Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Jesse Speak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2004
Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Jesse Speak

Jesse Speak has entered the Machineflesh 2D Challenge.

Steampunk - my entry

03 March 2004
Concept Sketch: First idea

An early idea of mine is to explore the idea of body modification for style or recreation. Having once had a facial piercing (now removed) I'd be interested what will become fashionable in say half a century's time. I'm thinking brain or skull modification, maybe a sleek metal housing with internal lighting and perhaps inter-skull connectivity for added kicks. This is just a quick sketch to flesh out the idea.

Steampunk - my entry

03 March 2004
Concept Sketch: Bar Kissers

Taking this idea a bit further. I want to put it in context so I thought of some kind of cool futuristic bar with people milling around and two cranially modded people kissing passionately in the foreground. I like the green glow idea, so maybe the bar could be suffused in red light which would complement it nicely. I'm also liking the connectivity idea so I'd like to see these two lovers hooking themselves together with jack plugs and super-Firewire type connections for that extra level of shared experience.... ?

Steampunk - my entry

03 March 2004
nice concept man

verry Intriguing
I love being able to see through it like that with the green emitting.

with the styles I see today, I can see that hapening in 100-200 years from now.

03 March 2004
Nice graphics and story.

Only crit so far, do not stop with the just the people in the bar, maybe even the place (bar) is another added incentive to further seek modifications.

Think about it, people go to a techno bar why? The lasers, the smart drinks, the music, the lighting, the scene, the people, the environment. Every thing feeds into and receives feedback from somewhere else in a feedback loop that keeps the whole thing moving to reach higher extremes than the last.

Darn, I need to keep this to myself...heh

I loved your latest sketch so far, so I just had to give this feedback to you.

03 March 2004
SteveFoX and Continuumx, thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated!

SteveFox - maybe this kind of thing will happen within our lifetime and give us something to worry about when we're old and stuck in the past?

Continuumx - Wow you certainly take the idea to the max! I like the way you think. Certainly I'm going to give the bar a lot of techno juice. What I'm aiming to do is show how this cranial modding can be completely accepted by the culture and society in the picture, yet freakishly extreme to us in the here and now.

03 March 2004
Concept Sketch: Another head concept

Another sketch of my cranially modified woman. I'm just testing the green glowing brain set against a predominantly red backdrop, and I think it could work well.

I like the idea of being able to say, "You have such a beautiful brain" and mean it literally. The whole idea of actually seeing someone's brain messes with the whole inside body / outside body split. Very strange.

Steampunk - my entry

Last edited by Speaky : 03 March 2004 at 09:50 AM.

03 March 2004
Concept Sketch: Refined Bar Kissers

And another quick concept sketch, tying together the kissing pair, the red lit bar and the green glowing brains. About two hours for this, starting from a pretty bad pencil sketch, block colours, standard kick lights all over the place. I like where it's headed. Comments and criticism are welcome.

Steampunk - my entry

03 March 2004
You really captured the mood with this sketch. rock on!

My 3D Space Opera

03 March 2004
Re: Concept Sketch: Refined Bar Kissers

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Speaky
[B]

Hey, they still have some "animal instincts"!
My favorite so far!

03 March 2004
Last one combines so much emotional themes... I think thats the one to go.
But thats just my opinion.

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

03 March 2004
I love the composition and overall mood. The design is nice too and different from a lot of other people so far. So many people are trying to create a really dark and scary combination between metal and flesh, which is cool too, but with your idea you are still focusing on the key requirement for this challenge but also introducing symbolism and if anything story.

I can't wait to see more!

03 March 2004
The last kissing image is deffinitely the strongest one so far. Nice work with the compliment colors, also. Normally I'd be afraid of using both intense reds and greens at the same time, but you're pulling off nicely. Can't wait to see the finish

03 March 2004
very nice concept! the style is very striking as well. keep up the awesome work!

03 March 2004
Hey thanks for the comments people!

Crazybread - Thanks for dropping by. I'm very impressed with the insanely detailed sketch you've got going in your thread. Too good, man.

NLO - Yeah, they should get a room! Thanks for that!

Tommy Lee - I always think it's important to include emotional content in picture. Hey, I've been keeping an eye on your thread. Very good work from you as always. It's so sick!

AirbORn - Thanks AirbORn! I'm trying to avoid some cliches while keeping a serious tone to the picture. The temptation is to create something dark and terrifying, a cybernetic pain / killing / destructo / mechanic angel / soldier .... yeahhhh. I wanted to show how a radical machineflesh melding could become normal. Life goes on, people go to a bar, people kiss. With their brains visible and lit by neon, lol.

Evil Gerbil - I hope the final piece will live up to it! I picked the intense reds and greens on purpose, but I wonder if it'll become too much? That's kind of why I have the white light of the bar in it, to act as a balancer. Thanks for taking the time.

teknotek83 - Cheers. I'll do my best!

Steampunk - my entry

share thread