New To Rigging, Rev foot, IK, Joint problems.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2014
New To Rigging, Rev foot, IK, Joint problems.

Hello all,

I'm rigging a simple human body for a school project right now and I'm having a bit of trouble with my IK's and how my joints are interacting with them.

Problems-

When I try to freeze the joint for my Knee or Hip on my right leg, it straightens the leg. However this does NOT happen when I freeze the joints on the Left side.

When I move anything on the right leg using my right foot control, (example: ball curl, heel curls, or simply move it forward or where ever.) the joints then stay in that position after I press "Ctrl z"... I can fix this my typing in 0 for my "heel twist" twice, once to reset it, and once to move the leg back to the starting position, but for some reason it likes to stay in the last place I moved it to and not follow my foot control back to the starting location.

If I need to explain things more please let me know, this has been very frustrating for me and I'm kind of trying to teach myself as I'm doing all of this.

Thank you

04 April 2014
I'm not sure what the problem is until I have a chance to look at the scene file.

But, this sounds like..

- Some ikHandle got a constraint applied directly to it.
Try grouping the ikHandle to itself once, and do constraint on the group instead.

- Freezing joints after applying an ikHandle is not what you should do. It should be done before and you might wanna make sure all the rotation values are 0.

ps. If you're planing on doing stretchy ik and/or ik/fk matching you might wanna be very careful with the joint orientation and the middle joint should stays exactly in-plane with the base and tip joint.

reply share thread