but its all in fun... The cowboys weapons are water pistols, with compressed air (the bottles on his back are water and air).

Old 03 March 2004   #3
Concept Sketch: concept

Trying to put them together somehow, i was thinking they are backing towards eachother , oblivious of whats behind them.. this is very rough, the legs are dodgy, and so on...

Old 03 March 2004   #4
hiya eupee,

I see u r a fellow south australian, I like ur idea i think everyone played cowboys and indians a children. Have u seen Wlid Wild West with wil smith, i saw ur idea and thought of the gadgets in that movie kind of High-tech. The cowboy looks cool.... the indians weapon looks maybe a little bulky.

Good luck

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 03 March 2004   #5
hey

ha, south australia's the ONLY place to live. ha

i haven't seen wild wild west, i should hire it if theres references to this sort of thing, cheers..

yeah, i was trying to design a weapon for the indian while keeping the bow and arrow elements in it, i will work on a less bulky weapon, or cheat and make the cowboy at the front and only see the indians good parts.. thatnks for the advice mate.

Old 03 March 2004   #6
Concept Sketch: Concept2a

another concept. a man/teenager, involved in an accident, saved by his now "master"...

"when he saved my life after the accident the master told me there would be no strings attached"

the masters hand puppeteers his "puppet" and further controls him through wires conected(weaving through the chains).

Old 03 March 2004   #7
Concept Sketch: Concept2b

the masters hand.... its basic now, but i will make it more menacing and mechanical. the main cable in the midle of his palm is connected to his "puppets" brain... metal rings connect the chains. peace...

Old 03 March 2004   #8
Concept Sketch: ConceptColour

this was a test for colours, seeing if they would clash etc... having difficulty with flesh colour for the face. any tips would be appreciated for that issue!

blocked in background colour merely to get rid of the doodles and text that surrounded it previously... the circle on the floor is where the spotlight lands with the jesters shadow... i was messing around with the rays of the spot light, seeing what it would look like against the character...

Old 03 March 2004   #9
Cool Stuff. Fun.

Old 03 March 2004   #10
Cool idea

Maybe the picture would work better if you see his sadistic master as well, and if he looked more like a human.
The figure looks like a doll, maybe the idea of him being rescued is more clear if he looks like a real human. Just a suggestion

Old 03 March 2004   #11
ha, yeah im making the fun character of a jester a depressing idea. actually i suppose it depends how you take it.

cheers for the advice jawine, when i add more detail to the face and create a more realistic look, hopefully he will become more "human" looking. i was thinking of eggsagerating some of his features like a charactature... im still working on his master, whether to just show his hand, or show more of him, like you said.

thanks

Old 03 March 2004   #12
Hey again eupee,

Love this one aswell interesting concept, We are all controlled someway or another..... we are all puppets.

Two suggestion remember the guidelines, Machine into flesh maybe have no clamps have the wiring/cables straight into the skin. The Cables to the legs on a puppet go to the knees.

P.S. South Australia Rulez hehe

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 03 March 2004   #13
Concept Sketch: Masters Hand

If you look at the top left design: and ignore the top right drawing...

This is a concept for the "masters" hand. he will be wearing 4 rings on the four fingers that you see. The chains and wires will be connected to them which are connected to his "puppet". in the middle of his palm comes an RCA type cable (obvioulsy more advanced than that of course), and that leads to the "puppets" brain ( all this is mentioned in previous posts i think). half his hand is mechanical, and the cables lead through this section and back out through the tendon thingies in his arms.

I didn't add the chains etc. to the rings because i was trying work on the mechanical parts of the hand, and they obstructed it. i will change a few things of course before finalising it.

bottom right is how the rings might look with the chains and wires.

Old 03 March 2004   #14
Concept Sketch: Jesters "puppet" head

This is the jesters (puppets) head. he has a sort of metal half skull cap attached to him,

where cables are connected near his temple region. This skull cap replaces part of his skull

where further electronics are connected to his brain (underneath the metal). He still wears

his hat, which is intertwined with the metal.

Old 03 March 2004   #15
Concept Sketch: Proportion concept

I was trying to get composition and proportions right in this drawing, then i took a few minutes with the dodge/burn tool to find a position for the spotlight that would be cast on the character (light is from top left). The masters hand i think will show more (as in the palm) in future...

ANY advice is greatly appreciated, Cheers for the input Element5!!!

share thread