Antique Civilization

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2004
Antique Civilization ::MATTE PAINTING::

hey there, here I am now showing my latest matte painting, some of the pyramids where actually modeled in 3d , all the matte painting was done in photoshop then I did a little pan in after effects that I will add later, this is actually a mixed civilization , I took some pyramids from different old cities and I came up whit this one, let me know what you think. this is for a feature film project we have in our studio

Last edited by JJASSO : 03 March 2004 at 01:48 AM.

03 March 2004
Wowza. Gorgeous atmosphere

-- Groucho Marx --

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=221872

03 March 2004
Feature flick, huh? ... I'm guessing it's for "ALIENS vs. PREDATOR", am I right?

A few things I'm noticing about this:
  • The values seem to be all over the place... fr'instance, that center building's tower is too light. The only thing that could account for those areas being so washed out would be atmosphere... But, that atmosphere would also be affecting anything that's supposed to be further away, and it's not, so that looks all wrong.
  • The lighting isn't consistent, either... The only light-source is the moon, and the shadows and highlights just don't match up -- either with the moon, or with each other.
  • The stars shouldn't be visible where they are... You have them shining brightly through areas that are supposed to be cloud mass (the dark areas of the clouds are where they are actually thicker).
  • There are elements in the foreground that just look too crisp, too sharp-edged.
  • The colours don't make sense to me... I don't think they'd be darker and closer in hue... again, it's critical to establish the light sources, and then abide by them.
  • Lighting lighting lighting! The hills look like daylight shots. Particularly the nearer one... and that one's too much in focus.

I don't mean to be harsh, but this pic's got a long way to go before it works at a postcard size, much less the huge-scale of the cinema.
My METAL BUG o1 THREAD

THE SOUL IS DYED THE COLOUR OF ITS THOUGHTS

Last edited by William b. Hand : 03 March 2004 at 10:32 PM.

03 March 2004
hey nop this is not for alien vs predator I WHISH , the stars are in the clear area of the sky it's maybe because the shape of the clouds above the moon tha makes 'em look in the cloud area and the lighting it's based on photography I mean it is impossible that the pyramids looks like that whit just the light coming from the moon , just see some other matte paintings or night shoots there are a lot on lighting in the scenes it's just to make the objects clearer , well this is just my style each one has his own , and thanks for you feedback guys

03 March 2004
This is quite beautiful. I think it should be front page. Anyone else?

03 March 2004
well here's my feed back! good job

my only crit is the clouds. same as william... at first glance the stars do seem like it's in a clouded area.

Steampunk Myths n Legends

03 March 2004
hey guys there you go again , I paint out the stars in front of the sky and I put down the highlights intensity , and of course I added a little more blue to the whole scene ,what do you think

03 March 2004
that's better!! but I have the impression that the trees with before plan still miss a little blue? (it's my opinion)
besides that it is always incredible this kind of work!

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

share thread