Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Mark Okon

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2004   #1
Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Mark Okon

Mark Okon has entered the Machineflesh 2D Challenge.

Old 03 March 2004   #2
Concept Sketch: Terra Forming Production Unit

My idea is that in the future the air quality will be so poor on Earth that air is recycled by trees however at an accelerated pace based on standard oxygen levels released by trees and plants. The trees would be feed polluted air through underground pipelines that gather the polluted air. My other idea is that trees are used for Terra Forming missions on planets and asteroids with high concentrations of carbon dioxide and other unknown gases. The trees would be modified to be able to adapt to the chemical construction of all hazardous gases.

Old 03 March 2004   #3
Concept Sketch: Female Robot

Looking at everyones work, this contest will be a very difficult one to win. I'm getting into a creative block, I just can't think of something unique and interesting.

Anyway, I think I'm going to scrap the tree idea and move into human related concepts. With this concept you see here, I want to focus on the internal organs of a robot, obviously there is very little detail but I want to add little lights, inputs, mechanical vaines, etc. Keep checking back, I should have some detailed concepts on certain key components uploaded within a the week.

Old 03 March 2004   #4
I think the trees is way more original than an enhanced woman, already seen lots of them on the site
And with a good composition a drawing of the trees can be very cool as well

Old 03 March 2004   #5
That's what I thought, perhaps I'll try and give the tree idea another run. Thanks for the comment Jawine.

Old 03 March 2004   #6
... yeah forget human robot chicks. I'm with jawine. That tree idea sounds so much more nicer. anyways good luck friend!

My 3D Space Opera

Old 03 March 2004   #7
Thanks for the comment crazybread, I'm glad some people like the tree idea, I wasn't sure because no one posted any comments before.

I'll definatly produce some crazy concepts with variations this week. Check back soon!

Old 03 March 2004   #8
Concept Sketch: mechanical tree

Well due to popular demand, I'm doing the tree idea. This is just a quick concept for a possible composition.

I am currently working on detailed concepts for specific components found on the tree.

Any comments or suggestions?

Old 03 March 2004   #9
quite like the tree idea, glad to see you're taking it further.

Old 03 March 2004   #10
Originally posted by flyingP
quite like the tree idea, glad to see you're taking it further.

AND I DOUBLE THAT!

Old 03 March 2004   #11
Tommy Lee, and FlyingP thanks for the comments.

Old 03 March 2004   #12
Trees need quite a mass of leaves to absorb Co2 etc.
I believe if you cut this mass out of your concept it might not work.
And may be you go for an industrial background and have the tree the main focus by giving it sound, more natural colours.

In my opinion the composition of your first sketch was way better than the third one since it clearly displayed the different parts and their function.

Still, the tree idea is 'logical' and can be pushed quite a bit, so go for it.

Old 03 March 2004   #13
wachstum, thanks for the suggestion. I was planning on adding leaves but I wanted to try and see if I can take a different approch and perhaps design a substitute for them.

What I really need to do is find more time for this challenge, I'm working on my thesis right now, so until April 15th I have hardly anytime.

Old 03 March 2004   #14
Your drawing gave me a thought. What if you played on the idea of the tree of life or it could be the tree of knowledge from the Bible kept alive after all this time by mechanical means. There's also some great trees in Norse, Greek and Celtic mythologies.

Nice start, just some thoughts I had.

David

Old 03 March 2004   #15
Haven! I just heard a bunch of bells going off in my head after reading your suggestion. I'm definatly going to look into it. Thanks!

share thread