Beast of Burden - Character - Gamoron

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2002
Beast of Burden - Character - Gamoron

Well, I'm gonna give it another go and try something new this time. I've done some sketches and I have to admit this challenge kinda pees me off. I can't really come up with any great ideas. Everytime I try something fantastic I start throwing questions could this thing actually live? So I've ended up with this Rhino guy. This is early though and I think I'll work it some more before I say I'll go with the concept to the finish. It's not such a bad idea either that I'm doing this though it does bring attention to its plight. Check the link out if you want to see what I mean.

www.rhinos-irf.org/rhinos/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beast.jpg (39.3 KB, 582 views)

Last edited by Gamoron : 08 August 2002 at 12:40 PM.

07 July 2002
now that has REAL goodness goin down. I can't wait to see teh final product. very nice rhino indeed... i also lovet he way the guy is looking off to theh orizon, rocking

Arco

07 July 2002
Thanks Arco. I'm not sure If I'll keep the guy in or not. Depends on the rules and what a beast of burden is. As for the guys pose I think I sort of unintentionally took it from Wiro's postapoc snowdude. I sketched him out and there was vaguely that pose and I just refined it. oh well.
Thanks dude!

07 July 2002
naw dude you gotta keep the guy he looks cool! I love it I really do... post some updates!

Arco

07 July 2002
That's a nice drawing, the rhino face is rendered very well. The only comment I have at this point is that his feet should look more like they have all that weight on them.

07 July 2002
Thanks puddlefish, there was something about it that was bugging me in his stance. I thought I had to pose it... but that's it, the weight! Thanks

I'll update hopefully soon, I'm doing a 3d entry too. Really brown nosing it this month. i need all the practise I can get.

I'm gonna keep the guy Arco thanks.

Cheers

07 July 2002
KEEP IT UP!looks great!

B-movie

07 July 2002
Now some blocked in colour. I still don't know what I'll make it haul or carry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beast.jpg (26.1 KB, 475 views)

07 July 2002
Love the Rhino Gamorran I spend alot of time at our local zoo sketching them . They'll usually cooperate the weight looks much better

07 July 2002
Thanks Stygian. I've shrunk the rider down since to make the rhino more prehistoric looking. A real brute now. hopefully I can paint him well.

07 July 2002
Lookin good! He looks like a scout for an army or hunter searching for the enemy, or maybe he's pulling an injured comrade or wounded rhino....remember those makeshift stretcher sleds used in western movies? I dunno, just thoughts.

Glad you turned the rhino head, eye contact with the viewer is a good visual trick to bring in you into the piece. (it's a fave of mine.)

07 July 2002
I think the rhino looks much better, but I wouldn't pull so far back from him when you put him in the environment. It undermines his size slightly. I think a closer, almost claustrophobic framing of him would really help create a convincing sense of power and size.

Also, don't forget his burden can go on his back as well, maybe a huge mound of packs and junk, or maybe some sort of military or scanning equipment? As well as that, the creature doesn't necessarily have to be straining under his burden, I think if he carried a large weight without noticable strain it would lend more to his presence.

Hope this helps!

07 July 2002
@Sleepless - Thanks, I like the suggestion for pulling an injured comrade. At the moment I look at him as a scout, throwing an injured one maybe on his back would add some drama. Cheers!

@puddlefish - Zoom in huh. I've considered it, but I'm not sure. I think I'll continue with the way it is for now and try cropping later and if it changes the mood, I'll alter the drawing accordingly. Thanks! I do want him to be seen as hulking...

07 July 2002
Still have to add whatever he's hauling.

07 July 2002
nice

share thread