Creating a blinking joint

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2004
Creating a blinking joint

Well I just got done reading "Stop Staring" and one thing has got me thinking. Theres a chapter about rigging and weighing the head with joints. He creates three joints for the eye. One for the eye and one for the lower and upper eyelid. I started thinking do you need to create a joint for the eyelids? Couldn't you just create two shapes for blinking eyelids up/eyelids down instead of using joints?

Dave

02 February 2004
yes you can. i would use more than two shapes on the eyelid and use the "inbetween" option. also, as an alternative, you can use influence curves or several to move the eyelid. i use this method and happen to like it better than blendshapes.

Yanky

02 February 2004
I like blendshapes, because you can override any other blendshape deformations by using the "exclusive" option (under advanced tab) and be sure that your lids are closed, and not penitrating each other, even if you have a huge squinting blendshape cranked up... or a supprise, with eyes open...

.j

03 March 2004
The reason I chose to do the eyelids with joint instead of blends is that the book is about teaching, more than doing.

On the head from the book (my ugly mug) a blendshape would have been pretty good overall, BUT, then let's say, you went and tried to rig a character like my latest guy:

and all of a sudden you need an inbetween, or TWO inbetween shapes to get the thing to blink right without the eyelid caving through his eyeball. I was trying to go with "better safe than sorry" with the instruction, and I tried really hard not to do too much "branching" in the instruction, not too many exceptions to rules. That would have made a lot of things, but the setup scripts -in particular- more breakable.

9 times out of 10, bones yield better results for eyelids due to the nature of a motion needing to go over a curved surface. Blends are linear, and, while they can be made to work, they're MORE work than just using things that rotate to cover a round surface.

Hope that helps! -J.

03 March 2004
you have to love this board.......

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread