Issue #36 Keyframe AWESOME!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2004
Issue #36 Keyframe AWESOME!

Just got the latest Keyframe issue. I've only been subscribed to it since #35. #35 was okay but #36 rocks!

First off, congrats to Leigh for the published tutorial on skinning. It looks great and I can't wait to test it out.

Secondly, there's a fantastic article on...you guessed it...LIGHTWAVE [8]! With plenty o' screenshots galore. I quickly scanned over it not having read it in depth yet but a couple of sentences jumped out at me: one mentioned the article onle covered a fraction of the new features in [8]. And the other was the fact that starting in issue 37 Keyframe will have plenty of tutorials based on [8].

This certainly must mean LW[8] is on cusp of being released.

As a new subscriber and reader to KF I'm curious to know if it's normal for the magazine to cover reviews of competing apps? I think that's great but I was suprised to see a Maya (and a positive one at that) review in the mag.

Anyway, this issue of Keyframe is highly recommended.

Listen: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

01 January 2004
Quote: As a new subscriber and reader to KF I'm curious to know if it's normal for the magazine to cover reviews of competing apps? I think that's great but I was suprised to see a Maya (and a positive one at that) review in the mag.

Hi Signal,
Why wouldnt they not like Maya?
Is not Maya a great companion to Lightwave?
From what I am understanding of it there a great many studios that incorporate Lightwave and Maya into their pipelines.
Lightwave for poly modeling and the free render nodes are a plus and useing Maya for its animation qualitys and at this time that is Lightwaves weakness(although this may change with the updates in "8" )
Im looking forward to seeing this issue and if they are going to review other applications(due to many people not being resigned to one application only)it will only benefit their sales by catering to a wider and more professional audience.

01 January 2004
Damn, never should have let me subscription run out. Maybe I should re-subscribe.

01 January 2004
Great, now international subscribers are getting their copies. Wheres mine I saw that two page add when I was flipping through it at the bookstore on Tuesday. I thought it was interesting too. But they did make a point of shwing how they could complememnt each other with Maya Fluids. Thats one of the main reasons why I have/use Maya. The other is PaintFX

01 January 2004
I haven't got mine yet........snif
LinkedIn

01 January 2004
I haven't gotten mine yet either--glad i'm not alone.

01 January 2004
How long do the issues usually take to arrive? I just got a subscription for christmas, and I wanna make sure that i'm not going to miss this issue....

http://www.maxxwv.com

01 January 2004
How long does it take? Good question, I'm not sure. What I do know is that our mailman mixes up the mail and delivers it to neighbors all the time, at least once a week. We have all made complaints but alas we still suffer up on our hill.

01 January 2004
I have not seen this magazine. Is it worth the price of the subcription?

Cheers!
Phillip

01 January 2004
I got mine yesterday. The LW8 article by Dan Ablan doesn't shed terribly much new light on 8 - the screen shots are the same as the one's posted by Proton and exist on NT's site. So, don't feel too bad if your issue hasn't come in yet. Nevertheless, it's nice to see some of these features in print form - seems to solidify the impending release of 8.

01 January 2004
I havn't gotten mine yet either. Maybe it will be there when I get home tonight calling to me....Read Me...Read Me.... <crosses fingers>

01 January 2004
So I've got a question, is it worth the cost of a subscription? I've bought some issues I loved (like the current one) and I've bought some issues that seamed not quite there yet. It also doesn't quite feel as pro as some of the other graphics mags, I mean in the latest issue I found a couple of typos and some really bad sentence structure, does anyone proof read these? Not to be dissing on it, #36 was indeed awesome and more than worth the money, but I thought I'd get all your thoughts on it.

01 January 2004
Well... I signed up for a subscription today so I can literally say that I bet my money its good

André

01 January 2004
To me its worth it. I like reading the articles and Deuces new series is fun to follow even if he was to busy beta testing to finish one for this issue. True there are often so-so issues but overall it pans out for me.

01 January 2004
Quote: Originally posted by N2ChristTheKing
...It also doesn't quite feel as pro as some of the other graphics mags, I mean in the latest issue I found a couple of typos and some really bad sentence structure, ...

I've been feeling the same way about the overall magazine. Dan Ablan took over the editorial reins a few issues ago so I'm sure the magazine is going to go through some metamorpheses (sp.?) over the next while. I think the layout in general needs to be revamped. Especially that horrible text font! I've often wondered if I could just offer to be a proofreader as well. I notice lots of typos, text-to-picture cross reference glitches, etc. that really iritate me. "Maya Unliminted" , hehe!

But Keyframe still has good content and after only three issues that I've read feel that the subscription is worth it.

Listen: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Thread Closed share thread