USAToday: Rich media enriching PC ads

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2004
USAToday: Rich media enriching PC ads

Quote:
"Spider-Man suddenly swoops across your PC monitor to rent you a DVD movie. Click on a music video of a favorite singer and discover a way to eavesdrop on an exclusive interview.

While banner ads have become passé and pop-ups a nuisance, the use of so-called rich media ads is poised for rapid growth, industry experts say. Rich media combines animation, video and sound with interactive features.

The big growth driver: 43% of PC users, or 51 million individuals, now connect to the Internet from U.S. homes via a broadband connection necessary for swift downloading of dense video and music digital files, according to Nielsen/NetRatings.

That's a large enough market to command the attention of big-name advertisers, a few of whom have begun dipping into billion-dollar advertising war chests to dabble in rich media.

"We've crossed the magic 30 million household mark," says Al Ramadan, chief marketing officer at Macromedia, which makes Web animation software.

"Advertisers can begin to see value in the medium."

The dabblers might soon become leaders. By 2008, advertisers are expected to spend $7.2 billion for online ads — 39% of it on rich media, Jupiter Research predicts. That compares with the $3.1 billion spent on online ads in 2003, with only 11% going to rich media.

The promise of the nascent medium — and the creative horizons it could open — seems irresistible, experts say.

Traditional print and TV ads target broad demographic groups, yet deliver no direct response. Rich media could reinforce print and TV ads by repurposing photos, video and music from those campaigns for online ads. Web ads can target specific groups known to visit certain Web sites.

What's more, rich media can deliver instant, detailed feedback, ranging from how many seconds PC users spend viewing an ad to what they click to next. It could entice users to submit demographic data in real time, by filling out a form, or even make an online purchase.

A recent survey by DoubleClick, which distributes online ads, found rich media generates substantially greater brand recognition and higher sales activity than static online ads"

>>Link<<

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

02 February 2004
Man, I hate RM ads more than pop-ups, damn things sit right on your webpage and won't go away until you click on them. I can't be the only person in the world who deliberately avoids a brand if they annoy me in some way.

regards, Paul

02 February 2004
You're not the only one! Here's number two. The theory though is that after the campaign ends, we're stuck with the name in our heads while the specific offening ad fades away. :/ It's probably true too. Blast it all! I hate rm ads. RM-Ad Killer, where are you?!?

02 February 2004
I hate them as much as I hate the old skool popups. With these monsters its even harder to find the button to stop the mayhem.

02 February 2004
It's the worst when they play music or some other sort of annoying audio. Especially if you don't know where it's coming from.

odubtaig, I also try to avoid products and web pages with annoying advertizing. If a company can't get my attention without annoying me, then they probably don't offer anything I want.

02 February 2004
what really bugs me is when Instant Messenger starts talking!

02 February 2004
Yep, another RM hater here.

A few of my fav sites started using RM ads as opposed to pop-ups or banners, I simply stopped going there, to aggravating.

-Kol.

02 February 2004
Any webpage with out of control pop-ups or RM is not worth visiting in my book, they get blacklisted with a quickness.

For my fellow pop up haters, try firefox, built in pop-up blocking and tabbed browsing.

http://www.mozilla.org/

02 February 2004
RM ads are the worst things. I sometimes have my music turned up, and when these ads appear, they fry my speakers. I don't like the fact that we're not given a choice whether we want to see the ads or not. They load up and play without you expecting, and gets in the way. At least with banners and TV commercials, you can ignore them.

02 February 2004
Yeah, advertising is getting out of control, I hope it never gets to the point as you see in Minority Report, where Tom Cruise is walking through the mall and all the ads are talking to him, although it appears things are headed that way. There should be a band of hackers who take down all the overly obnoxious/invasive spam and pop-ups at their source, the spam avengers...nice fantasy eh fellas?

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread