Side FX teases "Houdini Indie"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2014   #1
Side FX teases "Houdini Indie"

Not much details yet till siggraph but:

https://twitter.com/sidefx/status/4...0368001/photo/1

Very curious to see what the price point and features will be.

edit: More info:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opt...=244&Itemid=399

Last edited by SheepFactory : 08 August 2014 at 05:31 PM.

Old 08 August 2014   #2
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Not much details yet till siggraph but:

https://twitter.com/sidefx/status/4...0368001/photo/1

Very curious to see what the price point and features will be.

I'm guessing that it'll be Houdini but without Mantra or OpenVDB support, and maybe some limits placed on number of assets and/or polygon count?

Old 08 August 2014   #3
I really hope they don't limit it to games only features, but I agree - that seems most likely. I was really hoping for a price drop to finally get on board with Houdini primary 3d tool for my studio, now that Softimage is dead.

Old 08 August 2014   #4
I wish it could be just a license thing and not a feature set thing, this will allow small studios and freelancers to acquire and use Houdini, right now is too expensive and it can't be the main app, as maya or max, in a wide open workflow that has to face many type of projects.

Cheers.

Last edited by CerberusC : 08 August 2014 at 09:24 AM.

Old 08 August 2014   #5
Originally Posted by CerberusC: I wish it could be just a license things and not a feature set thing, this will allow small studios and freelancers to acquire and use Houdini, right now is too much expensive and it can't be the main app, as maya or max, in a wide open workflow that has face any type of projects.

Amen to this !

Old 08 August 2014   #6
If they were (which they aren't) to reintroduce the perpetual Apprentice HD license, I would be willing to fork out some additional cash for that (say a couple of hundred dollars). The current 12-month program doesn't work for me on matter of principle.

Old 08 August 2014   #7
The biggest braking point for individuals is the very expensive subscription cost. 4500$ for Houdini is big money but the tool deserve the investment, but having to pay 2500$ per year to be on subscription is not an option imo ... maya is around 600$ (well you pay for AD update so not that much ... )

Old 08 August 2014   #8
Originally Posted by CerberusC: I wish it could be just a license thing and not a feature set thing, this will allow small studios and freelancers to acquire and use Houdini, right now is too expensive and it can't be the main app, as maya or max, in a wide open workflow that has to face many type of projects.

Cheers.

Charge more then.

Quote: The biggest braking point for individuals is the very expensive subscription cost. 4500$ for Houdini is big money but the tool deserve the investment, but having to pay 2500$ per year to be on subscription is not an option imo ... maya is around 600$ (well you pay for AD update so not that much ... )

I dont want to bash you in particular, but this nonsense annoys the hell out of me, the its too expensive bleating has to stop. What do you want the developers to be paid in peanuts maybe or aluminum bottle tops. Its frankly pathetic, If you cannot afford it clearly you are not charging enough.

b

Last edited by mr Bob : 08 August 2014 at 10:47 AM.

Old 08 August 2014   #9
Originally Posted by mr Bob: I dont want to bash you in particular, but this nonsense annoys the hell out of me, the its too expensive bleating has to stop. What do you want the developers to be paid in peanuts maybe or aluminum bottle tops. Its frankly pathetic, If you cannot afford it clearly you are not charging enough.

Well i have to disagree with you Bob from an empirical pov. Because i am in the situation where i use Houdini in companies i used to work . But as i can't afford to pay a H license i'm actually working back in Maya who offer flexible license model for my own project. (and trust me it's not a lot of fun ...)

So when you have to go from A to B , the road is definitly more confortable/safer in a BMW , but if you can't afford it you just take what you're money allow you to buy ... an Old datsun for exemple ! But in a certain way i agree that we can't complain that BMW are expensive , it's the same product but definitly not the same quality.

Last edited by SebKaine : 08 August 2014 at 11:05 AM.

Old 08 August 2014   #10
Yep, not that it's not worth its price. You really get the taste of innovation with SESI. Not some gimmicky features and addons like it's the case with ADSK.

It's just that heavy duty VFX work isn't as much worth as it used to be.

Old 08 August 2014   #11
If it was a few hundred dollars id be curious to see what all the hype is about even for a limited version

Old 08 August 2014   #12
Originally Posted by Hirazi: If they were (which they aren't) to reintroduce the perpetual Apprentice HD license, I would be willing to fork out some additional cash for that (say a couple of hundred dollars). The current 12-month program doesn't work for me on matter of principle.

+1

They bring back the perpetual license to HD, and add on limited commercial export to Unreal 4 and Unity = Houdini Indie.

Old 08 August 2014   #13
Originally Posted by SebKaine: Well i have to disagree with you Bob from an empirical pov. Because i am in the situation where i use Houdini in companies i used to work . But as i can't afford to pay a H license i'm actually working back in Maya who offer flexible license model for my own project. (and trust me it's not a lot of fun ...)

So when you have to go from A to B , the road is definitly more confortable/safer in a BMW , but if you can't afford it you just take what you're money allow you to buy ... an Old datsun for exemple ! But in a certain way i agree that we can't complain that BMW are expensive , it's the same product but definitly not the same quality.

If this is for a personal project, then wouldn't an apprentice license do the trick?

If you don't get enough freelance work in the year to justify the purchase I can understand the dilemma.

But you should try adjust your rate to account for a license + maintenance. Shouldn't be hard to justify the rate increase, think about what you offer as a Houdini artist rather than a Maya artist.

Old 08 August 2014   #14
Originally Posted by earlyworm: But you should try adjust your rate to account for a license + maintenance. Shouldn't be hard to justify the rate increase, think about what you offer as a Houdini artist rather than a Maya artist.

I agree guys , but i need a tool to prototype a project , and then if i suceed to sell the prototype i could buy the tool i want and maybe the BMW too . Now i have an apprentice HD but i'm not sure it allowed to prototype what you intend to sell. But i keep my eyes on this houdini indie , it could be the answers ...

Again i am not flaming SESI , as i am aware of the quality of their package. Houdini also come with infinite Mantra Token which mean that with 4500$ you can deploy Mantra on 100 machines for free on EC2. While this would cost you 100.000$ with arnold ...

But when you start working on small team , without any clue to suceed , it's better to start with monthly rental imo. it offer you more flexibility. And while Maya is not playing on the same level, it is still a very capable tool (fluid / nCloth ...) !

Old 08 August 2014   #15
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opt...=219&Itemid=382
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opt...=244&Itemid=399

LIMITED COMMERCIAL
Commercial usage of Houdini Indie is limited to following:
  • The annual gross revenue of commercial entities or contracting entities does not exceed $100K USD
  • Houdini Indie cannot be used in the same pipeline as commercial versions of Houdini
  • Houdini Indie uses its own file format for saving scenes and assets
  • It is restricted to 1920x1080 when rendering out animations

Last edited by stefan : 08 August 2014 at 01:40 PM.

reply share thread