Cinema 4D R16 announced

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2014   #1
Cinema 4D R16 announced

Quite a lot of new and improved stuff, Team Render Server, Bevel Deformer, Motion tracking, new Reflectance channel, Poly Pen ......

Announcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mzym-HZ9IE#t=87

http://www.maxon.net/products/new-i...6/overview.html

Also check out the introduction on Cineversity
http://c4d3d.com/1v40G9x

FRIEDRICHSDORF, Germany – August 5, 2014 – MAXON unveiled Cinema 4D Release 16 (R16), the next generation release of the company’s industry-leading 3D software. In addition to countless workflow enhancements, Cinema 4D R16 delivers powerful new features including a modeling PolyPen ‘super-tool’, a Motion Tracker for easily integrating 3D content within live footage and a Reflectance material channel for multi-layered reflections and specularity. Release 16 reinforces MAXON’s commitment to provide creative professionals with stability, performance, unmatched integration, and a straightforward interface to optimize any workflow.

See Cinema 4D R16 at SIGGRAPH 2014in Vancouver, August 12 -14, 2014, Booth #1422

Key Highlights of Release 16 include:

Animation:
Motion Tracker – Seamless integration of 3D elements into real-world footage.
Interaction Tag – Control over 3D objects and works with Tweak mode to provide information on object movement and highlighting.

Modeling:
PolyPen – Paint polygons and move, clone, cut and weld points or edges of 3D models.
Bevel Deformer – Non-destructive and animatable bevels.
Sculpting – Numerous improvements and dynamic features for precision.
Other Features – All-new Cogwheel spline primitive; Mesh Check tool; Deformer Falloff options, and cap enhancements.

Rendering:Reflectance Channel – Added control over reflections and specularity within a single new channel, with multiple layers for creating complex surfaces.

New Render Engine for Hair and Sketch – A new unified effects render engine to seamlessly raytrace Hair and Sketch lines.
Team Render Server – Enhancements including a new client-server architecture.

Performance and Workflow Features:
Cinema 4D Release 16 performance and workflow features, including a revised Content Library, support for the current versions of FBX and Alembic, a new Solo button, Annotations, a new UV Peeler and more.

Complete list of features in Cinema 4D R16

Pricing and Availability
Shipping September, 2014
Mac OS X / Windows
System requirements

Last edited by Srek : 08 August 2014 at 07:11 AM.

Old 08 August 2014   #2
looks like another solid release. i love the addition of the parametric package designer, house builder, etc.

Old 08 August 2014   #3
awesome updates. impressive

Old 08 August 2014   #4
Have the problems with Team Render been ironed out?
BiRender only speeds up Hair AND S&T renders? Normal S&T is still largely single-threaded?

Old 08 August 2014   #5
Originally Posted by SirPercival: Have the problems with Team Render been ironed out?
BiRender only speeds up Hair AND S&T renders? Normal S&T is still largely single-threaded?

There is a ton of fixes for TR in R16.
The new render engine behind Hair and S&T will benefit both, i don't know how much the threading has been improved though.

Old 08 August 2014   #6
Thumbs up

Is there a list of all new features and updates, including minor changes?

// nevermind, i found kind of..
http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/topic/83...ed/#entry575915

Last edited by automat : 08 August 2014 at 03:19 PM.

Old 08 August 2014   #7
Originally Posted by automat: Is there a list of all new features and updates, including minor changes?

Please check here
http://www.maxon.net/en/products/ge...6-features.html

Old 08 August 2014   #8
Originally Posted by Srek: There is a ton of fixes for TR in R16.
The new render engine behind Hair and S&T will benefit both, i don't know how much the threading has been improved though.

Good stuff. Bevel deformer looks very handy.

Old 08 August 2014   #9
new layering looks good, its about time to have a more modern approach. and finally anisotropics.

Old 08 August 2014   #10
Hi guys,

looks like a cool update!
One pressing question for me is this:

Will the Modular Window, Door and House Builder be available for the Cinema 4d VISUALIZE Package, or only Studio?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Old 08 August 2014   #11
"that" is an update, highlights for me are parametric package designer, house builder etc...

autodesk need to take notes..their on extremely THIN ice in my book regards "updates" these last 5 years for my 3ds max subscription.

Well done Maxon, you have my attention now.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 08 August 2014   #12
Looks like a solid release for sure. But I still am frustrated to see that certain things persist to go on.

The new reflectance channel is fantastic but by the looks of it it's not possible to control the reflection roughness with a texture. Likewise we cannot control anisotropy direction with textures too, there are preset patterns to choose from and some parameters to control them but that's all. WTF?! Also, we can't instance texture channels or maps, so we can't share data within a material or between materials having to manually update everything by hand. This can make workflow very slow and annoying for certain cases. A node material editor should solve this issue.

Area lights are still quite fake, have wrong falloff even when set to physical, with that Radius/Decay setting with doesn't exist in other softwares and I'm not sure what value to set there. Tried 1, or 100 or whatever to make it kind of neutral, but it doesn't looked right. The solution is to use meshes with luminance and check "GI Area Light" option though this kills quite a bit of flexibility like lights include/exclude, affect diffuse/reflection/refraction and have no viewport feedback.

The poly modelling tools got nice and welcome improvements with symmetry which looks great indeed, and the Pen Tool seems fantastic. But I'm afraid it's not enough. Most poly modelling tools these days have some form of loop editing which can be very useful. Things like straightening an edge loop, space, relax, adjust curvature, etc. They are super useful tools. Also a tool to make a perfect polygon is very important to make rounded holes and such. Having to make a circle and cut with a knife tool is so slow and old.

I'm not an expert in C4D but something that I particularly feel awkward is UV mapping on it. I don't know, but I can't select multiple objects and apply a single projection to all of them at once, without joining their meshes.

Anyway, sorry kinda write a wishlist/rant post but well I wanted to say it. And again the release looks great still.

Regards,
Eugenio

Old 08 August 2014   #13
Originally Posted by Eugenio: Looks like a solid release for sure. But I still am frustrated to see that certain things persist to go on.

The new reflectance channel is fantastic but by the looks of it it's not possible to control the reflection roughness with a texture.

I'm only going off the videos (not a beta tester) but I'm almost 100% sure you can. See the triangles by the 'roughness' 'specular strength' mask etc ? Click it to open up more settings including texture slot. I think pretty much every parameter in the new reflectance channel can be driven by a texture or shader.

Old 08 August 2014   #14
Originally Posted by Eugenio: The new reflectance channel is fantastic but by the looks of it it's not possible to control the reflection roughness with a texture. Likewise we cannot control anisotropy direction with textures too, there are preset patterns to choose from and some parameters to control them but that's all. WTF?!

You can drive almost all Parameters with Textures. Here is a Screen of the new Options expanded:
http://t.co/UuuD2BsBir
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

Old 08 August 2014   #15
Originally Posted by Eugenio: The new reflectance channel is fantastic but by the looks of it it's not possible to control the reflection roughness with a texture. Likewise we cannot control anisotropy direction with textures too, there are preset patterns to choose from and some parameters to control them but that's all. WTF?!

You can drive almost all Parameters with Textures. Here is a Screen of the new Options expanded:
http://t.co/UuuD2BsBir
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

reply share thread