These ARE the droids I'm looking for..., Joel Erkkinen (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2014   #1
These ARE the droids I'm looking for..., Joel Erkkinen (3D)

Title: These ARE the droids I'm looking for...
Name: Joel Erkkinen
Submitted: 25th April 2014

I did a series on the daily life of a storm trooper. This was my first render. There was no photoshop used. These are fully animatable scenes.

Old 04 April 2014   #2
Thumbs up Cool

Cool!Nice work

Old 04 April 2014   #3
This so made my morning! Plugged

Old 04 April 2014   #4
haha that is great

Old 04 April 2014   #5
The shading/lighting isn't the best, but the idea is brilliant.

Old 04 April 2014   #6
Love the concept! I cant wait to see more from this series

Old 04 April 2014   #7
I was going to say that I like the lighting!

What are you rendering in?

Old 04 April 2014   #8
Originally Posted by John Keates: I was going to say that I like the lighting!

What are you rendering in?

This was made in Maya and rendered using Mental Ray and linear workflow. The lighting actually could be a bit better. I made this a little while ago. I think if I rerendered it with the lighting from my "Sci Fi Bachelor Pad" it would be a bit better. Thanks for the comments and compliments!

Old 05 May 2014   #9
I could immediately tell you rendered in Mental Ray once i saw those super ugly GI blotches and noise with banding artifacts. The idea as well as lighting, models and materials are really great.

So you should look for some capable rendering solution, so that next time you do another great masterpiece, rendering solution won't be crippling technical quality of your output

Old 05 May 2014   #10
Originally Posted by musashidan: The shading/lighting isn't the best, but the idea is brilliant.

Sorry, I actually meant the GI solution(as in quality) wasn't the best. The lighting itself has a nice feel.

Although with such a wonderful idea, it's just a pity that the low-quality textures(visible repeats on the backs of the chairs) and the render settings let the rest of the image down.

Would love to see a re-render of this, as you said yourself it's an old work.

Old 05 May 2014   #11
Originally Posted by Rawalanche: I could immediately tell you rendered in Mental Ray once i saw those super ugly GI blotches and noise with banding artifacts. The idea as well as lighting, models and materials are really great.

So you should look for some capable rendering solution, so that next time you do another great masterpiece, rendering solution won't be crippling technical quality of your output

Thanks again for the comments. Like I said... I made it a while ago. I actually didn't spend much time on it as I just wanted to get the idea out. Didn't know it would have the legs it did. Things got a little better with the second "Father and Son" render. The splotches are actually from final gather rather than GI which the lay person doesn't notice so thanks for that Gizmodo featured them as one of...
17 Amazing Renders That You'll Swear Are Photographs

which is good enough for me

I have since changed our lighting formula to include Maya's userIBL in conjunction with final gather and GI. This pretty much eliminates artifacts and blotches. And I am certain of this because we use it to render client animations (and they are pretty picky). Again thanks for the kind (and some crass) words. I appreciate the care you all have for the industry. I will probably revisit the render and make a few more when/if I have time (4 year old and a newborn)

Old 05 May 2014   #12
Ok, most digital art that goes the humor route is lost on me. This one is not.

Old 05 May 2014   #13
Originally Posted by hothotweezly: Again thanks for the kind (and some crass) words.

I am sorry if you feel that way, if indeed, it's directed at me(which I assume it is) I thought receiving honest, constructive crits of our work was one of the things that made us grow as artists.It's not a personal attack on you or your submitted work,(which I really like) so please don't take it as such.

Old 05 May 2014   #14
isn't he a little short for a storm trooper?

I really like this, not cluttered, well centered and a terrific idea.

Old 05 May 2014   #15
Originally Posted by musashidan: I am sorry if you feel that way, if indeed, it's directed at me(which I assume it is) I thought receiving honest, constructive crits of our work was one of the things that made us grow as artists.It's not a personal attack on you or your submitted work,(which I really like) so please don't take it as such.

Ha. I'm not offended. I appreciate the criticism. I critique work all the time. Just phrase things differently. To me constructive criticism is just less crass... unless you are being cheeky... hard to tell from typing . But really thank you for writing. I appreciate it a great deal. It does help us all grow.

reply share thread