Rear differential working on path constraint?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2014
Rear differential working on path constraint?

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in rigging up a rear differential, so it animates correctly while driving round a corner. Ideally using and Max script expression?

Cheers

05 May 2014
Yes, http://www.penproductions.ca/techni...mxDriver02.html

Not as easy as you think is it as it needs to take a different root. In this car rig I do it the other way around. The main pivot of a car, assuming it isn't flipping over, skidding out or anything other than normal driving is between the rear wheels. So in this rig the pivot is between the rear wheels and I calculate where the front wheels should be based on direction vectors.

The trailer rig is doing what you want how ever it was a hug pain to solve correctly. Knowing the length of the wheel base and angle of change at the front you can calculate the position of the rear. I would have to open it all up to sort out what I'm doing as it was years ago that I created this.

05 May 2014
Hey Paul thanks for the reply, I've got my rig working so the rear wheels (red and blue) are moving at the correct speeds as the car goes round the bend, but the problem I'm having is setting up the right rotation speeds for the pinion gear (dark green) and differential housing gear (light green) so what ever speeds the rear wheels are spinning at the pinion and differential gear are rotating at the correct speeds

screenshot of my differential

reply share thread