Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: Zachary Taich

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2004   #1
Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: Zachary Taich

Zachary Taich has entered the Machineflesh 3D Challenge.

>> Coming Soon: Adventure takes a whole new form... <<

Old 03 March 2004   #2
Well here's my introduction.

I'm a bit of a newbie, and I'll admit it. I honestly don't see myself even getting close to winning. I'm not saying that I don't have some hope for winning, I'm just saying I'm a realist and an optimist at the same time. I see this as a great learning experience for me. I'll post a concept as soon as I have an idea of what I'm going to do.

Here are some quick stats:
Software:
Animation:Master, Wings3D, and photoshop.

Hardware:
I'm using a Sony Vaio computer with a mere 480 mb of Ram. I have a Pentium. I'm using a Wacom graphire3 graphics tablet for texture.

Just so it's out in the open, I'm currently 14 years old.

I'm really excited the contest topic is great. The numbers of people signing up is a bit daunting, but that's OK. The more the merrier. I look forward to see the awesome work others are doing.
Thanks CGnetworks for the opportunity, and thanks to everyone who offers they're support along the way.

Old 03 March 2004   #3
Originally posted by zero2zillion

[/B]

wow ... and good luck.

Old 03 March 2004   #4
Originally posted by Day-Dreamer
wow ... and good luck.

I was going to post earlier, I felt Zachary's professionalism far exceeded my expectations of a 14-year old CGTalk member. Very respectable. Good luck in the challenge, by the way.

Old 03 March 2004   #5
Thank you so much for your kind words.
I've got a first concept. I'm not very good at 2D, but it was a good way to get my idea out.

It's kind of an old man of the machine type thing. Interpret it as you like. Tell me what you think. I have no idea about what my background will be as of yet.

>>image below<<

I'm a little bit busy what with school (8th grade) and some other projects (modeling for Cheese Wars Episode 14).

I was going to post earlier, I felt Zachary's professionalism far exceeded my expectations of a 14-year old CGTalk member. Very respectable. Good luck in the challenge, by the way.

Thanks. Proffesionalism is something I aquired trying to get 3D logo design jobs (see my signature).
Needless to say no fish have bitten yet

Thanks for any comments and critiques. I'm glad I've got 3 months for this. I'm gonna need every second of it.

Zachary Taich

Last edited by zero2zillion : 03 March 2004 at 08:26 PM.

Old 03 March 2004   #6
um checked your website...the pics don't show up? maybe it's just me.

good luck, i'm really young too and very new to this stuff.

Old 03 March 2004   #7
Yup, my site just went down. As I mentioned I don't have any income, so I can't pay for more bandwidth. I'm getting an overload of people coming to my site right now. It's tabulated by the hour so it should be back soon. If you are really interested in seeing some of my work you can either PM or email me (zack@zack3d.tk) and I'll send you some links to pictures on picserver.

I'm now accepting donations for the "Zack's Bandwith Foundation". Please send by paypal to: zack3d@pacbell.net (that's where I prefer paypal sent, although zack@zack3d.tk should work too)

Zachary Taich

Old 03 March 2004   #8
Concept Sketch: Old Man of the Machine

*Sorry for the double post. I didn't realize I had to do it through the website.*
This is the concept sketch, I have better pencil sketches but unfortunately I don't have a scanner handy.

Old 03 March 2004   #9
Modeling: Modeling WIP

It's not much but this is all I had time for tonight.

Old 03 March 2004   #10
Concept Sketch: Concept 2

Which concept do you like more? Should I keep churning out some more. maybe I'll hit a jackpot.

Old 03 March 2004   #11
Modeling: Old Man WIP

I need some tips here, as I said I'm a huge newbie, and what I need are tips on how to make a character look older. Thanks.

Old 03 March 2004   #12
zero2million ...best of luck to you .. ..i think it's great your gettin into this at such a young age

as for the model .. a lot of great info can be found in this thread http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38469

one quick thing i noticed is your eyes .. right now you have the poles of the spheres pointing in the "Y" where they should be pointing in the "Z" .. looking straight on, so to speak ... your topology is fairly good so far .. you just need some wrinkles and don't forget, you can add a lot as far as age with your bump map

Old 03 March 2004   #13

yes! atleast I'm not the only one.

with that..I like the second concept more.

would be cool if we could talk on msn or something and expect honest critisizm. PM me about it if you like.

Last edited by dpvtank : 03 March 2004 at 05:12 AM.

Old 03 March 2004   #14
I don't have time to post it right now but I have changed the topology a bit to reflect where the actual muscles in the cheek area are placed.

Thanks for the link, pigwater, I enjoyed looking at it for educational purposes, but unfortunately I cannot exactly "copy" it because I use A:M, which has a very different modeling style. I can still apply the direction and flow and placement of muscles.

Thank you dpv tank for your suggesetion. I'm still heavily considering going with the first because I believe it has the capacity to be a very strong piece. In the background in another sketch I did, I had mountains and lightning and rain. The one thing is I will want to add more mech onto the head, and maybe show where the "piping" leads (A 24 hour convenience store, probably )

Zachary Taich

Old 03 March 2004   #15
hey good luck dude... great concepts...

share thread