Game Art Comp #6: Nicholas Cage/ Gone in 60 Seconds

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2004
Game Art Comp #6: Nicholas Cage / Gone in 60 Seconds

Just reserving it, please delete my other entry. Sorry to the moderator. I try'd to change the title but it wouldn't change and I'd rather not mislead people.

Figure I gotta show something so heres reference.

Last edited by Pezz3D : 03 March 2004 at 05:32 AM.

03 March 2004
U can easily chop out lots of polys, I think the hair looks too much like a "lump" on his head. Maybe consider alphas?

03 March 2004
Never used alphas, guess I should learn. As for the lump I kinda agree it looks to elvisie.

03 March 2004
i reckon the nose is good mate, but the much of the face is all too non-descript.
there is a very square, grid-like arrangement to the polys, i think with an entire reworking of these following the shape of his face (the edge loop principle) would help it look like nick a hell of a lot more.
i know how big a headache tweaking is but its only made harder with the no. of polys in there that aren't actually defining shape.
im sure this one can be so cool, just keep going!

03 March 2004
Mungo: I ussually try and focus alot of detail in the face and considering I use edge extrusion it contributes to that boxy look,( A bad habit I know.) it needs some tweaking but it was done in about an hour, wanna do a draw over of where they think I can optimize or define the shape better? It's easier for me when I can view what your saying. I personally think the cheekbones are a bit off, as for the hair but thats been mentioned. Thanks for the crit's I should probably smooth it and show what it looks like smoothed.... that could possibly help with crits.

03 March 2004
I see it... Plain as the nose on his... well, ok, bad pun... but here is what I think happened to your model, and a small problem with it, which can easily be corrected. In making the head, you inadvertatnly placed the center of the face slightly off to one side. This makes his nose appear alot wider then it should be. This means... simply take all the verts not in the center of the face, and move them inward. This can be a common problem when using 1 sided faces. A couple of good tests... Take the wire frame of the face and overlay it on the head, look very closely at it. Another, is to take the one side of the face that you used to make the head, and dupe it over to the other side. Make it match Cage's face. You will then see very clearly, in the pixels of the nose, exactly where the center of the face is. You will also get a good picture of how the face widths are supposed to be.

As far as the hair.... Sadly, I could always associate myself with Nicholas Cage... Balding men have alot less hair on top.
What you have is more of a bowl on top, should be a little more smoothed back....

Again...

Lastly, Either the smoothing makes the chest look too stuck out. The center of a man's chest... Unless he is a body builder, is mostly flat with the sternum.

Either way. Good model, good start, good luck.

again...

http://www.lod3d.net
http://www.lod3d.net/forum

03 March 2004
Thanks bud, thanks for the great crits, I'll try that when I start 3dsmax up again.

03 March 2004

Made an adjustment to the hair..... Didn't bring in the center verts yet like I was told to do but I will soon.

Thread Closed share thread