Cool!! Another blenderhead!

Welcome to the house

Old 02-08-2004, 06:06 PM   #3
dreamsgate
Frequenter

Sandra Gilbert
Graphic Designer
USA

Welcome, pull up a seat and stay awhile.

Wanna a cup of coffee?

Old 02-08-2004, 08:53 PM   #4
iluvblender
student

Send a message via AIM to iluvblender Send a message via Yahoo to iluvblender
Quote:
Originally posted by dreamsgate
Welcome, pull up a seat and stay awhile.

Wanna a cup of coffee?

Henry Miller.

Old 02-09-2004, 01:06 PM   #5
BgDM
blenderhead

portfolio
Derek Marsh
Sales
Canada

BgDM

Old 02-09-2004, 10:50 PM   #6
akalegolas
Veteran
portfolio
Danny Gardner Gardner
Kansas City, United States

Send a message via AIM to akalegolas
I think the Blender 3d section is pretty much dead. There are VERY few posts here. Too bad. Blender is an awesome program.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:52 PM   #7
akalegolas
Veteran
portfolio
Danny Gardner Gardner
Kansas City, United States

Send a message via AIM to akalegolas
Oh, by the way, welcome to the forums.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:09 AM   #8
djcapelis
D.J. Capelis
USA

Send a message via AIM to djcapelis Send a message via Yahoo to djcapelis
As someone else pointed out, the blender people are here... @ndy for example... he's just off making things that hit the front page or go into the galleries.

Then of course there is Elysium which is... well huge, and you don't really need cgtalk with Elysium... but still, it would be nice if a few more blenderheads were to hang out here as well.

Old 02-25-2004, 03:56 PM   #9
Ran13
Frequenter
Randy Fugate
USA

There would probably be a lot more blender users if everyone with an ATI Radeon grafx card wasn't excluded from the party.

Blame it on ATI's OGL drivers...blame it on blenders odd usage of OGL for the GUI...BAH!

Blame is for God and little children, taking action to get the job done is what ADULTS do.

Do I expect ATI to fix it? I ain't holdin' my breath...blender isn't even a blip on the ATI radar screen.

Do I expect the Blender Foundation to offer a workaround? Not likely..they're too busy blaming ATI's drivers (which, of course work for every other 3D app I have, including Wings which uses some of the same 2D OGL calls for it's GUI that blender does...and despite the fact that ATI contributes mightily to the OGL ARB and have a major say in the apps that determine conformance to the OGL spec of a given OGL implementation).

[edit]quote from http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_r...ngl_archit.html

"The OpenGL 2.0 working group will be chaired by ATI Technologies, and includes a majority of the ARB members and numerous ARB participants."

quote from http://www.opengl.org/about/arb/faq.html

"What are the conformance tests?

The conformance tests are a suite of programs which judge the success of an OpenGL implementation. Each implementor is required to run these tests and pass them in order to call their implementation with the registered trademark OpenGL. Passing the conformance tests ensures source code compatibility of applications across all OpenGL implementations."[/edit]

I've done all I CAN do as an artist, not a programmer. I informed both parties of the problem (as have MANY others), but see no resolution in sight. The problem dates back over 2 years now.

If the Blender Foundation can't offer a workaround so their app can be used with newer ATI (Radeon) vid cards, they should tell people up front that Blender does not function with ATI Radeons and save us all the time and trouble of even downloading it in the first place. Nor do I see any effort on the part of the Blender Foundation to rattle any cages over at ATI to find a resolution.

Last edited by Ran13 : 02-25-2004 at 04:32 PM.

Old 02-25-2004, 08:59 PM   #10
restlesscheese
Veteran

portfolio
Meredith Ross
Video Editor
USA

Send a message via Yahoo to restlesscheese
greetings to you!

Old 02-26-2004, 07:07 AM   #11
Zenitor
Frequenter

portfolio
Rob Moore
Auckland, New Zealand

hi.....

Old 02-26-2004, 08:56 AM   #12
artificial3D
overly triangulated

portfolio
Andreas Goralczyk
Shading Monkey / Art Director
Germany

Send a message via ICQ to artificial3D Send a message via MSN to artificial3D
hi satish, glad to see you on cgtalk

Quote:
Originally posted by Ran13
There would probably be a lot more blender users if everyone with an ATI Radeon grafx card wasn't excluded from the party.

hey, i'm using a new and shiny radeon, and it's awesome together with blender

djcapelis: bah! no way

.andy

Old 02-26-2004, 12:42 PM   #13
StephanD
Big CGTalker

Stéphane Daniel
Québec, Canada

Two systems here...

The one I use Blender with HAS a Radeon from ATI ...Of course I prefer the one with the 3DLabs VX1 though

Being a serious artist,I think the material I use with my tools is quite important and if they do not fit well together,I just replace one of them,end of story.

Peace

Old 02-26-2004, 05:18 PM   #14
Ran13
Frequenter
Randy Fugate
USA

Would you care to share anything special you had to do to get blender running with your Radeons?

Elysium (sp?) and blender.org forums, including the bug tracker is peppered with this interface slowdown problem with ATI cards.

Also, the idea of going out and spending another couple hundred dollars on another video card to run a FREE app is ludicrous. Especially when everything else is runnin' just spiffy. (MayaPLE, gmax, Animation:Master, Lightwave DE, Lightwave 5, 3dsmax 3, Milkshape, Wings, etc, etc.) To imply that I'm not a serious artist because I won't spend good money to run blender is a bit insulting.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but really, there WOULD be more users here if ATI/Blender would play well together, and anyone taking a cursory look at the various blender user forums out there can easily see that they do not. As with most things in the computer world, it may be a combination of several different things (like my dual AMD CPU system and multiple monitors), but the common thread in all the message dealing with the interface slowing to a crawl after a period of time all have one thing in common...ATI Radeon.

http://projects.blender.org/tracker...p_id=9&atid=231

http://projects.blender.org/tracker...p_id=9&atid=231

System specs:
Tyan K7 Thunder mobo
Dual AMD 1.2GHz Palaminos
512MB 266Mhz DDR RAM, ECC, registered
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128Mb
ATI Catalyst v4.2 drivers
Dual 17" Sony GS220 monitors
Win2000Pro SP4

Last edited by Ran13 : 02-26-2004 at 06:08 PM.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:57 PM   #15
StephanD
Big CGTalker

Stéphane Daniel
Québec, Canada

Sorry if that insults/insulted you but my view in front of most problems is to remedy it whenever or however I can...

That said,I bought my Radeon for 25US$(was actually for the machine I sat up for my GF),it's rather cheap and always good to have a "backup card"...

I also have a GeForce3,still in it's box which I paid only 55US$ so really it only cost me around 80 bucks to get the best of ATi,NVidia and GlinT chips...

I didn't have to do anything special nor install Webdrivers to get Blender to work the way it does,no menu slowdown,and it's the crappiest machine of both(P3-450mhz+really crap config+Dsl etc..)

Thread Closed share thread