reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
Tamagoo
Frequenter
portfolio
Nerijus
Reseda, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Any idea what happened to cghub?

I am reading on "isitdownrightnow" that members were refunded their membership with no explanation and it would seem that domain has expired. Was wondering if anyone might know what is happening.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

Weird! Their Twitter / Facebook outlets don't mention anything. I can't imagine them just up and shutting down like that. I think it's more likely that they've brought things down to deal with Heartbleed...

I really hope they haven't shut down though ...

Old 04-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
frabec
Explorer
--------
Germany

Maybe its down because of the heartbleed bug disaster.

Cheers
F.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

Beauty overkill.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Them refunding membership fees doesn't sound good. If it was heartbleed they would have had a notice saying so won't they? Hope they don't go down for good, it is one of the websites I frequent for inspiration. :(

Old 04-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
frabec
Explorer
--------
Germany

Im not sure who is hosting their site.
http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/hear...sites-affected/
My cghub.com bookmark gets redirected to cghug.com which is silly of course.

Cheers
F.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
BUZZFX
Freelance Artist for Hire

portfolio
Lorne McLean
Lead Concept Artist SMART Technologies
SMART Technologies
Calgary, Canada

Their recent decision to add a lot of advertising and also adding subscription pro accounts would have been an extra source of revenue they never used to have so I suspect it wasn't a money issue.

I suspect they are only down making their code more bullet-proof against other virus attacks like heartbleed. But two things stand out as being strange; 1) It is strange they wouldn't even put up a one page "splash" page telling everyone what's up. 2) It's strange how some people who had just paid their subscription fees had them refunded.

If they have shut down it would really be a sad day for artists and another blow to the CG Industry.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZFX
Their recent decision to add a lot of advertising and also adding subscription pro accounts would have been an extra source of revenue they never used to have so I suspect it wasn't a money issue.

Or they did it just because they needed money fast but maybe they did it too late...

Old 04-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

Like everybody else, I don't know what happened. However, since I have CG Chub as my home page, here was the sequence of events of events I saw.

WEDNESDAY: Everything was fine. The site looked normal. Not a problem.
THURSDAY (morning): The site's still up, but the design has been centered and tweaked with slightly smaller image thumbnails. Some large full length ads for their 2D sister site now appear on both sides of the main content frame. The links to the images aren't 100% working anymore. It's hit or miss.
THURSDAY (evening): The site layout is still there, including the new ads, but there's no content in the main frame. All of the image boxes are empty.
FRIDAY: www.cghub.com now redirects to a www.cghug.com "how you can get this domain" page.

Here are my guesses.

Best case scenario? They attempted a service upgrade that backfired and screwed their database. The redirect could've be to a domain that they once registered, but don't use. They could be cleaning up a massive mess and DB reconstruction, which is why the site's still down and there's no place holder page.

Worst case scenario? CG Hub is no more. An increase in advertisement, especially in-house, seems odd. There could've been a cash crunch because of the high traffic and users with ad blockers. Maybe they couldn't pay and their host cut them off

I don't know either way. I'm hoping that they'll be up again and that it's a site maintenance issue.

Last edited by cookepuss : 04-11-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #10
Tamagoo
Frequenter
portfolio
Nerijus

Well, one thing being strange is there is no communication from their part. Which makes me a bit uneasy, maybe even a reply here would be nice :P

Old 04-12-2014, 04:22 AM   #11
BUZZFX
Freelance Artist for Hire

portfolio
Lorne McLean
Lead Concept Artist SMART Technologies
SMART Technologies
Calgary, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamagoo
Well, one thing being strange is there is no communication from their part. Which makes me a bit uneasy, maybe even a reply here would be nice :P
Me too. You would think if it were a small issue that someone from CGHub would come on this forum and let us know whats going on, but the longer this goes on without so much as a word form them the more ominous this appears.

If (and Im speculating here) they were having some financial difficulties I would think they would have tried to reach out to their user base before just shutting their doors, but who knows. I hope this is all overblown and they will be up and running shortly.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:59 AM   #12
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

Yeah, the whole situation is just odd. Their twitter was active, as per normal, a day previous. The com blackout is really what is worrying most people. I can see them refunding subs if they don't have a timeframe for going back online.

Time will tell I suppose.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #13
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

Well on Polycount, rumour has it that the site is down for financial reasons. A poster posted the following-
Quote:

If you go here: http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/cghub.com.html

You'll see the site has been down for about 21 hours and it's listed as PARKED. Which usually means bills haven't been paid. And since their facebook site is down also, as well as their app; I'd assume Lawyers are involved.

I don't know how accurate this is nor do I know if there's any truth to it but everyone is speculating from aliens to the illuminati shutting down the site over there, so judge for yourself.

Here's their thread-
Polycount

Old 04-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #14
PhilipeaNguyen
Frequenter
portfolio
Philip E.A. Nguyen
Philadelphia, USA

This sucks...

I know people that run the site frequent these forums as well, so the fact that no one's posted anything here means they're silenced for some reason.

I hope it's not gone forever. I knew they should have developed a print magazine close to ImagineFX/3DWorld in the States. Subscribers have been able to keep those companies afloat for quite some time. It also would be nice if one or more of those magazine companies could/would help CGHub or take over the reigns since it's become like a pillar of the industry online.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #15
Tamagoo
Frequenter
portfolio
Nerijus

Well things have turned for the worse, I am not sure if this is a hoax of a facebook but it has gotten a lot of attention.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CGHUB/264398057068394

According to the link, CGHUB is done for good.

Raise a glass for a fallen friend.

Still some hope, but very slight.

Last edited by Tamagoo : 04-13-2014 at 10:28 PM.

reply share thread