Game Art Comp 6:Akihiro Tomikawa (Daigoro)/Shogun Assassin

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2004
Game Art Comp 6:Akihiro Tomikawa (Daigoro)/Lone Wolf and Cub

I'm in! This little guy starred in all the Lone Wolf and Cub (Baby Cart) movies as Daigoro. A kid who could fairly comfortably say "my dad's tougher than your dad". I'll post a WIP in a few days...

daigoro01
daigoro02

Last edited by obelisk : 03 March 2004 at 12:14 AM.

03 March 2004
daigoro03
daigoro04

03 March 2004
Here's my progress so far. 1400 tris here. I know that's a lot for the head, but my plans for the clothing is pretty low poly structural (see the image of his dad below). If anyone has any optimisation suggestions re polycount, i'd be happy to hear them. meantime, i'm not sure how best to go about smoothing the geometry down. i'm guessing subpatches are out of the question in this forum.

any c and c would be great...

BTW: using lightwave 7.5

03 March 2004
looking good so far, but i think you should make his cheeks thicker, maybe its just the angle or the face he's makeing but the cheels should be a bit thicker IMO

03 March 2004
I agree, the boy in the image looks much younger than the model, which has the definition of a teenager instead of the chubby cheaks of the toddler.

03 March 2004
thanks buck and lord dubu. i agree, but i've been kind of kidding myself about it. i'll get back in there and chubby him up. looks like daigoro's long lost older brother at the moment.

here's a tech question. should hair be part of the continuous head mesh, or can you build hair seperately, and have it cutting into the head model?

03 March 2004
There's a great sticky in the game-art forum that addresses this and many other game model questions. But the short answer is, model the model as one seemless object.

03 March 2004
Is that model seen from the front viewport? If so he's got a real freaky forehead going. To tall and to wide.

The nose is to big as well and the eyebrow is perfectly straight. It should curve along the eye socket.

Surpising choice. Its the only kid in the comp I would reccon. Keep up the good work.

03 March 2004
that's the perspective port (with quite a lot of perspective). i'll mess around with other angles next post.

guess i chose him because kids are hard. especially kids this young. their features are less defined and obvious, so making them recognisable is a bigger challenge IMO.

thanks

03 March 2004
here's an update. fringe added (will be alpha textured), and chubbied up a bit (although i suspect it's still not quite enough). any crits greatly appreciated.

03 March 2004
no replies? i could use some help here...

meantime, here's a first test on the head UVs. textures have a long way to go, but i'm workin' over here.

smoothing still a problem. these renders are sub patched. as i understand it this is a no no in game modelling, but what's the alternative? i'm suing lightwave, and despite trying heaps of different degrees of smoothing, i'm still getting heaps of ugly edges. my geometry seems ok to me, but everyone else seems to be getting far smoother results. what am i doing wrong?

03 March 2004
small update with improved texture mapping...

any crits would be great.

03 March 2004
Hallo obelisk, you've got a great form to play with there! The overall mesh form is great and you can play alot with it, even add expression. There are some things to be improved though.

Try building up some more volume to his cheeks, mainly on the level of the nose and mouth in order to look more roundish. I would also made the mouth smaller to make cheeks look even bigger.
On the nose I believe that's missing some definition on the nostrils, maybe giving some height on the nose will help on that.
Also the eyes look bigger and wider than your reference's.

The texture needs lots of work to be completed though, and it looks kind of yellowish as it is (maybe it's the light)

Keep it up!! : )

03 March 2004
thanks terraarc,

all good and true crits. i'm on it. far as expressions go, i was thinking something like this...

which only serves to reinforce the geometry crits you've levelled.

appreciate your help (how's obelix going -- obviously obelisk would be keen to know)

cheers

03 March 2004
I don't think you should be smoothing out your mesh. Thats bad practise in my opinion. I think your lo poly mesh is just perfectly fine. I think the difference you are seeing in the others is the fact that they are using self illumination in the material. So When they put the texture in there, its not nearly as affected by the light. Thus you don't see "weird edges".

Give some self-illumination or constant materials a try...don't smooth tho...bad bad bad....hehe.

Thread Closed share thread