reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
Daff

portfolio
Daffy Kobby
Student of CG
Netherlands

Send a message via AIM to Daff Send a message via Yahoo to Daff
CG related stuffs are too expensive, don't you think?

You take a turn to explore the tools & wares are required for professional CGI, few examples
Nivdia K6000 at about $4,000
Wacom cintiq at about $2,000
Nuke at about $4,000
These are just the mere few, see the expense in performance capture, render farms and blah blah!
Does this go to say the CG industry is for the already wealthy ones?

Old 04-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

Well you obviously don't need all of that, you can go with more affordable models than cintiq or K6000.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Its an old topic, but a decent one.

But the answer is no. At least, this is no more expensive than many other professions out there - with the exception that it has become an order of magnitude cheaper these days than it was a short while ago. The first version of 3D Studio I ever used cost the same as a car.

There are also cheaper options for those willing to look around. Genius makes a range of tablets that are quite reasonable, you don't need the fastest graphics card, and there are free/cheap software alternatives to nearly every piece of pro equipment.

Performance capture can be done with a few XBox Kinect cameras -and in some cases just using a webcam and facial markers can do.
iClone, Mixamo and several other sources provide cheap/free motion capture libraries.

Resources like DAZ/Turbosquid give you access to THOUSANDS of excellently modelled and textured props and characters.

If you are coming from this perspective as a hobbiest, I don't think that CG is any cheaper/more expensive than many other hobbies out there. I have a friend who has a football jersey that he spent a few thousand on. I personally collect action figures and sculptures and have a rather large collection that's probably valued quite high. My brother collects antique documents and books, some of which are a few hundred years old. If you are committed to a hobby it WILL end up costing you money somewhere down the line. Hell, have you seen how expensive those scrap booking packs are?

If you are only looking at professional level software and hardware of course its going to be expensive. Its professional equipment. I'm sure that a dentists XRay machine, or drill, or a mechanics tools and computers used to analyse cars are also extremely expensive (although I would imagine MUCH cheaper than CG related software and hardware).

I also find that CG Artists (generalising I know!) have this obsession with always having the newest and latest technology. I'm using a computer that I bought around the time of Crysis 1, and only recently switched a MAX 2011...from 2009. I use Paintshop Pro (which has been discontinued).

Jurassic Park was put together with a computer that probably has as much computing power as my iPad. You don't NEED the latest tech, or the latest software. The unfortunate thing nowadays is the subscription model has very much killed buying of older software, but you don't NEED a new upgrade every year. Hell, I only use a TINY fraction of what MAX is capable of, and would probably still be using MAX 9 if Vray still supported it.

Last edited by Pyke : 04-08-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Wacom cintiq at about $2,000*
Nuke at about $4,000
These are tools you need for your craft.
Try to work as a contractor in construction or as a cab driver with your own gear and you'll laught at those puny numbers.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimski
These are tools you need for your craft.
Try to work as a contractor in construction or as a cab driver with your own gear and you'll laught at those puny numbers.

Premium tools whether hardware or software cost money, simple as that. My Dad is a press shooter and the price of pro cameras and lenses is also high. Every year or so it's at least one new DSLR at around 5000 or more, and one long lens he bought last year cost 11000!
As with all these things (hardware and software), cheaper options are available for people new to any particular field.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
artsyboy
Know-it-All

portfolio
Virgin Islands (British)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daff
You take a turn to explore the tools & wares are required for professional CGI, few examples
Wacom cintiq at about $2,000
Nuke at about $4,000

The technically competent but in other ways quite ignorant people who make these products deliberately price them in a manner that is affordable for wealthy Western countries only.

Developing countries like your's - Ghana - they don't give a shit about.

They could easily price their software at 1/2 the price or even 1/3rd for poorer African countries like Ghana.

But as I said, the people in charge of these softwares are seriously ignorant.

They are too uneducated to understand that their products should be priced lower in countries where people have much less money/income than in wealthy countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daff
Does this go to say the CG industry is for the already wealthy ones?

Yes it does. CG stuff is priced fairly for wealthy countries only.

This is done very deliberately and according to pure capitalist logic (things are much more profitable this way).

If you live in a developing country, your only hope is that you have a wealthy family member who can give you some money to help you afford these tools.

I'm sorry, but this is the sad truth.

The people who make CG tools are not ethical people, and never have been ethical people.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyboy
They could easily price their software at 1/2 the price or even 1/3rd for poorer African countries like Ghana.

No. There should NOT be price differences in regards to digital products at all. Hardware is a different issue because it costs money to ship around the world.
Hell, the fact that a digital product is subject to TAX in the country of its purchase is preposterous in itself...adding in even more price tiers because of weaker currencies is ridiculous.

Why should a company in another country have to lower its prices because the government of a different country doesn't have a stronger currency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyboy

If you live in a developing country, your only hope is that you have a wealthy family member who can give you some money to help you afford these tools.

The people who make CG tools are not ethical people, and never have been ethical people.

There are FREE ALTERNATIVES. Professional level technology should NOT be discounted 'just because'. All that would then happen is prices would go up for other countries to compensate for losses.

They are software developers, not big tobacco.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Whoa whoa whoa... some point have been raised.

First of all, since software is a product that can be multiplied digitally, in this case the size of the market and the cost of development really play a role.

Second, high quality product is costly. Wacom is expensive, but their product can last 10 to 13 years and still working (personal experience).

I wonder if these topic is now raised because Unreal Engine is now $19 per month.

And yeah, in other industries their business tools can be very expensive, the more if it help make your work easier (like stick welding and that rolling wire type), lathe machine, milling machine. My late father have a workshop (now inherited by my brother), in the good old days we do salivate over tools that we can only have many years later.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

What point has been raised exactly?
Picking, literally, the three singularly most expensive possible items in each respective category?

You don't need a k6k, a 600-800$ card will often be exactly equivalent for most people, for some even a 300$ one might be.
You don't need a cintiq at all, it's suitable for a small subsection of ONE application in CGI (people finding it comfortable in first place, and only for on-screen drawing).
You don't need Nuke unless you work in the film industry, and if you work in the film industry to the level you might NEED Nuke at you likely can afford 4 grands.

Sorry, but no, CGI "stuffs" aren't expensive at all, if anything there's an argument, in the case of software, to be made for how certain pieces of software have been depreciated to the point of damage for a considerable chunk of their userbase.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 04-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke
I also find that CG Artists (generalising I know!) have this obsession with always having the newest and latest technology. I'm using a computer that I bought around the time of Crysis 1, and only recently switched a MAX 2011...from 2009. I use Paintshop Pro (which has been discontinued).

Jurassic Park was put together with a computer that probably has as much computing power as my iPad. You don't NEED the latest tech, or the latest software.

Nailed it.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
pipdixel
Frequenter

portfolio
JTK
USA

I recall when I got my O2 and PowerAnimator 8 ..... . . .could have bought a small house instead. Luckily, I wasn't paying for it.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
abvfx
PRO

portfolio
Andrew Browne
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO

Sorry, but no, CGI "stuffs" aren't expensive at all, if anything there's an argument, in the case of software, to be made for how certain pieces of software have been depreciated to the point of damage for a considerable chunk of their userbase.

This is what i was about to say. Its now more cheaper than ever to get into CG. Open source has a lot of viable options. But even professional tools are well worth the price. Zbrush/3D Coat give users so much for their cost. And packages like Houdini have non-commercial versions with very very few limitations.

As for hardware, consumer graphics card are enough. Yes if you want the best or high performance then be expected to pay but you dont need it in imo for personal use . Zbrush doesnt even utilize your graphics card to the extent Mudbox/3D-Coat does. My home system must be around 3 years old and at that time it was considered a mid range computer. Cost about 600. A low end i7, 24 gb of ram (ddr3), and gtx670. I have only upgraded the card and that is pretty much it.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
Daff

portfolio
Daffy Kobby
Student of CG
Netherlands

I get it

I get it, all the expensive stuffs have cheaper or even free equivalent.

Last edited by Daff : 04-08-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: error

Old 04-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
Daff

portfolio
Daffy Kobby
Student of CG
Netherlands

Quote:

I'm sorry, but this is the sad truth.

I agree twice to that. It sucks to be doing CG here,
it's not surprising I'm one of the few people pioneering hardcore CG in the country, backed by huge funds.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #15
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

I found that I became a better artist when I started working with what I already have rather than looking at all the cool new tools.

reply share thread