character: Girl at bus stop

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2004
character: Girl at bus stop

Hello,
here is my latest personal project. It started just as a shader test, but I had to add a scene and finish it.
All done in Cinema 4D v8.5 and Bodypaint 3D.
Please give me your C&C.

(Edit: I removed all old images and replaced them with the updated version. Thank you all very much for your comments and critics. I still have to fix some minor things, but I think it looks much better now because of your input.)

Vreel 3D Entertainment
http://www.vreel-3d.de

Latest WIP:
Character WIP: Dania

Last edited by A.v.K. : 03 March 2004 at 05:37 PM.

03 March 2004
I know that feeling, you start out with a shader test and end up with a 20 minute animation

It's a very nice looking image well modelled and assembled, the scene seams to be seriously lacking some shadow detail at the moment though.

Which shaders were you testing?

03 March 2004
great texture work
more shadows plz

03 March 2004
Thanks a lot for your comments so far!
I rendered it in 2 passes, one for the background and one for the girl. I lightened up and desaturated the colors in photoshop to get a more fall season like appearance. Maybe I desaturated and brightened too much :-)
Here is the original version as it comes out of Cinema 4D. Better?

(Edit: Image removed for faster loading)

Vreel 3D Entertainment

Latest WIP:

Last edited by A.v.K. : 03 March 2004 at 05:38 PM.

03 March 2004
Sorry Frank, forgot to answer that shader question. I wrote some shaders for the skin and a plugin for the hair (my own type of SweepNURBS objects, if you are familiar with Cinema). Using Shave wasn't an option the time I modeled the girl as it was too slow and the AA wasn't as crisp as I wanted it to be. The new Shave version looks much better now, but I'm too happy with the hair as it looks like now to make it all over again ;-)
If you all still think the scene misses some shadows I'll have to rework the light setup. Please keep the C&Cs coming!

Vreel 3D Entertainment

Latest WIP:

03 March 2004
Good Modelling and texturing, bad lighting and composition. Try adding a direct light to cast some proper shadows; it all seems fairly flat and doesn't show off your impressive modelling and texturing skills.

03 March 2004
Thanks KnickKnack,
I'll have a serious look at it and post some updates asap.

Vreel 3D Entertainment

Latest WIP:

03 March 2004
Cool! Writing your own hair plugin. I think the lighting looks fine, for the environment. Her face is over lit though. One thing that bothers me is the eyes. She looks drugged. I have to say the leaves and grass look real. And of course the hair is, Fantastic!

struve

03 March 2004
Thanks struve.
I just wanted her to look like being sunken in thoughts (not drugs) while waiting for the next bus. Seems I missed that mark :-(
Could be that the specularity of her eyes is set too high. I'll have to re-check that with the new light setup later.

Btw. I just reduced the amount of ambient- and GI-lighting and strengthened the shadows (see new image within this post. No depth blur applied). I hope you all like this lighting more so I can apply it to the girl, too (she takes much longer to render, so I want to be sure about your thoughts first). Please let me know what you think about this change. Thanks again for your valuable feedback!

(Edit: Image removed for faster loading.)

Vreel 3D Entertainment

Latest WIP:

Last edited by A.v.K. : 03 March 2004 at 05:39 PM.

03 March 2004
That graffiti is almost impossible....I mean....It's too small to have so much details...you really need a thin spray-cap to make lines and fills like that.
there are such things as skinny-caps, but I doubt the can get soo skinny.
I know this is a bit nitpicky...but I was an graffiti-artist a couple of years ago so I couldn't help notice.

The rest of the textures are great!

03 March 2004
hey Arndt i actually prefer the pastel colour feel to the first image you posted...if it were me i'd extend or exagerate it even more...maybe that wasn't the intension but like the unusual look it has...no crits though bud...

(shaders...huh...hope i don't need to get my wallet ready...heh heh)

Henry Moore

03 March 2004
This is my -very- first attempt for giving CCs so I might not be very good at it. I like the scene so I make a try. OK?.

So.
1- The basic idea is that she is "into" herself. The fact that she is the only character in the scene makes for a relationship between her and the viewer(us). So then she is not really alone. I am, as a viewer, there as well. I suggest putting a man sitting on the bench looking the other way (back in the scene) as well as someone pretty close behind her on the right side. Then she would be "alone" by herself and we are not "staring" at her.

2- The background on the second render ("Straight out of cinema)" looks darn good. My points would be: Have -some- sort of light, maybe the sun, shine at a part of the tree in the background from left, casting shadows on the busshouse as well(from something on the other side of the street).
That will bring in depth and a feeling of life away from her, I think. The only material looking strange is the glass of the busshouse and the clean upper part of the wall(no green dirt as it has in the lower part).

3- The "camera" seems very strange. I would suggest using the "Tiltcamera" so there is no fisheye distorsion. I think that would make the background more "calm" and "common" and add natural depth..
The "fisheye" might be the reason why her head looks to big, as well.

4- Put the trash as close as you can to the camera as a foreground object (To be slightly blurred). Put some trash in it.

5- The girl need to have some sort of light comming from the right to "cut her out" in the scene and have her own right side(our left) darkened to make contrast.

Cheers and sorry if I dont make sense.....

Lennart

03 March 2004
I like the way her geans are done.

03 March 2004
Quote: 3- The "camera" seems very strange. I would suggest using the "Tiltcamera" so there is no fisheye distorsion. I think that would make the background more "calm" and "common" and add natural depth..
The "fisheye" might be the reason why her head looks to big, as well.

I agree with this. There is no reason/purpose of setting the camera this way.

Overall... its good

03 March 2004
Is it just me, or are her eyelids a little big??? *goes looks in mirror*

That's the one thing that disturbs me about her though, other then that, i like it very much.

share thread