Burning Notes, Ken McCuen (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 07 July 2014   #1
Burning Notes, Ken McCuen (2D)

Title: Burning Notes
Name: Ken McCuen
Software: Photoshop
Submitted: 22nd July 2014

Personal character concept.

Old 07 July 2014   #2
Ken McCuen

This is awesome.
Can you explain your workflow?
Was this a commission or just for fun?

Looks very nice.

Originally Posted by kenmccuen:

Title: Burning Notes
Name: Ken McCuen
Software: Photoshop
Submitted: 22nd July 2014

Personal character concept.

Old 07 July 2014   #3
Thumbs up

Nice, kind of, literal interpretation (I thought, based on the title, that it would reference figuratively burning music notes; but this is just as interesting). I like the party dress she has on (it feels like something I could find at a local department store for the summer). The blotchy color patches work well with it. I also like the contrast of the green on her face with her red, red hair. I'd recommend making the hair a tad longer next time (if that hair settles down right now, it would be really short and wouldn't fully account for rest of her head that actually hidden by our hair). Also, her right arm (the upper arm) is a tad too long). Other than that, her proportions are pretty good (nice pose overall, actually; and I really like her left hand). I also like how you did the burning edges of the notes (that glowing ember effect; it feels like she's burning poker cards almost). I also like the upward glance you got with her eyes and her face proportions and facial expressions came out pretty well. Overall, this came out pretty well, so keep for your portfolio. Keep it up. Great job.

Old 07 July 2014   #4
Thanks linainverse23!
I appreciate the comments! Thankyou.

I got the glowing effect by using a lot of soft translucent layers, and then a couple 'overlay' and 'dodge' layers placed on top with a more saturated brown/orange.

Old 07 July 2014   #5
Hi Milan,
Thanks for asking!
I started with a scratchy pen thumbnail in my sketchbook, and then did a pencil drawing on a large sheet of paper based on the thumbnail-- after that I experimented a bit with watercolors, but decided to finish digitally.
The majority of detail is digitally painted with some of the underlying texture of the pencil/watercolor still present.

This character began as something for a commission, but has since been evolving as an idea through my primarily my personal work.

Cheers,

Ken

Last edited by kenmccuen : 07 July 2014 at 02:46 PM.

Old 08 August 2014   #6
Congratulations On Winning A CGChoice Award For This Piece

Thanks for uploading this incredible project! You've won a CGChoice award, and a years' CGSConnect Membership, giving you an advertising free CGPortfolio.

Old 08 August 2014   #7
cool to know. thanks for sharing on how you got the ember effects on the cards.

Old 09 September 2014   #8
Congratulations On Winning A CGChoice Award For This Piece

Thanks for uploading this incredible piece!
You've won a CGChoice award, and a years' CGSConnect Membership giving you an advertising free CGPortfolio.

reply share thread