LW8/DFX+ or fPrime?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2004   #1
LW8/DFX+ or fPrime?

Oh man, I'm having the hardest time deciding what to do here? I've only got about $500 and can't decide whether to order the updgrade to LW8 with the DFX+, which I want ver badly, or get fPrime, which I want just as badly. I pretty much want to make a decidsion by today, as the fPrime special ends today.

I dunno' . . . what would you guys do?

Old 03 March 2004   #2
As cool as fPrime looks, the amount of functionality you'll get from v8 upgrade and DFX+ is much greater. Unless you are talking about fPrime solving a major hitch in your workflow, I'd go the upgrade. Little contest IMHO.

Old 03 March 2004   #3
even only dfx+ sounds better. you can buy fprime at a later time...

Old 03 March 2004   #4
if u ask me FPRIME definatly .. since i am usin afx long long time no need for dfx can i return my dfx to newtek and replace for fprime 2nd licence

Old 03 March 2004   #5
I would say LW8/DFX+ no question. You can buy FPrime later and its only another $120. DFX+ alone is worth a lot more than that by itself...plus I think the overall features you will get with LW8 and DFX+ are a lot more useful than FPrime.

Old 03 March 2004   #6
No question LW8/DFX+ I ordered both ... but the benifits of getting 8 plus DFX+ outway FPRIME.
Really for me DFX+ Tips the scale .. also getting 8 plus DFX+ at a later time outway the price increase you would incur getting FPrime at a later time.

Old 03 March 2004   #7
I'd say LW 8/DFX+. DFX+ is worth more than FPrime (money wise) and I personally would rather have LightWave 8 and no FPrime, than FPrime and no LightWave 8. You get much more from LW 8.

Just my opinion.

Inspiration sources : http://www.louisfabien.fr - paintings

Old 03 March 2004   #8
I think LW8/DFX+ should be your first buy. DFX+ is great and worth loads more than what you are paying in the special deal.

Get your credit card limit or overdraft increased and get FPrime too.

Old 03 March 2004   #9
My personal advice in this case is: wait. fprime hasn't been used too much so far and maybe a few issues will be solved in the future maybe not. Lw8 isn't even out yet, let Nt release it, dload the demo, try it and decide what you need more. If you need to make your decision today well... If you're satisfied with Lw7,5 capabilities and need some render speed get fprime, if you think Lw8 new features can help your work get Lw8. Quite simple actually

Old 03 March 2004   #10
If I was in the same boat as you I would go for F-Prime for sure. I am going to wait until 8 has been out awhile any and most likely wait until 8.5 given 7 wasnt all it should have been until 7.5

With the current schedule of 8 Im sure you'lll have enough time to save for the upgrade when 8.5 is released.

All this moot of course if you really want DFX+. Again I personally dont want DFX+. I am happy with my current comp programs, so the DFX+ isnt really that big of a carrot for me to jump at.

Old 03 March 2004   #11
Normaly I would agree with ThirdEye, but the bundle of LW8 upgrade +DFX expires this sunday. Check the newtek website the deal is over 3/21/04 Seeing that this is the case you may not be able to wait very long to get DFX. I am actually using it right now to comp flames onto a truck, I think it's a nice program especially since I didn't have a true compositing app before.

something to think about.

Old 03 March 2004   #12
IF you can...

Find the other $300 and do them both. As much as fprime is 'new' to us it's a quite mature piece of code, one imagines. [8] will have the opened SDK, from the git-go I'd wager, for fprime to take advantage of. Fprime already has a buffered, enriched output (an hdr file) so more buffers is soon to follow for enhanced dfx work.

Truly, you have a dilemma to overcome. You can't go wrong, though, so that ought to be consoling.

Good luck!

Old 03 March 2004   #13
This is a no-brainer.

Take the $500, buy Poser and party with the rest of it.

Silly! Like others have said, LW & DXF+ is the way to go!

Listen: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Old 03 March 2004   #14
It's a tough call.

My only question would be the following:

What is your main focus with 3D...are you an animator, a vfx artist, print artist, or student learning to do all of these?

Old 03 March 2004   #15
Quote: Originally posted by policarpo
It's a tough call.

My only question would be the following:

What is your main focus with 3D...are you an animator, a vfx artist, print artist, or student learning to do all of these?

That was exactly what I was going to ask!

I think if you do mainly print work (AKA stills) then FPrime might be all you need.

I however do a lot of video work and some animation- and having a comp program for next to FREE with 8 is going to be great. Most of my renders are low rez (720X480) so render speed isn't as important to me as it would be to some. I use DFX+ almost every other day.

BUT- I bought FPrime to help me comp my renders onto photo plates...

Thread Closed share thread