Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: von caberte

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2004   #1
Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: von caberte

von caberte has entered the Machineflesh 2D Challenge.

Old 03 March 2004   #2
Concept Sketch: "Guard Dog"

Hi!!!

Like every entrant here's my wip.

This is not my final entry yet, just throwing this in to comply the requirement and see everybody's comment.

Thanks for now.

cabertevon
http://www.cabertevon.com

Old 03 March 2004   #3
I know what you mean about the first image, dude. I have gotten quite a long way into some of the details of my first image and I don't think I'll pursue it as a final entry. In fact, I feel so strongly that I won't wind up using it, I'm not sure I'll even post it as a WIP but oh well.

I hope that you, myself, and others with this same mentality don't let it get like a poker game or an e-bay auction in that we hold off until the last second to show our hand (poker), run up the bids (poker or e-bay), and thereby ruin the whole point of this forum's rules for the contest though.

So I'm going to go ahead and comment on this image you've posted though. That way you might get some ideas for what to do next based on what you've done here.

The use of a dog is great! I am a lot like the other people who have posted so far in that my first thoughts were humanoid cyborg in nature. Although the novelty of using a dog is pretty strong, the PURPOSE of giving a quadreped 4 replacement legs is unclear. Dogs are pretty efficient as a design just naturally. Maybe turn up the contrast a bit. For example, giving faster legs to a basset hound, taller legs to a Dachsund. Or you could go the redundancy round and give REALLY fast legs to a greyhound, bigger teeth to a rotweiler, etc...

Old 03 March 2004   #4
Ok, here's my inital reaction:

SWEET!!!

Ok, here's my more professional review:

Great quality previsualization. The use of a very common household pet brings forth a lot of hidden meaning. I'm interrested on how you will devolop your composition for this piece.

Keep the slightly cocked head, it gives that almost an innocence to the character. If I remember correctly, however, the implants should be very appearant for what they are used for... even with that said, I wouldn't change much.

Old 03 March 2004   #5
like this by itself a lot. though the legs seem more hindrance compared to a real dogs legs. the crab legs though coll loking arent ann addon. only in my opinion though good sketch work.
love,
Omen

Old 03 March 2004   #6
I think this is really good, one of my favourite entries so far. I like the way you've not just put a robot dog leg in place of the real legs, the spider type design works really well. Not sure if I agree with keeping him looking innocent though, if he were an upgraded guard dog they would have upgraded his aggression as well as his legs and eyes?

Old 03 March 2004   #7
Thats a sweet concept, the tilt o the head is nice...try to capture a nuance these dogs have, a very subtle detail/s expressing a specific moment or emotion, keep up the good work!

Old 03 March 2004   #8
WOOW! This just really very rocks! As I can see in your concept you're a good 2D artist, so the final image will be stunning

Old 03 March 2004   #9
I am starting to feel that the concept of spider-like legs, organic and robotic alike, has been overused.

It would be really great if you can come up with a design that we have rarely or never seen before.

I've got a funny thought here: if the dog's got springs attached to where its four legs used to be, it'll be one cute, bouncy and excitable 'puppy'! I'm thinking Odie here...

Old 03 March 2004   #10
Woaw!!!

Awesome design sketch, i'm surprise by the fine head, the sweet expression by your dog, and the good perspective in spider legs.
You have a very good technical drawing.

Old 03 March 2004   #11
good solid drawing! brilliant idea. you got there first.
I f part of it is titanium I would like to see more of the vulnrable areas( neck) covered.

Old 03 March 2004   #12
Great Work!

Old 03 March 2004   #13
Line Art: "Guard Dog Detailed.1"

Hi!!!

Again, here is the initial detailed version of my concept. I have this thought of pushing this as my final entry.

But before i disappear again, i would like to share a little backgrounder about my concept. That dog is my pet, and "BSODWarrior" was right there, "he" indeed a common household pet, I felt overwhelmed by "BSODWarrior" comment. I proved to myself that manage to deliver my message across without discussing it.

The idea i'm presenting here is somewhat an upgraded version of my dog's character. So, having an extreme bizarre features does not perfectly fit, showing some upgraded aggression maybe, but not in this piece.

Thank you guys for all your comments posted, it really helps me solidify my concept.

God Bless.

cabertevon
http://www.cabertevon.com

Last edited by cabertevon : 03 March 2004 at 02:32 PM.

Old 03 March 2004   #14
hmm.. very nice drawing.. but the design itself, I don't really understand. I've seen similar kind of mechanical legs here .. seems to be popular.. but to me they don't look very practical.

who would build such legs that are pointy like that on the end? on soft surface, you would sink, and on hard surface, you would slip all the time..

they do look kind of cool tho..

.b

Old 03 March 2004   #15
I like this concept! Very funny and well executed.

I've read that it doesn't look very pratical. Maybe this dog should be more upgraded, in a way of walking on walls and ceiling?

Good luck!

Last edited by Friedric P : 03 March 2004 at 05:13 PM.

share thread