Desert building ( noob's first post! )

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2004   #1
Desert building ( noob's first post! )

Hey everyone! I don't know how you guys deal with noob's here, so i'd really like to hear.

I mean, at the top of the forum it says, "Digital Visual Effects Proffesionals", and I am definatly not a proffesional.

So if I should be asking for crits elsewhere, i'd really appreciate it if you guys/girls showed me where. ^_^;

OK! Now that i've gotten that out of the way... I created my first finished peice of 3d art, and i'd liek some feedback and tips to improve it, so, without further hesitation:

Oh, and i'm aware that the clouds are kind of bad. I'm too lazy to find a better photo at the moment, so, don't bother pointing that out.

Thanks!
-BuddytheRat

Old 02 February 2004   #2
not bad for the 1st time

you could improve on:
Lighting (seriously)
textures: you should really make em but since your a noob go here and peep the free textures at 3dlinks.com
Stay away from planes and boxes to putbackground textures on use spheres instead.
oh and play with the particle system a bit you'd be surprized what you can do with sand if you play with it enough

Old 02 February 2004   #3
First off, welcome to CGtalk.

For your first work, it's a good start.

Let me address some point that I feel will help you in your future works.

1. You models lack any specific detail. This also goes for your textures/shaders. This is even more pronounced as you used a photo as a background. If your piece is not photo-real, don't ever use a photo for a sky. Either hand paint it, or use procedurals.

2. Your lighting is flat. That is, it lacks some key components that make for a good lighting setup. For one, your scene is too uniformly lit. Almost everythin is of the same diffuse intensity. Remember that light serves many uses in a CG scene. It creates draws out volume and contour in models, illuminates the subject, and contributes to the mood of the piece.

3. Your enviroment lacks atmosphere, depth, and scale. I would adjust your FOV to offer a more accurate view of the landscape. Also, adding some sort of fog effect could help to establish depth.

Remember that the key to any quality piece of art is observation. Look at as many photos of your subject as possible, and really study what is going on. Ask questions, and then try to figure out how to reproduce these things in your work.

Above all, keep at it. You will only get better with practice, dedication, and alot of hard work.

Thanks for sharing this with us, and remember to keep it so you can see how far you have come in a few months and even years.

-3DZ

Old 01 January 2006   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

share thread