CNN:Xbox for $99? Xbox2 in 05?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2004   #1
CNN:Xbox for $99? Xbox2 in 05?

Quote:
"For the past two years, Microsoft has established a reputation as a follower in the video game war. When Sony acted, Microsoft reacted especially when it came to price cuts. Things could be about to change.

Microsoft's Xbox may be on the verge of a substantial price cut, falling from $179 to $99 by Labor Day, according to P.J. McNealy, an analyst with American Technology Research.

"It is our belief that the price on the consoles in North America could see a stepped drop this year, with both the PS2 and Xbox being cut to $129 between now and the May E3 trade show, with

[Microsoft] then cutting the Xbox further to $99 in the late summer," he wrote in a research note released Wednesday.

McNealy also believes Microsoft will launch its next generation console in late 2005 a year earlier than has been previously rumored. That would put the Xbox 2 on store shelves up to a full year before Sony's PlayStation 3. "

>>Link<<
-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 02 February 2004   #2
$ 99 seems like a bargain, looks like were heading towards another price war. Which is good for us!

With those pricecuts they better sell a lot of games in order to make up for the losses.

xbox2 in 05? Hmm seems really early. When it does arrive, I hope it will be with perfect dark 2.

Old 02 February 2004   #3
yah if that the case i might finialy grab one, see how it is compared to the ps2

Old 02 February 2004   #4
Well, you'll probably won't get that Xbox for $99 in Holland.
I guess it will be around 159 Euros. Like almost twice as expensive.

Damn those price differences.

Old 02 February 2004   #5
Quote: Originally posted by parallax
Well, you'll probably won't get that Xbox for $99 in Holland.
I guess it will be around 159 Euros. Like almost twice as expensive.

Damn those price differences.

You actually have it backwards in terms of who gets screwed.

The price would be cheaper than 99$ in Euros since the dollar is weak against the euro right now.

European exports are taking a hammering because over here they are selling against a weaker dollar, and European companies have been cautious in raisng prices over here for fear of even less sales.

Otherwise, great news for me if it comes to pass, I can buy an extra box and mod the hell out of it.

Old 02 February 2004   #6
I just paid $199 for a new ps2 online bundle package (ps2 plus game and network adapter), but when ps3 comes out, i'll just take it back and only pay the difference...sweet deal

Old 02 February 2004   #7
In my entire history of computer use I have purchased 1 software title from M$. (IE was free doesn't count) I bought Halo for the Mac, and thought it was great. That is my one title. I'll buy a $99.00 XBOX no problems, no regrets. Bring it on.

Old 02 February 2004   #8
Quote: Originally posted by cgman27
You actually have it backwards in terms of who gets screwed.

The price would be cheaper than 99$ in Euros since the dollar is weak against the euro right now.

European exports are taking a hammering because over here they are selling against a weaker dollar, and European companies have been cautious in raisng prices over here for fear of even less sales.

Otherwise, great news for me if it comes to pass, I can buy an extra box and mod the hell out of it.

Actually, it won't.
I'm just guessing what the probable price will, considering previous price cuts. In no way will it be sold for 77 Euros. There will not be a simple conversion, it will just be more expensive.
With a reduction of about 45%, the price for the XboX in The Netherlands will be about 110 Euros.
Thats about $142.

Massive price difference.

Last edited by parallax : 02 February 2004 at 08:06 PM.

Old 02 February 2004   #9
maybe halo 2 will be out by then

Old 02 February 2004   #10
is it true that the new xbox will have a g5 processor?
Not sure but I heard the news going around and wanted to know if its true.

Old 02 February 2004   #11
Quote: Originally posted by barto9
maybe halo 2 will be out by then

Old 02 February 2004   #12
latest I've heard from EB is September

Old 02 February 2004   #13
Quote: McNealy also believes Microsoft will launch its next generation console in late 2005 a year earlier than has been previously rumored. That would put the Xbox 2 on store shelves up to a full year before Sony's PlayStation 3. "

oh yeah, that strategy has ALREADY worked wonders for Sega's console career. Come up with a product thats technologically superior in every way....to the current gen of consoles. And then get reemed when everyone else comes out with cheaper, better technology.
www.analoggshokk.com

Old 01 January 2006   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread